Velocity Reviews

-   -   Can't connect to wireless router (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t464197-cant-connect-to-wireless-router.html)

Tim Witort 12-21-2005 01:10 AM

Can't connect to wireless router

I'm trying to configure a Netgear WGR614v5 wireless router
as a wireless access point. I have 3 PCs on my network -
two XP machines and one Win2K machine. I use ICS on the
Win2K machine to share a dial-up connection with the two
XP machines. The two XP machines have static IP addresses
and are directed to the 2K machine's IP as a gateway.
I'm hoping to use this Netgear router I have
as an access point rather than buying a dedicated access point.
Hey, I'm cheap.

Netgear actually has instructions on how to do this, but
I must be doing something wrong because I get to a certain
point and I can no longer connect to the router's setup
page.

The default setting is that the router has its DHCP server
turned on and its IP is 192.168.1.1. So I connect one of
my XP machines directly to one of the 4 LAN ports on the
router, set the XP machine to use DHCP to get its IP and
DNS settings, then turn on the router and reboot the PC.
The PC get assigned IP 192.168.1.2. When I open a browser
and go to 192.168.1.1\basicsetting.htm as instructed by
the Netgear info, I get the setup page fine. The instructions
say to turn of the router's DHCP server, which I do. Then
I'm supposed to change the router's IP address to 192.168.0.99
which I do. When the IP is changed, I lose the connection
with the router which is fine because this is expected and
mentioned in Netgear's instructions. The instructions then
say to hook the router up to the rest of the LAN and that
I can now connect to the router via its new IP address.
I attach the router to one of the ports on my switch, but
I cannot reach the router from any PC. IE just times out
every time. The router cannot be ping-ed either.

The only time I've been able to connect to the router
after turning off its DHCP server and changing its IP is
when I change its IP to 192.168.1.99 rather than .0.99,
then keep the XP machine directly attached to the router,
and keep the XP machine's IP address at 192.168.1.2.
Switching from the x.x.1.x subnet to the x.x.0.x subnet
seems to render the router unreachable.

Sorry this is so long, but is there any hope of getting
this thing to act as a WAP or do I have to shell out
the $60 for a true WAP?

-- TRW
_______________________________________
t r w 7
at
i x dot n e t c o m dot c o m
_______________________________________

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?= 12-21-2005 01:31 AM

Re: Can't connect to wireless router

Tim Witort wrote:
> I'm trying to configure a Netgear WGR614v5 wireless router
> as a wireless access point. I have 3 PCs on my network -
> two XP machines and one Win2K machine. I use ICS on the
> Win2K machine to share a dial-up connection with the two
> XP machines. The two XP machines have static IP addresses
> and are directed to the 2K machine's IP as a gateway.
> I'm hoping to use this Netgear router I have
> as an access point rather than buying a dedicated access point.
> Hey, I'm cheap.
>
> Netgear actually has instructions on how to do this, but
> I must be doing something wrong because I get to a certain
> point and I can no longer connect to the router's setup
> page.
>
> The default setting is that the router has its DHCP server
> turned on and its IP is 192.168.1.1. So I connect one of
> my XP machines directly to one of the 4 LAN ports on the
> router, set the XP machine to use DHCP to get its IP and
> DNS settings, then turn on the router and reboot the PC.
> The PC get assigned IP 192.168.1.2. When I open a browser
> and go to 192.168.1.1\basicsetting.htm as instructed by
> the Netgear info, I get the setup page fine. The instructions
> say to turn of the router's DHCP server, which I do. Then
> I'm supposed to change the router's IP address to 192.168.0.99
> which I do. When the IP is changed, I lose the connection
> with the router which is fine because this is expected and
> mentioned in Netgear's instructions. The instructions then
> say to hook the router up to the rest of the LAN and that
> I can now connect to the router via its new IP address.
> I attach the router to one of the ports on my switch, but
> I cannot reach the router from any PC. IE just times out
> every time. The router cannot be ping-ed either.
>
> The only time I've been able to connect to the router
> after turning off its DHCP server and changing its IP is
> when I change its IP to 192.168.1.99 rather than .0.99,
> then keep the XP machine directly attached to the router,
> and keep the XP machine's IP address at 192.168.1.2.
> Switching from the x.x.1.x subnet to the x.x.0.x subnet
> seems to render the router unreachable.
>
> Sorry this is so long, but is there any hope of getting
> this thing to act as a WAP or do I have to shell out
> the $60 for a true WAP?

