Velocity Reviews

-   -   Static electricy, how do you fight it? and a question about fried motherboards (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t466480-static-electricy-how-do-you-fight-it-and-a-question-about-fried-motherboards.html)

jeff@msn.com.net 02-04-2006 09:40 PM

Static electricy, how do you fight it? and a question about fried motherboards

Hi,

Im wondering what I should be using to fight static electricity,
something not super expensive. Do those wrist bands really work?
Where would be the best/cheapest place to buy something efficient?

Somehow I fried 5 CPUs last week, all Athlon XP chips (jesus, when
did the price skyrocket on these CPUs, its costing me a fortune to
replace them...).

The first one was due to the power button being pressed by my daughter
when there was no heat sink on the CPU (xp2100+).. my fault for
having the power plugged in.

Anyway, I think that fried the motherboard also, because when I put
another CPU in to test the mobo I think it fried that second CPU
(when I tried it on another mobo later it didn't work.)

that went on for 5 CPUs before I decided to quit.

Some of this might have happened due to static elec, that is why I was
asking the first questions.

Last question.

If I have a fried motherboard (which I am not positive of), will
installing a new CPU on the mobo cause damage to the CPU? Is there
any possibility? If so Im just going to trash the mobo.

thank you!

padingle@gmail.com 02-04-2006 09:51 PM

Re: Static electricy, how do you fight it? and a question about fried motherboards

If i were you, i'd (just to be safe and since you don't know exactly
what is wrong with it) trash the motherboard and get a new motherboard
and CPU. You should really get one of the wristbands if you plan to
fiddle around with the motherboard, and yes they do work.

PC 02-05-2006 12:55 AM

<jeff@msn.com.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>

> Im wondering what I should be using to fight static electricity,
> something not super expensive. Do those wrist bands really work?
> Where would be the best/cheapest place to buy something efficient?
>

> Somehow I fried 5 CPUs last week, all Athlon XP chips (jesus, when
> did the price skyrocket on these CPUs, its costing me a fortune to
> replace them...).
>
> The first one was due to the power button being pressed by my daughter
> when there was no heat sink on the CPU (xp2100+).. my fault for
> having the power plugged in.
>
> Anyway, I think that fried the motherboard also, because when I put
> another CPU in to test the mobo I think it fried that second CPU
> (when I tried it on another mobo later it didn't work.)
>
> that went on for 5 CPUs before I decided to quit.
>
> Some of this might have happened due to static elec, that is why I was
> asking the first questions.
>

> Last question.
>
> If I have a fried motherboard (which I am not positive of), will
> installing a new CPU on the mobo cause damage to the CPU? Is there
> any possibility? If so Im just going to trash the mobo.
>

> thank you!

Jeff

Reading your post there are several 'causes' for your losses.

1 Daughter in working area (toddler ?)
2 Working on PC with power plugged in.
3 Leaving a CPU without a heat sink.
4 'Static Electricity'
5 Gambling tendancy (x 5)

OK I'm playing 'devils advocate'

Seriously though I think you should look at what you've done and ask what
'you' need to do to prevent this happening again.

May I 'advocate'

1 Total ban of 'offspring' from the work area.
2 Disconnect the power cord (I don't advocate the ground lead only/ power
off at the wall theories either)
3 If the heat sink is not installed on a CPU 'immediately' pull the ATX
power lead off the MBoard
4 Buy yourself a 'wrist ground lead' and use it, yes they do work. For extra
safety get a Ground mat as well.
5 If it doesn't work after '2' then it's time to review and find out why.

Now you haven't said so, but I'll venture you were doing all this under some
sort of time constraint, right?
Bad move, always allow some seconds or even several minutes if possible
between changes for things to settle down.
There will be some that will poo poo that Idea, but the invariably I have
found throw it in, won't go, get hacked off, put it aside, come back to it
sime time later, and without any changes it will work.

Best Luck
Paul.

Jimmy Dean 02-05-2006 01:08 AM

On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 21:40:44 GMT, jeff@msn.com.net wrote:

>Hi,
>

>Im wondering what I should be using to fight static electricity,
>something not super expensive. Do those wrist bands really work?
>Where would be the best/cheapest place to buy something efficient?

