Velocity Reviews

-   -   RAID HDDs not Visible (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t464663-raid-hdds-not-visible.html)

Bishoop 01-01-2006 06:47 PM

RAID HDDs not Visible

I just installed a second instance of Windows XP Pro on another partition in
my PC to do some testing with a fresh install of the OS.

Separate from the HDD where the OS is installed there are two drives in a
RAID config connected to a Promise controller. They are visible in Windows
Explorer from the original Win installation but not visible in the new
instance I just installed.

Any suggestions on how to make them visible?

Thanks....

Cub 01-01-2006 08:00 PM

Re: RAID HDDs not Visible

"Bishoop" <none@none.none> wrote in message
news:KuOdncGghL4wviXenZ2dnUVZ_t6dnZ2d@giganews.com ...
>I just installed a second instance of Windows XP Pro on another partition
>in my PC to do some testing with a fresh install of the OS.
>
> Separate from the HDD where the OS is installed there are two drives in a
> RAID config connected to a Promise controller. They are visible in
> Windows Explorer from the original Win installation but not visible in the
> new instance I just installed.
>
> Any suggestions on how to make them visible?
>
> Thanks....

Did you install the promise drivers during the new OS install ((Hit F6 etc
for manufacturers drivers etc)

Cub

Bishoop 01-01-2006 08:10 PM

Re: RAID HDDs not Visible

"Cub" <trevor@remwhipnet.plus.com> wrote in message

> "Bishoop" <none@none.none> wrote in message
> news:KuOdncGghL4wviXenZ2dnUVZ_t6dnZ2d@giganews.com ...
>>I just installed a second instance of Windows XP Pro on another partition
>>in my PC to do some testing with a fresh install of the OS.
>>
>> Separate from the HDD where the OS is installed there are two drives in a
>> RAID config connected to a Promise controller. They are visible in
>> Windows Explorer from the original Win installation but not visible in
>> the new instance I just installed.
>>
>> Any suggestions on how to make them visible?
>>
>> Thanks....
>>

> Did you install the promise drivers during the new OS install ((Hit F6 etc
> for manufacturers drivers etc)
>
> Cub

Thanks Cub, I'm sure that's it. It has been so long since I installed the
OS and I forgot all about that step.

One of the "benefits" of getting old.

Thanks again....

Walter Mautner 01-02-2006 12:24 AM

Re: RAID HDDs not Visible

Bishoop wrote:

> "Cub" <trevor@remwhipnet.plus.com> wrote in message

>> Did you install the promise drivers during the new OS install ((Hit F6
>> etc for manufacturers drivers etc)

> Thanks Cub, I'm sure that's it. It has been so long since I installed
> the OS and I forgot all about that step.
>
> One of the "benefits" of getting old.

No worry, dig for the promise drivers. Since they are not necessary for
booting, they can as well be installed afterwards. Go take a look at
promise homepage, and check the exact type of your controller.

Linux 2.6.12-mm2 [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]