Velocity Reviews

-   -   Dell Latitude Wireless problem (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t463702-dell-latitude-wireless-problem.html)

fybar 12-13-2005 06:57 AM

Dell Latitude Wireless problem

I have a Dell d800 that is having connection problems with my WRT54GS
Linksys router. I have a couple of other computers with wireless cabablity
that are not having any difficulty so I don't think it is the router. For
the sake of testing I disabled the encryption on the router which will be
reconfigured as soon as I get this working reliably.

Basically the connection will just cut out. I will be surfing, getting
pretty good throughput, then I will get messages asking me if I want to
work offline from IE.

Previously I wasn't having any problems. Two months ago I was using my
Dell wirelessly at a friend's place, same router, but there was a two month
gap where I was 'wired' and didn't try out the wireless capability. It is
possible that an update is the culprit?

fybar

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?= 12-13-2005 07:35 AM

Re: Dell Latitude Wireless problem

fybar wrote:
> I have a Dell d800 that is having connection problems with my WRT54GS
> Linksys router. I have a couple of other computers with wireless cabablity
> that are not having any difficulty so I don't think it is the router. For
> the sake of testing I disabled the encryption on the router which will be
> reconfigured as soon as I get this working reliably.
>
> Basically the connection will just cut out. I will be surfing, getting
> pretty good throughput, then I will get messages asking me if I want to
> work offline from IE.
>
> Previously I wasn't having any problems. Two months ago I was using my
> Dell wirelessly at a friend's place, same router, but there was a two month
> gap where I was 'wired' and didn't try out the wireless capability. It is
> possible that an update is the culprit?

Have you tried turning off Wireless Zero Configuration?

Phil Ardussi 12-13-2005 01:02 PM

Re: Dell Latitude Wireless problem

I've had the same problem with the same Linksys Model.

How do you turn off Wireless Zero Configuration?

fybar 12-13-2005 04:13 PM

Re: Dell Latitude Wireless problem

"Phil Ardussi" <pardussi2@earthlink.net> wrote in
news:3Eznf.3433$3Z.326@newsread1.news.atl.earthlin k.net:
> "Rgr" <abuse@your.isp.com> wrote in message
>> fybar wrote:
>>> I have a Dell d800 that is having connection problems with my
>>> WRT54GS Linksys router. I have a couple of other computers with
>>> wireless cabablity that are not having any difficulty so I don't
>>> think it is the router. For the sake of testing I disabled the
>>> encryption on the router which will be reconfigured as soon as I get
>>> this working reliably.
>>>
>>> Basically the connection will just cut out. I will be surfing,
>>> getting pretty good throughput, then I will get messages asking me
>>> if I want to work offline from IE.
>>>
>>> Previously I wasn't having any problems. Two months ago I was using
>>> my Dell wirelessly at a friend's place, same router, but there was a
>>> two month gap where I was 'wired' and didn't try out the wireless
>>> capability. It is possible that an update is the culprit?

>> Have you tried turning off Wireless Zero Configuration?

> I've had the same problem with the same Linksys Model.
>
> How do you turn off Wireless Zero Configuration?

I did that and it worked. One of the ways to turn it off:

Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services

Find Wireless Zero Configuration in the list of services and right click
on it. Then select stop. This will stop it.

I did this and then had to go through a different kind of network setup
wizard to get wirelesss up, but it worked, no drop outs. So, now that I
am pretty sure that this was the problem, I right clicked on Wireless
Zero Configuration again and chose properties. There is a drop down list
on the General tab that is labelled as Startup type and I changed it from
Automatic to Disabled. I think that should do it.

Thanks Rog!

fybar