Velocity Reviews

-   -   Win98 box intermittantly getting 'No permission to access resource' error (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t461187-win98-box-intermittantly-getting-no-permission-to-access-resource-error.html)

Remmy 11-06-2005 05:22 PM

Win98 box intermittantly getting 'No permission to access resource' error

We have a small peer to peer network setup with 4 computers. Two computers
are running WinXP Pro, one is running Mac OSX, and the 4th is running Win98
(we have a custom app running on the '98 box that will not run on XP).

The network has been setup and working fine for years. Recently when
browsing the network from the '98 box we can see (ping, etc...) the other
computers listed in Network Neighborhood but sometimes can not access the
resources. The message is

"\\Mac (or other computer name) not accessible

No permission to access resource."

When this happens I can only see the name of the other computer in Network
Neighborhood, but cant get a level lower to actually see the shared
resources (printers & directories).

This can happen trying to access the XP machines or the Mac. If one machine
is not accessible the other still are (eg. I can access XP box A & the Mac,
but not the XP box B, OR I can access both XP box A and B, but not the Mac,
etc...)

Rebooting the '98 box and the non accessible machine several times fixes the
problem, but it will happen again either with the same machine, or different
machines several days later (all computers are shut down at night, so
basically it is hit or miss whether we will be able to connect to a
particular machine when everything is started up cold).

Boot order of the machines doesn't make a difference as the problem can
happen even if just the '98 box and only one other computer are turned on.

When a computer is not accessible to the '98 box it still is to the other
computers.

All firewalls have been disabled.

I have deleted the PWL file on the 98 box and re-entered passwords for the
shares.

Any ideas on how to correct this would be appreciated as it has been working
flawlessly for years. Nothing has changed on the '98 box and no software has
been installed recently.

TIA

John Holmes 11-06-2005 05:30 PM

Re: Win98 box intermittantly getting 'No permission to access resource' error

Remmy blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> We have a

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

> TIA

Oh dear...

--
Your mother was a cruel weasel who checked every trashcan for cigarette
butts in disused mines.

Duane Arnold 11-06-2005 06:03 PM

"Remmy" <N@NE.nothing> wrote in news:1131297752.132996@boromir:

> We have a small peer to peer network setup with 4 computers. Two
> computers are running WinXP Pro, one is running Mac OSX, and the 4th
> is running Win98 (we have a custom app running on the '98 box that
> will not run on XP).
>
> The network has been setup and working fine for years. Recently when
> browsing the network from the '98 box we can see (ping, etc...) the
> other computers listed in Network Neighborhood but sometimes can not
> access the resources. The message is
>
> "\\Mac (or other computer name) not accessible
>
> No permission to access resource."
>

> When this happens I can only see the name of the other computer in
> Network Neighborhood, but cant get a level lower to actually see the
> shared resources (printers & directories).
>

> This can happen trying to access the XP machines or the Mac. If one
> machine is not accessible the other still are (eg. I can access XP box
> A & the Mac, but not the XP box B, OR I can access both XP box A and
> B, but not the Mac, etc...)
>
> Rebooting the '98 box and the non accessible machine several times
> fixes the problem, but it will happen again either with the same
> machine, or different machines several days later (all computers are
> shut down at night, so basically it is hit or miss whether we will be
> able to connect to a particular machine when everything is started up
> cold).
>
> Boot order of the machines doesn't make a difference as the problem
> can happen even if just the '98 box and only one other computer are
> turned on.
>
> When a computer is not accessible to the '98 box it still is to the
> other computers.
>
> All firewalls have been disabled.
>
> I have deleted the PWL file on the 98 box and re-entered passwords for
> the shares.
>
> Any ideas on how to correct this would be appreciated as it has been
> working flawlessly for years. Nothing has changed on the '98 box and
> no software has been installed recently.

