Velocity Reviews

-   -   Laptop power supply (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t464567-laptop-power-supply.html)

Chris 12-30-2005 08:56 PM

Laptop power supply

We have a Toshiba Satellite 1130 Laptop. The 18v AC adaptor is basically
knackered at the small jackplug input point to the computer. I've had
several put on at an electricians but they're obviously not robust enough,
one just fell apart when I extracted it today. A replacement from Toshiba
costs 55, I'm not a skinflint but won't just any generic power cables do?

burris 12-30-2005 09:12 PM

Re: Laptop power supply

Chris wrote:
> We have a Toshiba Satellite 1130 Laptop. The 18v AC adaptor is basically
> knackered at the small jackplug input point to the computer. I've had
> several put on at an electricians but they're obviously not robust enough,
> one just fell apart when I extracted it today. A replacement from Toshiba
> costs 55, I'm not a skinflint but won't just any generic power cables do?

I don't think so....

Look on Ebay. I just got one, brand new for a 2400..comes from Hong
Kong..I think the price was $5.95 + $14.95 shipping. Not a bad deal. It
was a buy now entry....

AGEE 12-31-2005 09:19 AM

Re: Laptop power supply

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 20:56:37 +0000 (UTC), "Chris" <bla@bla.com> wrote:

>We have a Toshiba Satellite 1130 Laptop. The 18v AC adaptor is basically
>knackered at the small jackplug input point to the computer. I've had
>several put on at an electricians but they're obviously not robust enough,
>one just fell apart when I extracted it today. A replacement from Toshiba
>costs 55, I'm not a skinflint but won't just any generic power cables do?

Provided it can match the voltage and power requirements of the laptop
yes. I've had a couple of PSUs for laptops go in the last year. One of
them with the problem you describe. I could have fixed it but the
users would have buggered it up again in weeks. Replaced them with
universal PSUs from the shop under our office for 29 ea.

Meat Plow 12-31-2005 03:59 PM

Re: Laptop power supply

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 20:56:37 +0000, Chris wrote:

> We have a Toshiba Satellite 1130 Laptop. The 18v AC adaptor is basically
> knackered at the small jackplug input point to the computer. I've had
> several put on at an electricians but they're obviously not robust enough,
> one just fell apart when I extracted it today. A replacement from Toshiba
> costs 55, I'm not a skinflint but won't just any generic power cables do?

Make sure it has the correct watt rating, the polarity of the tip and the
voltage is the same and yes, it will be fine. I own 4 laptops by the way
and use generic supplies for all.