Velocity Reviews

-   -   problems with Internet Explorer (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t460982-problems-with-internet-explorer.html)

Paul Bennett 11-03-2005 12:10 PM

problems with Internet Explorer

I recently re-installed Windows XP Home Edition to alleviate a problem I was
having. prior to this Internet Explorer was working perfectly. since
reinstalling Windows I cannot access the internet. Pipex helpdesk told me to
try Mozilla Firefox which also does not work and he suggested that the
problem might lie with Port 80 which both of the browsers operate through.
the only thing is that I don't know what to do to check whether this might
be the case and what to do if it is the problem. any ideas?

Paul Bennett

Michael Thompson 11-03-2005 12:29 PM

Re: problems with Internet Explorer

Paul Bennett bashed at the keyboard and came up with this gem of wisdom in
24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> I recently re-installed Windows XP Home Edition to alleviate a problem I
> was having. prior to this Internet Explorer was working perfectly. since
> reinstalling Windows I cannot access the internet. Pipex helpdesk told me
> to try Mozilla Firefox which also does not work and he suggested that the
> problem might lie with Port 80 which both of the browsers operate through.
> the only thing is that I don't know what to do to check whether this might
> be the case and what to do if it is the problem. any ideas?
>
> Paul Bennett

Tech support obviously are clueless?

Michael Thompson 11-03-2005 12:41 PM

Re: problems with Internet Explorer

Paul Bennett bashed at the keyboard and came up with this gem of wisdom in
24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> I recently re-installed Windows XP Home Edition to alleviate a problem I
> was having. prior to this Internet Explorer was working perfectly. since
> reinstalling Windows I cannot access the internet. Pipex helpdesk told me
> to try Mozilla Firefox which also does not work and he suggested that the
> problem might lie with Port 80 which both of the browsers operate through.
> the only thing is that I don't know what to do to check whether this might
> be the case and what to do if it is the problem. any ideas?
>
> Paul Bennett

Are you running a firewall? If so check to make sure that it is not blocking
port 80 TCP.

Anything else running on Port 80? File sharing etc?

Can you see out the internet? Ping www.google.com?

Paul Bennett 11-03-2005 12:51 PM

Re: problems with Internet Explorer

first of all how do i check that nothing is sharing Port 80 and yes i was
able to Ping the BBC site so there is no problem with the conn ction. can
you also type slowly as i am not particularly gifted in the techie dept.

Michael Thompson 11-03-2005 01:34 PM

Re: problems with Internet Explorer

Paul Bennett bashed at the keyboard and came up with this gem of wisdom in
24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> first of all how do i check that nothing is sharing Port 80 and yes i was
> able to Ping the BBC site so there is no problem with the conn ction. can
> you also type slowly as i am not particularly gifted in the techie dept.

Type slowly? Ok, what the hell ever.

FIRST:

ARE YOU R U N N I N G ANY SOFTWARE FIREWALLS / ROUTERS?

Paul Bennett 11-03-2005 02:14 PM

Re: problems with Internet Explorer

OK no need to shout.
i have Zone Alarm and Windows Service Pack 2 Firewall but have tried IE
with both disabled at the same time with no improvement. also after recent
advice have disabled ZoneAlarm firewall permanently so that there is no
conflict.

Tony 11-03-2005 02:21 PM

Re: problems with Internet Explorer

Can you type in an IP address in Explorer instead of the URL and get to
a web site?

Andrew 11-03-2005 02:46 PM

Re: problems with Internet Explorer

On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 13:34:26 +0000, Michael Thompson
<news@thompsonmike.co.uk> wrote:

>Paul Bennett bashed at the keyboard and came up with this gem of wisdom in
>24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>

>> first of all how do i check that nothing is sharing Port 80 and yes i was
>> able to Ping the BBC site so there is no problem with the conn ction. can
>> you also type slowly as i am not particularly gifted in the techie dept.

>Type slowly? Ok, what the hell ever.
>
>FIRST:
>
>ARE YOU R U N N I N G ANY SOFTWARE FIREWALLS / ROUTERS?

Michael Thomson has provided the same service as an abusive janitor..
maybe he got sacked ... we don't know...all we can suggest is that
everyone ignore his uncontrollable *******s ! As should He.

Jim Byrd 11-03-2005 04:59 PM

Re: problems with Internet Explorer

Hi Paul - This is likely a corruption of your Winsock2 stack. The following
is from my Blog, Defending Your Machine, addy below in my Signature:

#########IMPORTANT#########
Before you try to remove spyware using any of the programs below, download
both a copy of LSPFIX here:
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

AND a copy of Winsockfix for W95, W98, and ME
http://www.tacktech.com/pub/winsockfix/WinsockFix.zip
Directions here: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=257

or here for Win2k/XP
http://files.webattack.com/localdl834/WinsockxpFix.exe
Info and download here: http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html
Directions here: http://www.iup.edu/house/resnet/winfix.shtm

The process of removing certain malware may kill your internet connection.
If this should occur, these programs, LSPFIX and WINSOCKFIX, will enable you
to regain your connection.

NOTE: It is reported that in XP SP2, the Run command

netsh winsock reset

will fix this problem without the need for these programs. (You can also try
this if you're on XP SP1. There has also been one, as yet unconfirmed,
report that this also works there.) Also, one MS technician suggested the
following sequence:

netsh int reset all
ipconfig /flushdns

See also: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/winsock.htm for additional XPSP2
info/approaches using the netsh command.

An alternative approach with necessary .reg files which will often work even
when the above doesn't is defined here, courtesy of Bob Cerelli:
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/ie_tips.htm#winsock_fix Recommended.

Remember - you need to do any downloads ahead of time BEFORE you do any
malware cleaning.
#########IMPORTANT#########

--
Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP/DTS/AH-VSOP
My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here:

Plato 11-03-2005 08:46 PM

Paul Bennett wrote:

> I recently re-installed Windows XP Home Edition to alleviate a problem I was
> having. prior to this Internet Explorer was working perfectly. since

What problem? Perhaps re installing windows, instead of trying to
address the problem, only made the problem worse.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/