You can only have so many concurrent connections to the XP machine and
Pro is 10 at one time. I am not talking about 10 computers with a single
connection with 10 computers concurrently connected at one time to a
machine. One machine could have more than one connection to the XP
machine based on the applications or programs running on a machine for
the machine doing the connecting.

So if one machine has 6 connections open concurrently to a machine, one
machine has 3 open, another one has 1 open to that same machine and
another machine tries to connect to that machine, the last machine is
going to get kicked to the curb with access denied.

You should check to see how many connections are open on the machine when
you start having this problem.

This problem could be happening in the case where one machine is acting
as the gateway computer for the network instead of using a router as the
gateway device in a P2P.

Duane :)

Remmy 11-06-2005 06:14 PM

Re: Win98 box intermittantly getting 'No permission to access resource' error

All machines are using the Router as the gateway.

This problem can happen immediately after boot/reboot, with only Win '98 box
and one other computer turned on (no connections to XP box).

When this problem happens the other computers can still connect to each
other (XP box A wont let '98 box connect, but XP box B can still connect
even if it was not previously connected).

Everything has been working great for years. Now with no changes to
hardware/software/or usage we are having this problem.

Thanks

news:Xns9706665D2940Enotmenotmecom@207.217.125.201 ...

Duane Arnold 11-06-2005 06:22 PM

"Remmy" <N@NE.nothing> wrote in news:1131300902.940985@faramir:

> All machines are using the Router as the gateway.
>
> This problem can happen immediately after boot/reboot, with only Win
> '98 box and one other computer turned on (no connections to XP box).
>
> When this problem happens the other computers can still connect to
> each other (XP box A wont let '98 box connect, but XP box B can still
> connect even if it was not previously connected).
>
> Everything has been working great for years. Now with no changes to
> hardware/software/or usage we are having this problem.

How long have you had the router? Maybe, it's on it's way out. They don't
last for ever.

Duane :)

Remmy 11-06-2005 06:30 PM

Re: Win98 box intermittantly getting 'No permission to access resource' error

Doubt it is the router as I can still see the other computers from Win98
box, also other computers are not having this problem. Internet etc. still
working fine on '98 Box. Multiple reboots of computers (not router fixes
problem)

news:Xns97066980C6076notmenotmecom@207.217.125.201 ...

Duane Arnold 11-06-2005 06:44 PM

Re: Win98 box intermittantly getting 'No permission to access resource' error

The NIC doesn't last forever either. You mentioned Win 9'x as the O/S. Is
the machine that old with the NIC? Have you tried another NIC in the
machine? You say it's not the router but you're having network problems.
That leaves the NIC and the wire.

Duane :)

Mitch 11-06-2005 07:00 PM

In article <1131301614.834966@aragorn>, Remmy <N@NE.nothing> wrote:

> Doubt it is the router as I can still see the other computers from Win98
> box, also other computers are not having this problem. Internet etc. still
> working fine on '98 Box. Multiple reboots of computers (not router fixes
> problem)

You can still see the other computers, or the computers and files
merely APPEAR to be there?
The proof is in being able to open a file on the other computer.

Mitch 11-06-2005 07:03 PM

In article <1131297752.132996@boromir>, Remmy <N@NE.nothing> wrote:

> We have a small peer to peer network setup with 4 computers. Two computers
> are running WinXP Pro, one is running Mac OSX, and the 4th is running Win98
> (we have a custom app running on the '98 box that will not run on XP).

If you start up the various machines in the same sequence each time,
and access them in the same sequence each time, does the same machine
(the last one) remain inaccessible each time?

Have you tried power cycling the router? Does the router get powered
down differently now than it used to?

Remmy 11-06-2005 07:04 PM

Re: Win98 box intermittantly getting 'No permission to access resource' error

The NIC is a few years old.

Dont think it is a 'networking' problem persay. I think it is more of a
permission problem.
Remember that I when access is denied to one computer I can still access
other computers.

news:Xns97066D4D4B0F3notmenotmecom@207.217.125.201 ...