Velocity Reviews

-   -   Phlips x50 laptop won't take XP Pro (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t466888-phlips-x50-laptop-wont-take-xp-pro.html)

me here 02-13-2006 09:26 AM

Phlips x50 laptop won't take XP Pro

Hi, my brother just got the philips x50 from PC World
http://tinyurl.com/8xet4 at the weekend, it came with XP Home on it.

When he got home he tried to load some stuff for work onto it (connection
software for their web based comms system), when the machine re-started it
said that winnt was missing.

Ah well thinks my brother I was going to put XP pro onto it anyway so blows
it away and starts to install Pro.

Does all the biz with getting setup details, loads the files goes through
the graphical bit (X Minutes left etc) restarts and then when it gets to the
portion saying Starting Windows it stops dead, no errors are displayed.

Any thoughts

Toolman Tim 02-14-2006 01:04 AM

Re: Phlips x50 laptop won't take XP Pro

In news:dspjbr$if4$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com,
me here spewed forth:
> Hi, my brother just got the philips x50 from PC World
> http://tinyurl.com/8xet4 at the weekend, it came with XP Home on it.
>
> When he got home he tried to load some stuff for work onto it
> (connection software for their web based comms system), when the
> machine re-started it said that winnt was missing.
>
> Ah well thinks my brother I was going to put XP pro onto it anyway so
> blows it away and starts to install Pro.
>
> Does all the biz with getting setup details, loads the files goes
> through the graphical bit (X Minutes left etc) restarts and then when
> it gets to the portion saying Starting Windows it stops dead, no
> errors are displayed.
> Any thoughts

Startup with Recovery console (you may need the XP setup CD), then run
chkdsk /r

me here 02-19-2006 10:35 AM

Re: Phlips x50 laptop won't take XP Pro

Cheers for that Toolman

Tried that and no avail

The machine didn't come with any install media so got a hold of next doors
XP Home with SP2 and it went on ok.

Tried XP pro again - just stops again, this xp is original release and no
SP.

Will try to slipstream SP2 into it and then try the install again.

Cheers