Velocity Reviews

-   -   Win2k RIS (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t46490-win2k-ris.html)

Ben Freeman 08-29-2003 05:39 PM

Win2k RIS

I have an RIS server running on a Windows 2000 server and
i just received 20 new desktops to deploy. I have my RIS
server setup to accept all requests. Since it's a pain in
the butt to setup all the GUIDS ahead of time in AD. And
we're a small corp so security isn't a HUGE deal. Anyway,
my problem is that every single one of these new machines
gives me the same error message when I get right past the
authentication part of the RIS install. Right BEFORE it
shows me the list of OS's to install. The error message
reads something like "A duplicate GUID has been found in
the directory services and install can not continue.
Please consult your system administrator."

These are BRAND new machines, out of the box. How in gods
name can a duplicate GUID exist in AD already? I've looked
all over the web, including technet and newsgroups and
found nothing on how to fix this. I've found plenty about
the error message itself existing but nothing about how to
resolve the issue. Any help would be MUCH appreciated.
Thanks ahead of time.

-Ben Freeman

Herb Martin 08-29-2003 10:17 PM

Re: Win2k RIS

Did you somehow enter a "stock GUID" or something
when creating the computer accounts?

Do you pre-create the computer accounts when not using
the GUID?

Try doing it live during one of the installs (as long as you
are an Admin/Account operator/have the right/permissions
necessary this is no big deal.)

Have you searched the exact error message at the MS
Support site (support.Microsoft.com) and/or in TechNet
and Google (plus newsgroups?)

In other words, I don't know the answer but that is how
I would approach it....<grin>

--
Herb Martin

Ben Freeman 09-02-2003 02:46 PM

Re: Win2k RIS

Thanks for the help guys.. I actually got around the
problem by prepping AD with the computer accounts and
associated GUIDS of all the new machines. That was just
more of a pain then I wanted it to be. And yes, I tried
both a Sysprep image and a regular Symmantec Ghost image
not Sysprepped. I'll keep searching around a bit more just
out of curiosity and if I come across the answer to why it
was doing that i'll post it here. I don't think it had to
do with the images themselves though because you get that
error message RIGHT before the screen where you select
which image you want to use. A couple of them aren't even
ghosted images, just images created on the RIS server
itself of clean OS installs. Oh well it's a mystery.

- Ben Freeman