Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Opportunities for female MCSE's? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t46556-re-opportunities-for-female-mcses.html)

Davin Mickelson 09-04-2003 05:51 AM

Re: Opportunities for female MCSE's?

Warning: this is all my opinion, which is often wrong.

Sadly, you may find that women make less than men in the IT industry. I hope
I am wrong; I am a male. What the hell do I know? Ask other women in the IT
industry.

For women in computers, I think it's an even split between network
administration (MCSE) and software development (MCSD). I think women in
computers is cool. The MCSE certification title is something that can
enhance one's career by (slightly) helping you land in a new job or get you
a better pay raise at review time. The MCSD title carries a little more
weight because less people have it; many developers simply don't care about
getting certified.

MCSEs get more exercise. They are the people that are wiring computers,
running all over the company campus, installing hardware/software here and
there, calling people and pulling their hair out. MCSDs earn more money but
get fat because they sit at a desk, cut code and follow tight deadlines with
ample debugging. Neither group is less stressed.

Both groups must keep up with the latest technology. This means continuous
reading, experimentation, and computer certification.

This is really a tough time to break into the IT industry. It can be done
though, if you're willing to swallow your pride (low pay, crappy job) to get
your foot in the door somewhere.

Good luck to you. I love this stuff.

(I welcome other comments from anyone else.)

Sincerely,
Davin Mickelson, MCSD.NET, MCSA

"Missy" <Missy@aaanope.com> wrote in message
> I've decided to change careers from publishing to computers. In general,

do
> more females work in networking or on the development end of IT? In
> addition, what advice would you give to a person switching careers into

the

Consultant 09-04-2003 02:05 PM

Re: Opportunities for female MCSE's?

you are not wrong, they are paid far less then the males. unless you are as
good as say, laura robinson.

Laura A. Robinson 09-04-2003 02:19 PM

Re: Opportunities for female MCSE's?

circa Thu, 4 Sep 2003 00:51:54 -0500, in
microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Davin Mickelson
(corkwatchr@hotmail.com) said,
> Warning: this is all my opinion, which is often wrong.
>
> Sadly, you may find that women make less than men in the IT industry. I hope
> I am wrong; I am a male. What the hell do I know? Ask other women in the IT
> industry.

I suspect that I make more than a lot of men in the IT industry.

> For women in computers, I think it's an even split between network
> administration (MCSE) and software development (MCSD). I think women in
> computers is cool. The MCSE certification title is something that can
> enhance one's career by (slightly) helping you land in a new job or get you
> a better pay raise at review time. The MCSD title carries a little more
> weight because less people have it; many developers simply don't care about
> getting certified.

Don't bet on that one. MCSDs have as much to fight in terms of the
"paper certification" tag as MCSA/Es do. Sometimes more. "Real"
coders often view MCSDs as dilletantes or worse.

> MCSEs get more exercise. They are the people that are wiring computers,
> running all over the company campus, installing hardware/software here and
> there, calling people and pulling their hair out. MCSDs earn more money but
> get fat because they sit at a desk, cut code and follow tight deadlines with
> ample debugging. Neither group is less stressed.

Definitely a bit of overgeneralization here, IMO.

> Both groups must keep up with the latest technology. This means continuous
> reading, experimentation, and computer certification.

Yup.

> This is really a tough time to break into the IT industry.

That's an understatement.

> It can be done
> though, if you're willing to swallow your pride (low pay, crappy job) to get
> your foot in the door somewhere.

And it's even harder to do that than it used to be.

Laura

Kendal Emery 09-04-2003 02:24 PM

Re: Opportunities for female MCSE's?

Oh, I could only wish!!!!! She's my hero!

Systems Administrator
Coordinated Home Care
kemery@coordinatedhomecare.me.com
remove me to email to me

Laura A. Robinson 09-04-2003 02:29 PM

Re: Opportunities for female MCSE's?

circa Thu, 4 Sep 2003 07:05:01 -0700, in
microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Consultant
(consultant_mcngp@yahoo.com) said,
> you are not wrong, they are paid far less then the males. unless you are as
> good as say, laura robinson.

While I'm flattered, if it really is true that women are paid less on
the whole, then women need to start kicking some butts. ;-)

Laura

Consultant 09-04-2003 02:45 PM

Re: Opportunities for female MCSE's?

i would actually like to hire a couple women. any interested ladies, feel
free to send me your pics and a short bio

news:MPG.19c11654824f832c98a8d5@msnews.microsoft.c om...

Laura A. Robinson 09-04-2003 02:50 PM

Re: Opportunities for female MCSE's?

circa Thu, 4 Sep 2003 07:45:01 -0700, in
microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Consultant
(consultant_mcngp@yahoo.com) said,
> i would actually like to hire a couple women. any interested ladies, feel
> free to send me your pics and a short bio

Yes, but you're not looking to hire them for IT.

Jtyc 09-04-2003 02:53 PM

Re: Opportunities for female MCSE's?

> i would actually like to hire a couple women. any interested ladies, feel
> free to send me your pics and a short bio

What if I know someone who isn't a woman but does have a ponytail and likes
to wear leather chaps? Does that qualify?

S. O'Brien 09-04-2003 02:56 PM

Re: Opportunities for female MCSE's?

there you go with details again... do I need to get a gag order issued
against you?

--
Sue MCNGP #69
http://www.mcngp.tk