Velocity Reviews

-   -   Cleaning laptop screen (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t464875-cleaning-laptop-screen.html)

keon.starfire@gmail.com 01-05-2006 08:27 PM

Cleaning laptop screen

Somehow I've managed to get about forty fingerprint smudges all over my
laptop screen. What would you suggest to clean this? I've tried water
and a damp cloth but it just smears and ultimately looks worse...

A relatively inexpensive and repeatable solution would be most
preferable.

*KS*

Fuzzy Logic 01-05-2006 09:16 PM

Re: Cleaning laptop screen

keon.starfire@gmail.com wrote in news:1136492823.632652.162350
@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

http://wiki.ehow.com/Clean-a-Laptop-...ehold-Products

why? 01-05-2006 09:37 PM

Re: Cleaning laptop screen

On 5 Jan 2006 12:27:03 -0800, keon wrote:

>Somehow I've managed to get about forty fingerprint smudges all over my
>laptop screen. What would you suggest to clean this? I've tried water
>and a damp cloth but it just smears and ultimately looks worse...

Water works, a barely damp cloth.

It would, you have to clean it on a regular basis, you need a good
quality cleaning cloth and with very light pressure (remember barely
damp) wipe the same area for several minutes. It may take a few days to
remove some marks, doing just a little at a time. Also work in 1
direction only say up/down not circular.

You may also get away with just a tiny bit of very mild washing up
(diskes) liquid soap or a tiny bit of plain hand soap to get started.
Although you should check what the manufacturer says, and do some
searching with www.google.com

See previous posts in 24HSHD, using
http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?
lookup the message id codes, the bit between <...> in the box at the
bottom of the search page.

Search for the Message-ID: <vgm0j1tonije85tqu8mmr8t9a26a560j4u@4ax.com>
Cleaning laptop--screen/fingerpad--suggestions??
.... google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk? search for - lcd clean or
servisol
wipes , lots of suppliers. ripped from a previous post ...
Sep 21 2005, 2:05 am by why? - 7 messages - 6 authors

Cleaning LCD screen
.... or so. I use Servisol Engineers Wipes, which were sold locally as
suitable
for LCDs (website doesn't list them anymore). To clean ...
Nov 13 2004, 3:50 am by why? - 12 messages - 7 authors

May 18 2004, 9:41 pm by why? - 10 messages - 8 authors

>A relatively inexpensive and repeatable solution would be most
>preferable.

To see the full threads and other comments,
http://groups.google.com/group/24hou...or%3Awhy%3F&qt
or shorter
http://makeashorterlink.com/?Q4DA35B6C

Not for getting to try searching - lcd screen clean
from http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk?
for other posts.

>*KS*

Me

Plato 01-05-2006 11:52 PM

Re: Cleaning laptop screen

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootlist/238.htm#1

Toolman Tim 01-06-2006 12:14 AM

Re: Cleaning laptop screen

In news:1136492823.632652.162350@g43g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com,
keon.starfire@gmail.com spewed forth:
> Somehow I've managed to get about forty fingerprint smudges all over
> my laptop screen. What would you suggest to clean this? I've tried
> water and a damp cloth but it just smears and ultimately looks
> worse...
>
> A relatively inexpensive and repeatable solution would be most
> preferable.
>
> *KS*

80 grit sandpaper oughta do the job.

Fred 01-06-2006 12:50 AM

Re: Cleaning laptop screen

"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
> keon.starfire@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> Somehow I've managed to get about forty fingerprint smudges all over my
>> laptop screen. What would you suggest to clean this? I've tried water
>> and a damp cloth but it just smears and ultimately looks worse...

> http://www.bootdisk.com/bootlist/238.htm#1

I've been using a spray on household window cleaner with paper towels for
years on my laptop screen. Does this mean I have to buy a new laptop??

Plato 01-06-2006 01:15 AM

Re: Cleaning laptop screen

Fred wrote:

> >> Somehow I've managed to get about forty fingerprint smudges all over my
> >> laptop screen. What would you suggest to clean this? I've tried water
> >> and a damp cloth but it just smears and ultimately looks worse...

> > http://www.bootdisk.com/bootlist/238.htm#1

> I've been using a spray on household window cleaner with paper towels for
> years on my laptop screen. Does this mean I have to buy a new laptop??

Yes. I always say "It's always best to fix what aint broke".

Whiskers 01-06-2006 01:48 PM

Re: Cleaning laptop screen

On 2006-01-05, keon.starfire@gmail.com <keon.starfire@gmail.com> wrote:
> Somehow I've managed to get about forty fingerprint smudges all over my
> laptop screen. What would you suggest to clean this? I've tried water
> and a damp cloth but it just smears and ultimately looks worse...
>
> A relatively inexpensive and repeatable solution would be most
> preferable.
>
> *KS*

I find that one of those 'microfibre' cloths with the soft/course texture
(look a bit woolly) works very well. Dry, to remove loose dust, then damp
to shift the more stubborn stuff. Only ever use the very lightest touch -
be patient, and eventually the marks will go. Do make sure that there is
no grit in the cloth!

--
-- Whiskers