Velocity Reviews

-   -   Connecting laptop to tower computer in truck (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t465783-connecting-laptop-to-tower-computer-in-truck.html)

richard1969@usa.com 01-22-2006 12:38 AM

Connecting laptop to tower computer in truck

I have a compaq presario, new, laptop and a dell dimension 4300 tower.
Both are in my company supplied truck. (18 wheeler that is)
What I would like to do is to connect the two so that I can access the
files on the tower and not have to transfer them to another storage
device.
The laptop has minimal connecting outlets.
The compaq has two usb ports while the tower has 6.

Anyone have any ideas on what would be the simplest or best way to
connect the two so I can use the tower at the same time as the laptop?

The compaq has XP home while the dell has Windows ME.

Thanks

Yddap 01-22-2006 01:42 AM

Re: Connecting laptop to tower computer in truck

In news:1137890306.683074.260170@g43g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com,
richard1969@usa.com <richard1969@usa.com> opined very noisily:
> I have a compaq presario, new, laptop and a dell dimension 4300 tower.
> Both are in my company supplied truck. (18 wheeler that is)
> What I would like to do is to connect the two so that I can access the
> files on the tower and not have to transfer them to another storage
> device.
> The laptop has minimal connecting outlets.
> The compaq has two usb ports while the tower has 6.
>
> Anyone have any ideas on what would be the simplest or best way to
> connect the two so I can use the tower at the same time as the laptop?
>
> The compaq has XP home while the dell has Windows ME.
>
> Thanks

Get Wi Fi on both
--

Yddap
Remove guts to reply

Unk 01-22-2006 07:32 AM

On 21 Jan 2006 16:38:26 -0800, richard1969@usa.com wrote:

>I have a compaq presario, new, laptop and a dell dimension 4300 tower.
>Both are in my company supplied truck. (18 wheeler that is)
>What I would like to do is to connect the two so that I can access the
>files on the tower and not have to transfer them to another storage
>device.
>The laptop has minimal connecting outlets.
>The compaq has two usb ports while the tower has 6.
>
>Anyone have any ideas on what would be the simplest or best way to
>connect the two so I can use the tower at the same time as the laptop?
>
>The compaq has XP home while the dell has Windows ME.
>
>Thanks

Direct cable, Crossover cable...
http://www.makeitsimple.com/how-to/simple.htm
http://smallnetbuilder.com/FAQ-27-Ge...king-0.php#241
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art...s/dccmain.html
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/qa/qa20021104.shtml
http://www.performit.co.uk/network/

Toolman Tim 01-22-2006 04:32 PM

richard1969@usa.com spewed forth:
> I have a compaq presario, new, laptop and a dell dimension 4300 tower.
> Both are in my company supplied truck. (18 wheeler that is)
> What I would like to do is to connect the two so that I can access the
> files on the tower and not have to transfer them to another storage
> device.
> The laptop has minimal connecting outlets.
> The compaq has two usb ports while the tower has 6.
>
> Anyone have any ideas on what would be the simplest or best way to
> connect the two so I can use the tower at the same time as the laptop?
>
> The compaq has XP home while the dell has Windows ME.
>
> Thanks

Truck? Richard? Stupid question? Can this possibly be the return of RTS?

--
Regardless of Public Law No. 109-162 I hereby affirm that it is
probably my intent to annoy the reader of this post. Get over it.

Oldus Fartus 01-22-2006 10:38 PM

Toolman Tim wrote:

> Truck? Richard? Stupid question? Can this possibly be the return of RTS?

Yep - little dick is back!

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

Toolman Tim 01-22-2006 10:47 PM

Re: Connecting laptop to tower computer in truck

In news:43d4097a$0$3564$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au,
Oldus Fartus spewed forth:
> Toolman Tim wrote:
>

>> Truck? Richard? Stupid question? Can this possibly be the return of
>> RTS?

> Yep - little dick is back!

That's what I was afraid of.