Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: MS or Cisco certs? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t46695-re-ms-or-cisco-certs.html)

Harry 09-13-2003 04:58 PM

Re: MS or Cisco certs?

Thank you very much to both that responded so quickly.
You have helped me with what I need to do. My
greatest "fulfillment" in getting these certs I think
will be that I'd be able to keep up with all the trends,
repair and secure my pc and hopefully pass this knowledge
off to my kids. Thanks once again.

Harry

most of the concepts
>of networking etc. So unless you have a brain like a

planet this might take
>you a little longer than you think.
>
>That is really good info from billyw.
>
>You need a very solid foundation in TCP/IP, routing,

routing protocols, OSI
>layers and how computers use them in network

communication, at least some
>programming skills in the common languages used by

hackers, and much more.
>And, I'm only giving you what I know as a newbie in

studying security.

>Security is what really lights my fire too. I've found

that it isn't easy
>getting into the field, though I think the reward is

worth the effort. Many
>of the advanced certs require that you have hands-on

experience before you
>are even allowed to test for them too. I really think

that to have a really
>good grasp of security a person needs to be good in a

lot of areas: network
>administration, system administration, and programming,

and even the
>pschology of it. Then all that knowledge and experience

needs to be
>integrated together to gain the overall understand of

what you are
>protecting, why you're protecting it, how you are going

to go about doing
>that, and then understanding the different methods used

by attackers so you
>can design an overall plan of defense, and how to

respond when you are. I
>don't think that anyone can do an adequate job of

understanding security
>without quite a bit of actual experience in the areas I

listed above.

>But, all that being said, I still think the time,

effort, and dedication it
>takes to do all the above is worth it. I was where you

are a little over 2
>years ago. Now I've got my A+, I'm one test away from

my MCSE, and will be
>testing for my CCNA next week. I figure these are just

the beginning steps
>on my journey, but they are milestones anyway.
>
>Don't let the distance to go discourage you. The

journey getting there is
>half the fun. At least it is if you really do enjoy the

technology and the
>learning. In this field you'll never stop the learning

part. :)

>"Harry" <mrmouthoff@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Hello. Can anyone tell me the best route to take either
>> with MS certs or Cisco certs? My interest is mainly

going
>> for the Security certs. With all the different certs

out
>> there these days, it's hard to decide the correct path
>> for myself.
>> My little experience is that I'm at a point where I

might
>> (and stress might) be able to pass the A+ cert with

some

Gary K 09-13-2003 05:16 PM

Re: MS or Cisco certs?

BTW, Harry, that email address made me laugh.

Good luck.