Velocity Reviews

-   -   Freeview picture quality? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t466275-freeview-picture-quality.html)

Kenny 02-01-2006 09:48 AM

Freeview picture quality?

Only recently got Freewiew but the picture seems a bit washed out, colours
not as vibrant as "normal" TV picture. Thought it was faulty so got it
replaced for different brand but still the same.
Is this normal for Freeview?
Could it be a problem with my TV?
Connected to TV via standard SCART lead.

--
Kenny Cargill

SJP 02-01-2006 10:32 AM

Re: Freeview picture quality?

"Kenny" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Only recently got Freewiew but the picture seems a bit washed out, colours
> not as vibrant as "normal" TV picture. Thought it was faulty so got it
> replaced for different brand but still the same.
> Is this normal for Freeview?
> Could it be a problem with my TV?
> Connected to TV via standard SCART lead.

My freeview pic is fine. Do you have freeview box connected via quality
scart cable?

dfrog 02-01-2006 01:47 PM

"SJP" <someone@somewhere.invalid> wrote in message

> "Kenny" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> Only recently got Freewiew but the picture seems a bit washed out,
>> colours not as vibrant as "normal" TV picture. Thought it was faulty so
>> got it replaced for different brand but still the same.
>> Is this normal for Freeview?
>> Could it be a problem with my TV?
>> Connected to TV via standard SCART lead.
>>

> My freeview pic is fine. Do you have freeview box connected via quality
> scart cable?

I just got Freeview for first time also, always had what I considered a good
picture on analogue, but had a wide band arial fitted after 1 week and
picture quality improved considerably (as did ability to receive all
freeview channels without breakup:-) )

dfrog

Whiskers 02-01-2006 02:32 PM

On 2006-02-01, Kenny <me@privacy.net> wrote:
> Only recently got Freewiew but the picture seems a bit washed out, colours
> not as vibrant as "normal" TV picture. Thought it was faulty so got it
> replaced for different brand but still the same.
> Is this normal for Freeview?
> Could it be a problem with my TV?
> Connected to TV via standard SCART lead.

I find that the digital picture lacks some of the 'depth' and 'subtlety'
of the analogue version; that shouldn't be entirely surprising - after
all, the digital channel takes up a lot less bandwidth than the analogue
so some of the information has to be lost. Most of the interference is
also lost, of course.

Try adjusting the 'colour', 'brightness', and 'contrast', settings on the
TV.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Kenny 02-01-2006 06:02 PM

Re: Freeview picture quality?

Thanks for the replies. Adjusting contrast etc. does improve the quality
but then when I then switch back to normal channels these settings are too
high.
Before anyone says don't use the ordinary channels I live in N. Ireland and
we have 5 Irish channels besides the 5 UK ones and these aren't on Freeview.

--
Kenny Cargill