Velocity Reviews

-   -   Can't change wallpaper (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t465950-cant-change-wallpaper.html)

Badger 01-25-2006 10:37 PM

Can't change wallpaper

My wife has an Acer laptop running XP with SP2. For some unknown reason she
cannot access the Desktop tab in display properties. The tab is there but
doesn't do anything. For example if she has clicked the Screensaver tab and
then clicks the Desktop tab, it stays on the screensaver settings and it's
the same no matter what tab she wants to move from, the Desktop tab just
doesn't activate the Desktop settings.
I have googled for an answer to this and while there are loads of references
to the Desktop tab disappearing altogether (and I have tried all the fixes
for this to no avail), I can't find any mention of my wife's problem at all.
Does anyone have any ideas what would cause this and how to fix it?
TIA
Badger

John Inzer 01-25-2006 11:41 PM

Re: Can't change wallpaper

Badger wrote:
> My wife has an Acer laptop running XP with SP2. For some
> unknown reason she cannot access the Desktop tab in
> display properties. The tab is there but doesn't do
> anything. For example if she has clicked the Screensaver
> tab and then clicks the Desktop tab, it stays on the
> screensaver settings and it's the same no matter what tab
> she wants to move from, the Desktop tab just doesn't
> activate the Desktop settings.
> I have googled for an answer to this and while there are
> loads of references to the Desktop tab disappearing
> altogether (and I have tried all the fixes for this to no
> avail), I can't find any mention of my wife's problem at
> all. Does anyone have any ideas what would cause this and
> how to fix it?
> TIA
> Badger

================================
Maybe this is worth a try:

go to...Start / Run and type:

"REGSVR32 SHIMGVW.DLL"
(without the quotes)(Yes, there's
a space between 2 and S)

Click...OK.

A dialog box should report the following:

"DllRegisterServer in SHIMGVW.DLL succeeded"

--

John Inzer

pcbutts1 01-26-2006 03:47 AM

Re: Can't change wallpaper

Cut and paste everything between the lines and paste it into notepad. Save
the file as desktop.reg and save it to the desktop. make sure you change the
save as type.... drop down box to all files. Once saved double click on the
file to merge it into the registry. Reboot.

Begin cut below this line
================================================== =================================

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"Shell"="Explorer.exe"

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\StuckRects2]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Streams]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\StreamsMRU]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoToolbarsOnTaskbar"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoSetTaskbar"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoActiveDesktop"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"ClassicShell"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Explorer
Bars\{32683183-48a0-441b-a342-7c2a440a9478}]
@="Media Band"
"BarSize"=-

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoBandCustomize"=dword:00000000
"NoMovingBands"=dword:00000000
"NoCloseDragDropBands"=dword:00000000
"NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000
"NoSetTaskbar"=dword:00000000
"NoToolbarsOnTaskbar"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Group Policy
Objects\LocalUser\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoMovingBands"=dword:00000000
"NoCloseDragDropBands"=dword:00000000
"**del.NoMovingBands"=" "

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Group Policy
Objects\LocalUser\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Group Policy
Objects\LocalUser\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"**del.NoSaveSettings"=" "

================================================== ==================================
End cut above this line

Badger 01-26-2006 10:42 PM

Re: Can't change wallpaper

JI> Badger wrote:
??>> My wife has an Acer laptop running XP with SP2. For some
??>> unknown reason she cannot access the Desktop tab in
??>> display properties. The tab is there but doesn't do
??>> anything. For example if she has clicked the Screensaver
??>> tab and then clicks the Desktop tab, it stays on the
??>> screensaver settings and it's the same no matter what tab
??>> she wants to move from, the Desktop tab just doesn't
??>> activate the Desktop settings.
??>> I have googled for an answer to this and while there are
??>> loads of references to the Desktop tab disappearing
??>> altogether (and I have tried all the fixes for this to no
??>> avail), I can't find any mention of my wife's problem at
??>> all. Does anyone have any ideas what would cause this and
??>> how to fix it?
??>> TIA
??>> Badger

Hello, John!
You wrote on Wed, 25 Jan 2006 18:41:34 -0500:
JI> ================================
JI> Maybe this is worth a try:

JI> go to...Start / Run and type:

JI> "REGSVR32 SHIMGVW.DLL"
JI> (without the quotes)(Yes, there's
JI> a space between 2 and S)

JI> Click...OK.

JI> A dialog box should report the following:

JI> "DllRegisterServer in SHIMGVW.DLL succeeded"

Thank you very much John. I'll try it.
Badger

Badger 01-26-2006 10:43 PM

Re: Can't change wallpaper

Hello, pcbutts1!
You wrote on Wed, 25 Jan 2006 19:47:13 -0800:

p> Begin cut below this line
p> ================================================== ======================

p> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

p> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
p> NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon] "Shell"="Explorer.exe"

p> [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\S
p> tuckRects2]
p> [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\S
p> treams]
p> [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\S
p> treamsMRU]

p> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Ex
p> plorer] "NoToolbarsOnTaskbar"=dword:00000000

p> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Ex
p> plorer] "NoSetTaskbar"=dword:00000000

p> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Ex
p> plorer] "NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000

p> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Ex
p> plorer] "NoActiveDesktop"=dword:00000000

p> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Ex
p> plorer] "ClassicShell"=dword:00000000

p> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Explorer
p> Bars\{32683183-48a0-441b-a342-7c2a440a9478}]
p> @="Media Band"
p> "BarSize"=-

p> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Ex
p> plorer] "NoBandCustomize"=dword:00000000
p> "NoMovingBands"=dword:00000000
p> "NoCloseDragDropBands"=dword:00000000
p> "NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000
p> "NoSetTaskbar"=dword:00000000
p> "NoToolbarsOnTaskbar"=dword:00000000

p> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Group
p> Policy
p> Objects\LocalUser\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Exp
p> lorer] "NoMovingBands"=dword:00000000
p> "NoCloseDragDropBands"=dword:00000000
p> "**del.NoMovingBands"=" "

p> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Ex
p> plorer] "NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000

p> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Group
p> Policy
p> Objects\LocalUser\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Exp
p> lorer] "NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000

p> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Group
p> Policy
p> Objects\LocalUser\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Exp
p> lorer] "**del.NoSaveSettings"=" "

p> ================================================== ======================
p> End cut above this line

Thank you very much. I'll try it.
Badger.

Badger 01-26-2006 11:01 PM

Re: Can't change wallpaper

B> My wife has an Acer laptop running XP with SP2. For some unknown reason
B> she cannot access the Desktop tab in display properties. The tab is
B> there but doesn't do anything. For example if she has clicked the
B> Screensaver tab and then clicks the Desktop tab, it stays on the
B> screensaver settings and it's the same no matter what tab she wants to
B> move from, the Desktop tab just doesn't activate the Desktop settings.
B> I have googled for an answer to this and while there are loads of
B> references to the Desktop tab disappearing altogether (and I have tried
B> all the fixes for this to no avail), I can't find any mention of my
B> wife's problem at all. Does anyone have any ideas what would cause this
B> and how to fix it? TIA
B> Badger

Thankyou for the replies. As you were. My wife has just informed me that she
tried it again last night and it worked! Only God and Bill Gates know why!
Badger