Velocity Reviews

-   -   FDISK /MBR question (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t463080-fdisk-mbr-question.html)

Trent SC 12-06-2005 03:35 PM

FDISK /MBR question

Am I right in thinking that the above command will repair a hard drive's
master boot record WITHOUT deleting any of the data contained on the drive?
It's a single-partition hard drive on a standard Dell-shipped machine.

TIA

Ralph Wade Phillips 12-06-2005 03:44 PM

Re: FDISK /MBR question

Howdy!

"Trent SC" <invalid@bogoff.invalid> wrote in message
> Am I right in thinking that the above command will repair a hard drive's
> master boot record WITHOUT deleting any of the data contained on the

drive?
> It's a single-partition hard drive on a standard Dell-shipped machine.

Depends on what's wrong with the boot partition.

RwP

Trent SC 12-06-2005 04:04 PM

Re: FDISK /MBR question

>> Am I right in thinking that the above command will repair a hard drive's
>> master boot record WITHOUT deleting any of the data contained on the
>> drive? It's a single-partition hard drive on a standard Dell-shipped
>> machine.
>>
>> TIA
>>

> If you`ve had linux on your machine. you`ve probably had a boot loader on
> your MBR. fdisk /MBR wiil put your boot record back to the standard
> Windows MBR.
> bw..OJ

It's a standard machine which came with XP preinstalled. No other OS's on
there. AVG is reporting some MBR errors, and I'll be going over to see it
this evening, so I wanted to check if this option was do'able as one of the
possible solutions.

old jon 12-06-2005 04:05 PM

Re: FDISK /MBR question

Noel Paton 12-06-2005 04:09 PM

Re: FDISK /MBR question

>>> Am I right in thinking that the above command will repair a hard drive's
>>> master boot record WITHOUT deleting any of the data contained on the
>>> drive? It's a single-partition hard drive on a standard Dell-shipped
>>> machine.
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>

>> If you`ve had linux on your machine. you`ve probably had a boot loader on
>> your MBR. fdisk /MBR wiil put your boot record back to the standard
>> Windows MBR.
>> bw..OJ

> It's a standard machine which came with XP preinstalled. No other OS's on
> there. AVG is reporting some MBR errors, and I'll be going over to see it
> this evening, so I wanted to check if this option was do'able as one of
> the possible solutions.

There is nothing wrong with the MBR - it's a common problem at present with
AVG - ignore the error!!!

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.crashfixpc.com/millsrpch.htm

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

old jon 12-06-2005 04:12 PM

Re: FDISK /MBR question

"Trent SC" <invalid@bogoff.invalid> wrote in message
>>> Am I right in thinking that the above command will repair a hard drive's
>>> master boot record WITHOUT deleting any of the data contained on the
>>> drive? It's a single-partition hard drive on a standard Dell-shipped
>>> machine.
>>>
>>> TIA

snipped mine

> It's a standard machine which came with XP preinstalled. No other OS's on
> there. AVG is reporting some MBR errors, and I'll be going over to see it
> this evening, so I wanted to check if this option was do'able as one of
> the possible solutions.

AVG does show changes on several items. This has been asked before on here.
Whether the AVG forums have any info on that, I don`t know.
It`s never bothered me tho`.
Good luck for tonight.
bw..OJ

Trax 12-06-2005 04:23 PM

Re: FDISK /MBR question

"Trent SC" <invalid@bogoff.invalid> wrote:

|>Am I right in thinking that the above command will repair a hard drive's
|>master boot record WITHOUT deleting any of the data contained on the drive?
|>It's a single-partition hard drive on a standard Dell-shipped machine.

In most cases yes, it only rewrites the boot sector and not the
partition tables.

Use the correct version of format, if you use Win98 format.com on an
XP OS your not going to boot up (in XP).

--
Hubble DVD's - Free downloads
http://www.spacetelescope.org/videos...ve/topic/dvd//

Trent SC 12-06-2005 04:23 PM

Re: FDISK /MBR question

> snipped mine
>>
>> It's a standard machine which came with XP preinstalled. No other OS's
>> on there. AVG is reporting some MBR errors, and I'll be going over to
>> see it this evening, so I wanted to check if this option was do'able as
>> one of the possible solutions.
>>

> AVG does show changes on several items. This has been asked before on
> here.
> Whether the AVG forums have any info on that, I don`t know.
> It`s never bothered me tho`.
> Good luck for tonight.
> bw..OJ

Thanks to you and Noel for the reassurance.

12-06-2005 04:28 PM

Re: FDISK /MBR question

"Trent SC" <invalid@bogoff.invalid> wrote in message
> Am I right in thinking that the above command will repair a hard drive's
> master boot record WITHOUT deleting any of the data contained on the
> drive? It's a single-partition hard drive on a standard Dell-shipped
> machine.

The command you mention will erase the first 460 bytes of the MBR (master
boot record, the first physical sector of the hard drive and *outside* any
partition) which is the boot program. It overwrites that area with a
standard boot program. If you had anything else in the MBR boot program
area, you will wipe it out. Examples of other programs that occupy the boot
program area are: GoBack, multiboot managers, disk overlay managers (to
compensate for an old BIOS that cannot support large hard drives), and
security software (often which encrypts/decrypts the bytes within the
partitions or disk). So whether you should overwrite the MBR boot program
depends entirely on what is already there.

Also, a virus can move the partition table so it is not in the standard
offset within the MBR. The standard MBR boot program only knows to look in
the standard offset to find the partition table. The infected boot program
knows where to find the relocated partition table but the standard boot
program won't know where to look. The result is that the standard boot
program cannot find the partition table, tries to use whatever bytes are in
the standard offset for the partition table entries, and you end up not
being to access your partitions anymore.

If you want to overwrite the MBR boot program, first use a bootable floppy
to use a MBR backup utility to save what it already there. Then stomp on
the MBR boot program area using FDISK /MBR (or FIXMBR for Win2000/XP). Then
you can restore the old MBR boot program in case you really need it.

There is no "repairing" of the MBR boot program when using FDISK /MBR (or
FIXMBR). You end up OVERWRITING all those bytes.

12-06-2005 04:29 PM

Re: FDISK /MBR question

"Trent SC" <invalid@bogoff.invalid> wrote in message
>>> Am I right in thinking that the above command will repair a hard drive's
>>> master boot record WITHOUT deleting any of the data contained on the
>>> drive? It's a single-partition hard drive on a standard Dell-shipped
>>> machine.
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>

>> If you`ve had linux on your machine. you`ve probably had a boot loader on
>> your MBR. fdisk /MBR wiil put your boot record back to the standard
>> Windows MBR.
>> bw..OJ

> It's a standard machine which came with XP preinstalled. No other OS's on
> there. AVG is reporting some MBR errors, and I'll be going over to see it
> this evening, so I wanted to check if this option was do'able as one of
> the possible solutions.

The MBR is fine. AVG is ****ed up. You will have to wait until Grisoft
fixes their AVG product. A Google search on "+AVG +MBR" would have shown
other users reporting the same problem and the responses.