Velocity Reviews

-   -   Learn the C++ (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t459939-learn-the-c.html)

leo.hal@gmail.com 01-19-2007 05:57 PM

Learn the C++

Hello,

Do you known a good site to learn the C++ ?
I've understood the bases of the programming, I've done some Java and
VB6.

Thank you

(I'm sorry for my bad English, but I'm French and I am learning English)

Marcus Kwok 01-19-2007 06:20 PM

Re: Learn the C++

leo.hal@gmail.com wrote:
> Do you known a good site to learn the C++ ?
> I've understood the bases of the programming, I've done some Java and
> VB6.

There is the "Correct C++ Tutorial" by Alf P. Steinbach:
http://home.no.net/dubjai/win32cpptut/html/

A good thing to read (and refer to often!) is the C++ FAQ Lite:
http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lit...learn-cpp.html
http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/

For book recommendations, see the "Book Reviews" section of
http://accu.org/ (the Association of C and C++ Users)
(the book reviews were temporarily unavailable when I checked though)

Since you said you already have some previous programming experience, a
highly-recommended book is "Accelerated C++" by Koenig and Moo:
http://www.acceleratedcpp.com/

--
Marcus Kwok
Replace 'invalid' with 'net' to reply

Bogdan Ribic 01-19-2007 07:39 PM

Re: Learn the C++

leo.hal@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Do you known a good site to learn the C++ ?

There is a free online book, "Thinking in C++" by Bruce Eckels, with
good introduction to C++ standard (ie, no MFC).

Super Robert 01-20-2007 02:18 AM

Re: Learn the C++

Hi.
http://www.cppreference.com/
is a good place to find the standard C++ functions and algorithms.

gw7rib@aol.com 01-20-2007 05:43 PM

Re: Learn the C++

leo.hal@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Do you known a good site to learn the C++ ?
> I've understood the bases of the programming, I've done some Java and
> VB6.
>
> Thank you
>
> (I'm sorry for my bad English, but I'm French and I am learning English)

If you are having difficulties with English, you may do better to find
a site that is in French.

leo.hal@gmail.com 01-20-2007 06:38 PM

Re: Learn the C++

On 20 jan, 18:43, gw7...@aol.com wrote:
> > (I'm sorry for my bad English, but I'm French and I am learning English)

>If you are having difficulties with English, you may do better to find
> a site that is in French.

I've tried to find a good french site but I don't have found. In
french, there is nothing to begin the C++.

John Carson 01-21-2007 01:42 AM

Re: Learn the C++

<leo.hal@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1169318313.609958.64120@51g2000cwl.googlegrou ps.com
> On 20 jan, 18:43, gw7...@aol.com wrote:
>>> (I'm sorry for my bad English, but I'm French and I am learning
>>> English)

>> If you are having difficulties with English, you may do better to
>> find a site that is in French.

> I've tried to find a good french site but I don't have found. In
> french, there is nothing to begin the C++.

I was going to point out that the french equivalent of this newsgroup is

fr.comp.lang.c++

but I see you are already posting there. Given the language difficulties, I
doubt that you will find this newsgroup better.

--
John Carson

Default User 01-21-2007 06:26 AM

Re: Learn the C++

leo.hal@gmail.com wrote:

> On 20 jan, 18:43, gw7...@aol.com wrote:
> > > (I'm sorry for my bad English, but I'm French and I am learning
> > > English)

> > If you are having difficulties with English, you may do better to
> > find a site that is in French.

> I've tried to find a good french site but I don't have found. In
> french, there is nothing to begin the C++.

Well, there is fr.comp.lang.c++. However, looking at it in google it
seems to be a relatively low-traffic group, on the order of 3-5 posts
per day. I'd say stick here. We're pretty accomodating of people who
struggle with English, and in fact yours really isn't that bad.

Brian

Default User 01-21-2007 07:58 AM

Re: Learn the C++

John Carson wrote:

> <leo.hal@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1169318313.609958.64120@51g2000cwl.googlegrou ps.com

> > I've tried to find a good french site but I don't have found. In
> > french, there is nothing to begin the C++.

> I was going to point out that the french equivalent of this newsgroup
> is
>
> fr.comp.lang.c++
>
> but I see you are already posting there. Given the language
> difficulties, I doubt that you will find this newsgroup better.

Considering the negligible traffic there, I doubt he would find it
better.

Brian

John Carson 01-21-2007 08:48 AM

Re: Learn the C++

"Default User" <defaultuserbr@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> John Carson wrote:
>
>> <leo.hal@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:1169318313.609958.64120@51g2000cwl.googlegrou ps.com

>>> I've tried to find a good french site but I don't have found. In
>>> french, there is nothing to begin the C++.

>> I was going to point out that the french equivalent of this newsgroup
>> is
>>
>> fr.comp.lang.c++
>>
>> but I see you are already posting there. Given the language
>> difficulties, I doubt that you will find this newsgroup better.

> Considering the negligible traffic there, I doubt he would find it
> better.

Not being a French speaker, I can't speak with confidence, but I think you
are using an overly demanding standard of an active newsgroup. comp.lang.c++
is exceptionally active. There are several newsgroups that I read (Windows
newsgroups), which have much less traffic, but where nevertheless most
questions get answered satisfactorily.

--
John Carson