Velocity Reviews

-   -   Recommendations requested for stand-alone address book program (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t465741-recommendations-requested-for-stand-alone-address-book-program.html)

MaryL 01-21-2006 09:45 AM

Recommendations requested for stand-alone address book program

I am still using a very old address book program called Address Book Plus
(originally produced by the now-defunct PowerUp Company, then shifted to
Parsons Technology, and then Broderbund). I have not been able to find any
signs of active production for years. The copy I have functions very well
(despite being long-in-the-tooth) on my home computer, using Win XP-Home
Edition. Unfortunately, it will not work at the office with Win
XP-Professional. The administrator has tried several times, but it crashes
every time.

I have looked at numerous address book programs. They do not need to be
freeware or shareware -- I use this a lot and am willing to pay for one.
However, I want (1) a dedicated address book program that (2) lists all
entries in single rows to maximize the number of names I can see at a glance
*and* permits searching by simply typing a single letter -- thereby setting
in motion a search for the first entry beginning with that letter.

Can anyone suggest a newer version with those features?

Thanks,
MaryL

old jon 01-21-2006 11:05 AM

Re: Recommendations requested for stand-alone address book program

"MaryL" <stancole1@yahoo.comTAKE-OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
>I am still using a very old address book program called Address Book Plus
>(originally produced by the now-defunct PowerUp Company, then shifted to
>Parsons Technology, and then Broderbund). I have not been able to find any
>signs of active production for years. The copy I have functions very well
>(despite being long-in-the-tooth) on my home computer, using Win XP-Home
>Edition. Unfortunately, it will not work at the office with Win
>XP-Professional. The administrator has tried several times, but it crashes
>every time.
>
> I have looked at numerous address book programs. They do not need to be
> freeware or shareware -- I use this a lot and am willing to pay for one.
> However, I want (1) a dedicated address book program that (2) lists all
> entries in single rows to maximize the number of names I can see at a
> glance *and* permits searching by simply typing a single letter -- thereby
> setting in motion a search for the first entry beginning with that letter.
>
> Can anyone suggest a newer version with those features?
>
> Thanks,
> MaryL
>Have you tried making the program `Compatible` ?.

Rt\click on the .exe program \Properties\Compatibility.

--
bw..OJ

MaryL 01-21-2006 03:07 PM

"old jon" <jonbrookes@nospamntlworld.com> wrote in message

> "MaryL" <stancole1@yahoo.comTAKE-OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
>>I am still using a very old address book program called Address Book Plus
>>(originally produced by the now-defunct PowerUp Company, then shifted to
>>Parsons Technology, and then Broderbund). I have not been able to find
>>any signs of active production for years. The copy I have functions very
>>well (despite being long-in-the-tooth) on my home computer, using Win
>>XP-Home Edition. Unfortunately, it will not work at the office with Win
>>XP-Professional. The administrator has tried several times, but it
>>crashes every time.
>>
>> I have looked at numerous address book programs. They do not need to be
>> freeware or shareware -- I use this a lot and am willing to pay for one.
>> However, I want (1) a dedicated address book program that (2) lists all
>> entries in single rows to maximize the number of names I can see at a
>> glance *and* permits searching by simply typing a single letter --
>> thereby setting in motion a search for the first entry beginning with
>> that letter.
>>
>> Can anyone suggest a newer version with those features?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> MaryL
>>Have you tried making the program `Compatible` ?.

> Rt\click on the .exe program \Properties\Compatibility.
>
> --
> bw..OJ

Thanks! No, I hadn't thought of that.

This raises another potential problem: I do not have administrator rights
to the computer at my office, and the administrator will not be willing to
do anything that requires a great deal of time or work. They like most
things to be "routine." Is the compatibility wizard something that could
cause problems with other programs, or will we know almost immediately if it
will work? I do have a very large set of addresses, and I want to be able
to copy and paste the database from one computer to the other when changes
are made.

Thanks,
MaryL

Thip 01-21-2006 04:28 PM

Re: Recommendations requested for stand-alone address book program

"MaryL" <stancole1@yahoo.comTAKE-OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
>I am still using a very old address book program called Address Book Plus
>(originally produced by the now-defunct PowerUp Company, then shifted to
>Parsons Technology, and then Broderbund). I have not been able to find any
>signs of active production for years. The copy I have functions very well
>(despite being long-in-the-tooth) on my home computer, using Win XP-Home
>Edition. Unfortunately, it will not work at the office with Win
>XP-Professional. The administrator has tried several times, but it crashes
>every time.
>
> I have looked at numerous address book programs. They do not need to be
> freeware or shareware -- I use this a lot and am willing to pay for one.
> However, I want (1) a dedicated address book program that (2) lists all
> entries in single rows to maximize the number of names I can see at a
> glance *and* permits searching by simply typing a single letter -- thereby
> setting in motion a search for the first entry beginning with that letter.
>
> Can anyone suggest a newer version with those features?
>
> Thanks,
> MaryL

I don't know if this has *all* the features you're looking for, but it's a
small download:

http://www.lonewolf.gr/software/

Scroll down to @ddress Book.

sfzendog 05-29-2013 08:26 PM

Looking for Adress Book Plus

Mary L,
I've spent weeks trying to find the software for Adress Books plus again. I bought up all the paper for a Pocket size adress book years ago, and lost my software? Could you possible send it to me? Perhaps I can make it compatible.
Peter Coyote

:lol: