Velocity Reviews

-   -   question about network install (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t46497-question-about-network-install.html)

roYal 08-30-2003 01:06 AM

question about network install

I have this question on a MSPress 70-215 book that confuses me.

Q: You are installing Windows 2000 over the network. Before you install to a
client computer, what must you do?

A: Locate the path to the shared installation files on the distribution
server. create a 671MB FAT partition on the target computer (2 GB
recommended). Create a client disk with a network client so that you can
connect from the computer, without an operating system, to the distribution
server.

So my question is, why do you have to create a FAT Partition before running
a network install? Why cant you just pop in a network boot up disk, with no
partitions on the drive, run the winnt switch to start the network setup,
and have text mode create the partition for you like you how you usually can
doing a manual install from a cd?

Marko 08-30-2003 01:38 AM

question about network install

>Q: You are installing Windows 2000 over the network.
Before you install to a
>client computer, what must you do?

>So my question is, why do you have to create a FAT

Partition before running

I would not take very long to set your scenario up and
actually try it. Are you in a position to do that? If
not, can you say why not?

It is likely the question will be answered one way or
another. If my memory serves me, the answer is actually
in the MS Press book as to why it will not work as you
described. Clue: Where are the temporary installation
files installed since, after the first reboot, the client
no longer communicates with the network share?

roYal 08-30-2003 02:06 AM

Re: question about network install

yes, i know about the temporary files, but when lets say you install from a
cd, it still needs the temporary files, so why wouldn't it need a
partitioned/formatted drive if you're installing from cd then?

roYal 08-30-2003 02:16 AM

Re: question about network install

also, do you have to format the partition before doing a RIS install just
like doing a regular network install?

Marko 08-30-2003 03:44 AM

Re: question about network install

>yes, i know about the temporary files, but when lets say
you install from a
>cd, it still needs the temporary files, so why wouldn't

it need a
>partitioned/formatted drive if you're installing from cd

then?

They are different temporary files in each case.

CD Install creates a partition of your choice but, even
after the reboot, has access to the install files on the
CD. The whole i386 folder is not copied.

Problem with network install is that you lose the network
connection after the first reboot. Whole i386 folder is
copied.

Marko 08-30-2003 03:49 AM

Re: question about network install

>also, do you have to format the partition before doing a

RIS install just
>like doing a regular network install?

What does your book say? My copy of the MS Press book has
the answer printed in it.

Sorry - just realise that answering every question for you
without you at least having a go yourself sets a bad
precedence for this newsgroup to get flooded with pleas of
help from people who can't be bothered looking for answers
themselves.

No Wait - I think that's already happening....

roYal 08-30-2003 03:56 AM

Re: question about network install

i'm in the 70-215, this book doesn't really cover RIS. I think that's in
216, i was just curious, sorry.

Marko 08-30-2003 04:23 AM

Re: question about network install

Fair enough

Try www.microsoft.com/technet and run a search on RIS
windows 2000 professional. I just did and a lot of very
useful resources came up. One of the first was:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?
url=/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/deploy/depopt/remo
sad.asp

Webster 08-30-2003 01:34 PM

"roYal" <roYal@wideopenwest.com> wrote in message
> i'm in the 70-215, this book doesn't really cover RIS. I think that's in
> 216, i was just curious, sorry.

Then setup a RIS Server and get the experience. That is what I did to help
study for 210, 215 and 270. You will learn a whole lot more from attempting
to setup RIS than reading about RIS. You will learn a whole lot more trying
to get RIS to work with an XP Pro image.

Once you get RIS up and going then you can play with RIPrep and custom
images "for different departments" (a scenario you WILL run across on the
real exams).

You will learn a lot getting RIS up and functioning: AD, DNS, DHCP, creating
RIS boot diskettes, installing OS images, creating the myriad INI files and
while you are at it leanr to use Network Monitor to scan your PXE Boot DHCP
traffic. Once you do that you can learn how to prestage computers in RIS
(217 exam requires this knowledge) (use Network Monitor to get the GUID for
prestaging).

See what all you can learn by doing it yourself. Then when the questions
come up on the exams that are so easy to answer. Learning RIS, answer files
and DNS will breeze you through 215, 216, 217 and 218.

HTH

Webster

roYal 08-30-2003 01:42 PM

Re: question about network install

yes, i have 2 test computers already. However, i'm at the beginning of
70-215. The reason why i was asking this question is, i don't want to just
read, and get a small comprehension, and move on. I want to understand
completely. Once i start learning more about dns, dhcp, probably when i get
to 70-216, i will set up my server, which is already setup with AD and DNS,
and once i start learning about DHCP and stuff, i will create RIS, and use
my 2nd computer, install winxp on it, and start usign RIPREP and stuff and
creating answer files. I love learning this stuff!