Velocity Reviews

-   -   Plain Text & Rich Text Formats Not Behaving: Thoughts On ? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t462644-plain-text-and-rich-text-formats-not-behaving-thoughts-on.html)

Robert11 11-27-2005 02:29 PM

Plain Text & Rich Text Formats Not Behaving: Thoughts On ?

Hello:

Always something new and "interesting" with my outlook Express.
Running XP and OE 6.

I have under Tools/Options/Compose for MAIL and News my fonts set to 10 point, Regular, Ariel.

This is what shows up correctly if I click on the Rich Text HTML button when I compose or receive anyrthing.

But, if I click the Format/ Plain Text button, it shows up in a larger Font, and apparently bolded.
Sure isn't 10 point, Regular, Ariel.

Never happened before.

Any thoughts on ?

Thanks,
Bob

Old Gringo 11-27-2005 02:47 PM

Re: Plain Text & Rich Text Formats Not Behaving: Thoughts On ?

On or about Sunday, November 27, 2005, 8:29:23 AM,, In the
24hoursupport.helpdesk News Group, Without Any Hesitation Robert11
Wrote The Following:

> Hello:
>
> Always something new and "interesting" with my outlook Express.
> Running XP and OE 6.
>
> I have under Tools/Options/Compose for MAIL and News my fonts set to 10 point, Regular, Ariel.
>
> This is what shows up correctly if I click on the Rich Text HTML button when I compose or receive anyrthing.
>
> But, if I click the Format/ Plain Text button, it shows up in a larger Font, and apparently bolded.
> Sure isn't 10 point, Regular, Ariel.
>
> Never happened before.
>
> Any thoughts on ?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

I have discovered over the past 13 years that a computer will only do
what it is told. You might want to check your settings for both Rich
and Plain text.
--
Old Gringo
The Future Is Not What It Use To Be

samuel 11-27-2005 03:26 PM

Re: Plain Text & Rich Text Formats Not Behaving: Thoughts On ?

turn off HTML ugly

Mike Easter 11-27-2005 03:34 PM

Re: Plain Text & Rich Text Formats Not Behaving: Thoughts On ?

Robert11 wrote:

You are making a newsgroup post here in html. You should be configured
to post to all newsgroups in plaintext. It is also best to email in
plaintext unless you have some specific html related purpose for the
email and you are also 'comprehensively' familiar with not only which
mailreader your recipient will be using, but also exactly how that
particular has their mailreader configured.

If you aren't familiar with how your own agent is configured, it isn't
likely that you will be completely knowledgeable about how someone
else's agent is configured in every section.

You should change the Send in OE/ Tools/ Options/ Send tab - news
sending format - check plaintext, not html

> I have under Tools/Options/Compose for MAIL and News my fonts set to
> 10 point, Regular, Ariel.

Compose is in the tab which controls the default font for composing html
email and news. You shouldn't be posting to a newsgroup in html. See
above.

> This is what shows up correctly if I click on the Rich Text HTML
> button when I compose or receive anyrthing.

What you see when you are composing something in html is an entirely
different subject than what you see when you are receiving something in
plaintext *OR* html. And, what you see when you are composing something
in plaintext, which you /should/ be, is controlled by your /reading/
font choices, because your sending font choices are designed to
configure html sending.

Your plaintext sending font reading choices are to be made by your
recipient.

If you are properly configured to send in plaintext, the font you are
seeing when you are composing a plaintext message is controlled in the
reading section.

> But, if I click the Format/ Plain Text button, it shows up in a
> larger Font, and apparently bolded.
> Sure isn't 10 point, Regular, Ariel.

When you are configured in the Send as plaintext, you control what font
you see when you are typing in the Read section.

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter 11-27-2005 03:55 PM

Robert11 wrote:

> I have under Tools/Options/Compose for MAIL and News my fonts set to
> 10 point, Regular, Ariel.

Forget about html. Send all of your mail and newsmessages as plaintext.

OE/ Tools/ Options/ Send tab - check plaintext for news and check
plaintext for mail.

> This is what shows up correctly if I click on the Rich Text HTML
> button when I compose or receive anyrthing.

You should also be reading html in plaintext as a security measure.