Either I'm missing it or you didn't say, but once you turn off DHCP with
the router set to the subnet of x.x.0.x, you'll have to manually
configure any computer connecting to it to that subnet. DHCP is off so
there's no automatic IP assigned, and it has to be the same subnet to
communicate.

Ralph Wade Phillips 12-21-2005 03:36 AM

Re: Can't connect to wireless router

Howdy!

"Tim Witort" <trw7at@ixdot.netcomdotcom> wrote in message
news:Xns9732AEC4DDF38timwitortwrotethis@207.217.12 5.201...

<snipped tale of woe on trying to set up a Netgear WGR614v5 wireless router
as a wireless access point>

I'll add one note to Roger's statements - you never DID tell us what the IPs
and subnet are for the current machines.

AND - what port are you using to connect the router to the network?

RwP

Tim Witort 12-21-2005 05:07 AM

Re: Can't connect to wireless router

Ralph Wade Phillips seemed to utter in

> Howdy!
>
> "Tim Witort" <trw7at@ixdot.netcomdotcom> wrote in message
> news:Xns9732AEC4DDF38timwitortwrotethis@207.217.12 5.201...
>
> <snipped tale of woe on trying to set up a Netgear WGR614v5 wireless
> router as a wireless access point>
>
> I'll add one note to Roger's statements - you never DID tell us what
> the IPs and subnet are for the current machines.
>
> AND - what port are you using to connect the router to the network?

Sorry for those ommissions. After battling this for a while
it all becomes a blur.

My Win2K machine (the ICS host) is 192.168.0.1, the XP
machines are 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.3. I'm connecting
the router to the network using one of the 4 ethernet
ports available on the router with a Cat5 ethernet patch
cable (not a Xover cable) going into one of the ethernet
ports on my little 5-port switch.
can
connect
Router IP router connected to to router?
------------- ------------------------ ------
192.168.1.1 XP machine (192.168.1.2) yes
192.168.1.99 XP machine (192.168.1.2) yes
192.168.0.99 XP machine (192.168.0.3) no
192.168.0.99 switch no

It's as if the router is not set to a x.x.1.x subnet, it
can't be reached. Since Netgear's website says they don't
"support" using the router as a WAP and only offer the
instructions as a "service to customers", I'm wondering
if this is going to work. It seems I'm so close. Does
the connection from the router to the switch need to be
a xover cable? I thought that was only needed when
connecting to machines directly from one NIC to the other.

-- TRW
_______________________________________
t r w 7
at
i x dot n e t c o m dot c o m
_______________________________________

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?= 12-21-2005 05:29 AM

Tim Witort wrote:
> Sorry for those ommissions. After battling this for a while
> it all becomes a blur.
>
> My Win2K machine (the ICS host) is 192.168.0.1, the XP
> machines are 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.3. I'm connecting
> the router to the network using one of the 4 ethernet
> ports available on the router with a Cat5 ethernet patch
> cable (not a Xover cable) going into one of the ethernet
> ports on my little 5-port switch.
> can
> connect
> Router IP router connected to to router?
> ------------- ------------------------ ------
> 192.168.1.1 XP machine (192.168.1.2) yes
> 192.168.1.99 XP machine (192.168.1.2) yes
> 192.168.0.99 XP machine (192.168.0.3) no
> 192.168.0.99 switch no
>
> It's as if the router is not set to a x.x.1.x subnet, it
> can't be reached. Since Netgear's website says they don't
> "support" using the router as a WAP and only offer the
> instructions as a "service to customers", I'm wondering
> if this is going to work. It seems I'm so close. Does
> the connection from the router to the switch need to be
> a xover cable? I thought that was only needed when
> connecting to machines directly from one NIC to the other.

About the crossover cable, it depends. Most switches now automatically
detect which to use and adjust accordingly. If there's an "uplink" port
try that. Or try the crossover cable. You won't break anything by
experimenting.

You could try turning off DHCP on the router and set it and each of the
computers to a fixed IP, all in the 192.168.1.x subnet. There's nothing
special about the x.x.0.x subnet.