Simpliest thing is to touch the PC case to ground yourself with your
bare hand. The wrist straps do work but they are awkward and can cause
skin irritation. Few if any pros seem to use them.

Don't wear all synthetic clothing and rubber soled shoes, and don't
work on the sort of carpet which you know from experience is
"staticy".

>Last question.
>
>If I have a fried motherboard (which I am not positive of), will
>installing a new CPU on the mobo cause damage to the CPU? Is there
>any possibility?

It is possible. In light of your wrecked CPUs experience, probably
best to discard it and get a new one.

good luck

jd

jeff@msn.com.net 02-06-2006 04:03 PM

Re: Static electricy, how do you fight it? and a question about fried motherboards

thank you all for the responses

=?iso-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= 02-07-2006 02:12 AM

Re: Static electricy, how do you fight it? and a question about fried motherboards

posted for all of us...
I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

> Hi,
>

> Im wondering what I should be using to fight static electricity,
> something not super expensive. Do those wrist bands really work?
> Where would be the best/cheapest place to buy something efficient?
>

> Somehow I fried 5 CPUs last week, all Athlon XP chips (jesus, when
> did the price skyrocket on these CPUs, its costing me a fortune to
> replace them...).
>
> The first one was due to the power button being pressed by my daughter
> when there was no heat sink on the CPU (xp2100+).. my fault for
> having the power plugged in.
>
> Anyway, I think that fried the motherboard also, because when I put
> another CPU in to test the mobo I think it fried that second CPU
> (when I tried it on another mobo later it didn't work.)
>
> that went on for 5 CPUs before I decided to quit.
>
> Some of this might have happened due to static elec, that is why I was
> asking the first questions.
>

> Last question.
>
> If I have a fried motherboard (which I am not positive of), will
> installing a new CPU on the mobo cause damage to the CPU? Is there
> any possibility? If so Im just going to trash the mobo.
>

> thank you!

I won't go into your travails but the best way to fight static is to get the
humidity up.
--
My boss said I was dumb and apathetic.
I said I don't know and I don't care...

Tekkie

Whiskers 02-07-2006 07:23 PM

On 2006-02-07, Tekkie® <Tekkie@comcast.net> wrote:
> posted for all of us...
> I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.
>
>> Hi,
>>

>> Im wondering what I should be using to fight static electricity,

snip

> I won't go into your travails but the best way to fight static is to get the
> humidity up.

OK, you know not to top-post; now learn to "snip" :))

(We'll go into attribution lines in our next lesson).

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Frosty 02-08-2006 01:49 PM

Re: Static electricy, how do you fight it? and a question about fried motherboards

What trick, what device, what starting-hole on Mon, 6 Feb 2006
21:12:19 -0500, canst thou now find out, to hide Tekkie®
<Tekkie@comcast.net> from this open and apparent shame?:

<blip>
>> Im wondering what I should be using to fight static electricity,
>> something not super expensive.

<bink>
>I won't go into your travails but the best way to fight static is to

get the
>humidity up.

I wonder how one would go about that.
Bowls of water placed around the room?
Maybe get ones wife and/or kids to stand around with spray bottles
spritzing the air?
Move to south Florida?

--

"The Borg assimilated my race, and all I got was this crummy tagline."

FML 02-08-2006 02:00 PM

Frosty wrote:
> What trick, what device, what starting-hole on Mon, 6 Feb 2006
> 21:12:19 -0500, canst thou now find out, to hide Tekkie®
> <Tekkie@comcast.net> from this open and apparent shame?:
>
> <blip>
>>> Im wondering what I should be using to fight static electricity,
>>> something not super expensive.

> <bink>
>> I won't go into your travails but the best way to fight static is to

> get the
>> humidity up.

> I wonder how one would go about that.
> Bowls of water placed around the room?
> Maybe get ones wife and/or kids to stand around with spray bottles
> spritzing the air?
> Move to south Florida?

Or one could buy a room humidifier.