OE/ Tools/ Options/ Read tab - top section - read all messages in plaint
text.

> But, if I click the Format/ Plain Text button, it shows up in a
> larger Font, and apparently bolded.
> Sure isn't 10 point, Regular, Ariel.

You control your plaintext reading and composing font in that same tab
section

OE/ Tools/ Options/ Read tab - Fonts button - controls the size and font
for both proportional plaintext as well as fixed width. That section
also controls the default encoding. By default, your reading and
composing will be in proportional, but if you are reading a message and
you want it to be in fixed width or a larger/smaller font, you control
that in View/ Text size - which can make the font larger, smaller, or
fixed. You can also change the encoding in there. Any changes in that
view fall back to the default when that message is closed.

--
Mike Easter

Whiskers 11-27-2005 06:21 PM

On 2005-11-27, Robert11 <rgsros@notme.com> wrote:

> Hello:
>
> Always something new and "interesting" with my outlook Express.
> Running XP and OE 6.
>
> I have under Tools/Options/Compose for MAIL and News my fonts set to 10
> point, Regular, Ariel.
>
> This is what shows up correctly if I click on the Rich Text HTML button
> when I compose or receive anyrthing.
>
> But, if I click the Format/ Plain Text button, it shows up in a larger
> Font, and apparently bolded. Sure isn't 10 point, Regular, Ariel.
>
> Never happened before.
>
> Any thoughts on ?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

Why would your settings for "rich text" have any effect on your settings
for "plain text"? Two different things.

Please don't use 'rich text' for posting to newsgroups. It's very
difficult for some people to read, and wastes a lot of bandwidth.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Toolman Tim 11-27-2005 09:31 PM

Re: Plain Text & Rich Text Formats Not Behaving: Thoughts On ?

In news:q1ap53-hnn.ln1@ID-107770.user.individual.net,
Whiskers spewed forth:
> On 2005-11-27, Robert11 <rgsros@notme.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello:
>>
>> Always something new and "interesting" with my outlook Express.
>> Running XP and OE 6.
>>
>> I have under Tools/Options/Compose for MAIL and News my fonts set to
>> 10 point, Regular, Ariel.
>>
>> This is what shows up correctly if I click on the Rich Text HTML
>> button when I compose or receive anyrthing.
>>
>> But, if I click the Format/ Plain Text button, it shows up in a
>> larger Font, and apparently bolded. Sure isn't 10 point, Regular,
>> Ariel.
>>
>> Never happened before.
>>
>> Any thoughts on ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bob

> Why would your settings for "rich text" have any effect on your
> settings for "plain text"? Two different things.
>
> Please don't use 'rich text' for posting to newsgroups. It's very
> difficult for some people to read, and wastes a lot of bandwidth.

To be specific, wouldn't HTML mess up the automatic readers used by
sight-impaired users?

--
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Sherwood Shark 11-28-2005 01:10 AM

Robert11 wrote:
> Always something new and "interesting" with my outlook Express.

[snip]
> Any thoughts on ?

Try Mozilla Thunderbird:

Warren

Whiskers 11-28-2005 09:20 PM

On 2005-11-27, Toolman Tim <no.spam.for.tcm@my.email.is.invalid> wrote:
> In news:q1ap53-hnn.ln1@ID-107770.user.individual.net,
> Whiskers spewed forth:

snip

>> Please don't use 'rich text' for posting to newsgroups. It's very
>> difficult for some people to read, and wastes a lot of bandwidth.

> To be specific, wouldn't HTML mess up the automatic readers used by
> sight-impaired users?

So I've heard; makes sense. Plain-text software is also flummoxed by it
(fortunately, slrn has a macro to extract content from HTML coding, which
works pretty well).

Some news-servers drop any HTML posts in text groups.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Mitch 11-28-2005 10:29 PM

Re: Plain Text & Rich Text Formats Not Behaving: Thoughts On ?

In article <eu8s53-0cd.ln1@ID-107770.user.individual.net>, Whiskers
<catwheezel@operamail.com> wrote:

> Some news-servers drop any HTML posts in text groups.

And some newsreaders clean up HTML and just ignore it; as long as it is
properly formatted.
I would like to think modern TTL tools would be able to do that, but
I'm not sure they have money to develop such things frequently.