Velocity Reviews

-   -   Connecting 2nd pc by 1st pc (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t465061-connecting-2nd-pc-by-1st-pc.html)

zxhui 01-09-2006 02:43 AM

Connecting 2nd pc by 1st pc

All,

I am trying to connect my second pc online through my first pc's second
Ethernet port, the first pc go online by Bell Canada DSL. I assigned
the second port with a static IP, second pc with static IP as well and
default gateway of 2nd pc using second port's IP and DNS server using
same one like first one. My 1st pc is Windows XP home edition and 2nd
pc is 2000 pro. Any comments?

Thanks,

zxhui

Duane Arnold 01-09-2006 09:02 AM

Re: Connecting 2nd pc by 1st pc

"zxhui" <zxhui6363@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
news:1136662006.444755.234750@f14g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
> All,
>
> I am trying to connect my second pc online through my first pc's second
> Ethernet port, the first pc go online by Bell Canada DSL. I assigned
> the second port with a static IP, second pc with static IP as well and
> default gateway of 2nd pc using second port's IP and DNS server using
> same one like first one. My 1st pc is Windows XP home edition and 2nd
> pc is 2000 pro. Any comments?

Go get yourself a cheap NAT router and make it easy on yourslef and keep it
simple.

Duane :)

Mitch 01-09-2006 10:05 AM

Re: Connecting 2nd pc by 1st pc

In article <1136662006.444755.234750@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups .com>,
zxhui <zxhui6363@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> All,
>
> I am trying to connect my second pc online through my first pc's second
> Ethernet port, the first pc go online by Bell Canada DSL. I assigned
> the second port with a static IP, second pc with static IP as well and
> default gateway of 2nd pc using second port's IP and DNS server using
> same one like first one. My 1st pc is Windows XP home edition and 2nd
> pc is 2000 pro. Any comments?

They can't both have the same IP.
The second one will not be connecting through it's own network
services, but sharing the connection that the first one has; look for
info on sharing the network connection.

Gutz 01-09-2006 10:27 AM

Re: Connecting 2nd pc by 1st pc

"zxhui" <zxhui6363@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
news:1136662006.444755.234750@f14g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
> All,
>
> I am trying to connect my second pc online through my first pc's second
> Ethernet port, the first pc go online by Bell Canada DSL. I assigned
> the second port with a static IP, second pc with static IP as well and
> default gateway of 2nd pc using second port's IP and DNS server using
> same one like first one. My 1st pc is Windows XP home edition and 2nd
> pc is 2000 pro. Any comments?
>
> Thanks,
>
> zxhui

You need to share the internet connection on the 1st PC then give them
seperate IPs like you were running a network. 1st pc: 192.168.0.1, 2nd pc:
192.168.0.2 (this is on the ethernet connections of both). Then set the dns
of the 2nd pc to the ip of the 1st pc and voila.