Velocity Reviews

-   -   mcse vs. mcsa (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t46466-mcse-vs-mcsa.html)

SWE 08-28-2003 06:43 PM

mcse vs. mcsa

i'm currently pursuing my mcse (and ccna). i already have a+, network+, just passed 70-215, and taking 70-210 and 70-216 shortly.

from what i've read about mcse and mcsa it seems like the mcsa is easier to obtain, more about managing rather than implementing. (1) if there are two people in a company, one with mcse and one with mcsa, is the mcsa more likely to be the supervisor/manager of the mcse? i don't really see how you could be an mcsa and manage a network, without having the experience of an mcse. (2) that said, would it be worth taking the extra exam or two after i get my mcse, to also be an mcsa, so that i could pursue a management position? i've been doing network administration for about three years and eventually i'd like to step back from the day-to-day hands on.

your thoughts and input would be appreciated.

AJS1976 08-28-2003 08:11 PM

Re: mcse vs. mcsa

Most people consider the MCSE the higher ranking cert. An MCSA would just do the day-to-day crap, while an MCSE would design the network and put it in place. In theory anway.

JTT 08-28-2003 08:16 PM

Re: mcse vs. mcsa

I actually went for the MCSE as part of the requirements to be IP Certified
with Cisco and also obtained my MCSA as a result of the tests I chose to get
the MCSE. As a matter of fact, on the 6th test I took the survey asked when
I planned on finishing my MCSA and I chose never, it wasn't part of my plan.
I took the following tests in the order listed which resulted in both the
MCSA and MCSE (was MCSA after 6 and MCSE after the 7th):
70-270 Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft® Windows®
XP Professional
70-215 Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft® Windows®
2000 Server
70-216 Implementing and Administering a Microsoft® Windows® 2000
Network Infrastructure
70-217 Implementing and Administering a Microsoft® Windows® 2000
Directory Services Infrastructure
70-224 Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft® Exchange
2000 Server
70-218 Managing a Windows 2000 Network Environment
70-220 Designing Security for a Microsoft® Windows® 2000 Network

I'm not sure what to tell you on how the rest of the industry views it. I
do know that if you were to apply at my company, I would choose someone that
was MCSE over someone that was MCSA with everything else being the same. So
honestly, I would look at the tests and go for the MCSE and get your MCSA on
your way to that goal. I happened to choose tests that I had the most
experience with when it came to electives, and it paid off.

JTT

Maestro 08-28-2003 09:18 PM

mcse vs. mcsa

Go to Microsoft's website where all of your questions can
be answered. I don't know where you got your information,
but your notion of what an MCSE/MCSA are is wayyyyy off!

http://www.microsoft.com/mcp

Maestro 08-28-2003 09:20 PM

Re: mcse vs. mcsa

This is gettting to be very scary. The two certs aren't
even geared towards the same job description!!!

S. O'Brien 08-28-2003 09:33 PM

Re: mcse vs. mcsa

"SWE" <none@none> wrote in message
i'm currently pursuing my mcse (and ccna). i already have a+, network+, just
passed 70-215, and taking 70-210 and 70-216 shortly.

from what i've read about mcse and mcsa it seems like the mcsa is easier to
obtain, more about managing rather than implementing. (1) if there are two
people in a company, one with mcse and one with mcsa, is the mcsa more
likely to be the supervisor/manager of the mcse? i don't really see how you
could be an mcsa and manage a network, without having the experience of an
mcse. (2) that said, would it be worth taking the extra exam or two after i
get my mcse, to also be an mcsa, so that i could pursue a management
position? i've been doing network administration for about three years and
eventually i'd like to step back from the day-to-day hands on.

your thoughts and input would be appreciated.

_____________________________

very simple... MCSA will get you a job as an inbound phone lackie (ie tech)
MCSE will get you a job as an inbound phone lackie (ie tech). Maybe after 5
years or so of experience you will see the difference between the two but
right now? hell no!! Get both? Get one? pick one... depends on where you
want to be in 5 years. You could get your MCSA, get that call center job
and continue working for your MCSE... or you could get both and still be a
phone lackie. Basically depends on your dedication to the field and your
own future.

I have my MCSE/MCSA 2000, CCNA, CNA, and A+... and guess where I was
working???? A CALL CENTER!! Does that stop me? nope... studying for my
2003 certs now... evenutally it will catch up with me and I will be ready
for it.

chose what is best for YOU... no one else

lol ok I'm done being nice for one day :P

--
Sue MCNGP # 69

http://www.mcngp.tk
The MCNGP Team - We're here to help

James D. Murray 08-28-2003 10:23 PM

Re: mcse vs. mcsa

> I have my MCSE/MCSA 2000, CCNA, CNA, and A+... and guess where I was
> working???? A CALL CENTER!! Does that stop me? nope... studying for my
> 2003 certs now... evenutally it will catch up with me and I will be ready
> for it.

Geez...maybe you should give up on IT and start looking into being a
software developer and getting your MCAD/MCSD instead.

S. O'Brien 08-28-2003 10:33 PM

Re: mcse vs. mcsa

"James D. Murray" <james{at}idstouch{dot}com> wrote in message

> > I have my MCSE/MCSA 2000, CCNA, CNA, and A+... and guess where I was
> > working???? A CALL CENTER!! Does that stop me? nope... studying for

my
> > 2003 certs now... evenutally it will catch up with me and I will be

ready
> > for it.
> >

> Geez...maybe you should give up on IT and start looking into being a
> software developer and getting your MCAD/MCSD instead.

no thanks... you need a certain thought pattern to be a developer... and it
does not reside in my head... have to be realistic... I have a very
mathematical/artisic brain (according to IQ testing)... so I can imagine
what a network will look like but could not program any programs for the
same reason... I could not picture code in my head to form a pattern... nice
thought though

:)

Consultant 09-03-2003 08:20 PM

Re: mcse vs. mcsa