Tim Witort 12-21-2005 07:34 AM

Re: Can't connect to wireless router

Rgr seemed to utter in news:43a8e886$0$1697$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com:

> Tim Witort wrote:
>> Sorry for those ommissions. After battling this for a while
>> it all becomes a blur.
>>
>> My Win2K machine (the ICS host) is 192.168.0.1, the XP
>> machines are 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.3. I'm connecting
>> the router to the network using one of the 4 ethernet
>> ports available on the router with a Cat5 ethernet patch
>> cable (not a Xover cable) going into one of the ethernet
>> ports on my little 5-port switch.
>> can
>> connect
>> Router IP router connected to to router?
>> ------------- ------------------------ ------
>> 192.168.1.1 XP machine (192.168.1.2) yes
>> 192.168.1.99 XP machine (192.168.1.2) yes
>> 192.168.0.99 XP machine (192.168.0.3) no
>> 192.168.0.99 switch no
>>
>> It's as if the router is not set to a x.x.1.x subnet, it
>> can't be reached. Since Netgear's website says they don't
>> "support" using the router as a WAP and only offer the
>> instructions as a "service to customers", I'm wondering
>> if this is going to work. It seems I'm so close. Does
>> the connection from the router to the switch need to be
>> a xover cable? I thought that was only needed when
>> connecting to machines directly from one NIC to the other.

> About the crossover cable, it depends. Most switches now automatically
> detect which to use and adjust accordingly. If there's an "uplink" port
> try that. Or try the crossover cable. You won't break anything by
> experimenting.
>
> You could try turning off DHCP on the router and set it and each of the
> computers to a fixed IP, all in the 192.168.1.x subnet. There's nothing
> special about the x.x.0.x subnet.

Thanks, Rgr. I'll give those options a try.

-- TRW
_______________________________________
t r w 7
at
i x dot n e t c o m dot c o m
_______________________________________

Tim Witort 12-21-2005 09:00 PM

Re: Can't connect to wireless router

Tim Witort seemed to utter in news:Xns9732EFE2E7353timwitortwrotethis@
207.217.125.201:

> Rgr seemed to utter in news:43a8e886$0$1697$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com:
>
>> Tim Witort wrote:
>>> Sorry for those ommissions. After battling this for a while
>>> it all becomes a blur.
>>>
>>> My Win2K machine (the ICS host) is 192.168.0.1, the XP
>>> machines are 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.3. I'm connecting
>>> the router to the network using one of the 4 ethernet
>>> ports available on the router with a Cat5 ethernet patch
>>> cable (not a Xover cable) going into one of the ethernet
>>> ports on my little 5-port switch.
>>> can
>>> connect
>>> Router IP router connected to to router?
>>> ------------- ------------------------ ------
>>> 192.168.1.1 XP machine (192.168.1.2) yes
>>> 192.168.1.99 XP machine (192.168.1.2) yes
>>> 192.168.0.99 XP machine (192.168.0.3) no
>>> 192.168.0.99 switch no
>>>
>>> It's as if the router is not set to a x.x.1.x subnet, it
>>> can't be reached. Since Netgear's website says they don't
>>> "support" using the router as a WAP and only offer the
>>> instructions as a "service to customers", I'm wondering
>>> if this is going to work. It seems I'm so close. Does
>>> the connection from the router to the switch need to be
>>> a xover cable? I thought that was only needed when
>>> connecting to machines directly from one NIC to the other.

>> About the crossover cable, it depends. Most switches now automatically
>> detect which to use and adjust accordingly. If there's an "uplink" port
>> try that. Or try the crossover cable. You won't break anything by
>> experimenting.
>>
>> You could try turning off DHCP on the router and set it and each of the
>> computers to a fixed IP, all in the 192.168.1.x subnet. There's nothing
>> special about the x.x.0.x subnet.

> Thanks, Rgr. I'll give those options a try.
>
> -- TRW
> _______________________________________
> t r w 7
> at
> i x dot n e t c o m dot c o m
> _______________________________________

Well, chaning all of my machines to the 192.168.1.x subnet
allowed me to connect to the router. Odd that it doesn't
like the 192.168.0.x subnet! This is not to say all was
fine and dandy after that... the router would not enable
its wireless radio even though its status said it was on.
The front panel indicator for wireless did not turn on and
no wireless machines could see it. After some research
in the Netgear forums, I found an obscure workaround that
finally turned on the wireless radio and it seem to be
working now.

thanks for the help

-- TRW
t r w 7