Velocity Reviews

-   -   Domain trust problem (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t45888-domain-trust-problem.html)

Kenan 07-17-2003 06:42 AM

Domain trust problem

Hi, my problem about domain trusts. I have 2 domain one
small businnes server exchange installed on it and the
other nt 4.0 domain. When i try the make trust connections
between them i am giving a message says "smal bussines
server dosent support this command." is there any way to
make trust relations between them?

Marko 07-17-2003 07:44 AM

Domain trust problem

GDay

SmallBS was marketed as an economical way for small
businesses to get Windows Server products all in one box.
So you get Server, Exchange, Proxy, SQL, and a bunch of
other normally seperate products, all bundled in one box
for one low price. Lots of advantages, not just pricing.
The administration wizards were geared towards simplicity.

So there are a couple of catches:

First versions were limited to 25 client connections,
later 50. No matter how many CALs you try to add.

Most product could not be installed independantly of other
product, and certainly not on other machines. ie "borrow"
the Proxy and install on a seperate box.

Cannot interconnect with other domain controllers. So any
servers you try to add to a SBS domain must be standalone
servers, not member, PDC or BDC. Vice versa is also true:
you can't add SBS to an existing domain.

And so to the problem at hand: another catch is that you
cannot connect SBS domains to other domains.
Specifically, Micro$oft did not want you to buy SBS for
all regional offices and connect them back to central
servers with trust relationships.

The answer to your query is: Product is crippled by
design. There is no registry hack or other method to make
this work.

Sorry...

Marko

billyw 07-17-2003 11:03 AM

Re: Domain trust problem

actually i'm sure i read there was a way round the trust issue.

can't recall what it is...

search google

Marko 07-17-2003 12:12 PM

Re: Domain trust problem

GDay

I don't mind if I am shown to be wrong, but check these
for more clues:

(from the blurb on one of the sales partners disks I have):
Small Business Server - Considerations

The SBS 2000 component server applications are not limited
from the shipping Standard versions other than the fact
that their usage is subject to the parameters outlined
below:

All of the component server applications in the Small
Business Server 2000 suite must be installed on a single
server machine.
A maximum of 50 workstations can be connected to a Small
Business Server 2000 network. This also limits the number
of workstations that can access any of the component
server applications.
Small Business Server must be set up as the root Domain
Controller of an Active Directory forest, which prevents
Small Business Server from serving as a corporate branch
office or divisional server of a larger organisation with
an existing Active Directory or NT4-based domain
infrastructure. Moreover, trusts with other Active
Directory forests are not allowed, which means that a user
will not be able to set up an explicit trust with another
domain, and the Exchange Server in Small Business Server
is not permitted to connect to other Exchange Servers
outside of the Small Business Server 2000 domain.
Client Access Licenses are enforced through Client Add-on
disks that must be purchased separately. The License
Manager Control Panel applet is not included in Small
Business Server 2000.

http://members.microsoft.com/partner.../Servers/Small
BusinessServer/guidelines.aspx ; read the bit
about "Server"

How to: ;(note Win2K SBS is not an option)

us;306733

us;255551

us;295335

Marko 07-17-2003 12:17 PM

Re: Domain trust problem

google yields:

us;177040

billyw 07-17-2003 12:29 PM

Re: Domain trust problem

yes i know..

but i did read on the sbs group, i think, that while installing if you use a
w2k srv rather than the sbs w2k srv disk you can get round this.
i believe there was some other caveats to this, but dont remember what. I've
never tried it so can't vouch for the validity of it

Marko 07-17-2003 01:02 PM

Re: Domain trust problem

>yes i know..
>
>but i did read on the sbs group, i think, that while

installing if you use a
>w2k srv rather than the sbs w2k srv disk you can get

round this.
>i believe there was some other caveats to this, but dont

remember what. I've
>never tried it so can't vouch for the validity of it

OK. But if you use w2k srv disk it is no longer a SBS
installation.

Next problem is that none of the other product can be
split and installed on the win2k srv install. The
original media is not win2k on one disk, proxy on one
disk, Exchange on another, etc.

There is no *legal* way to split the product. Hence,
there is no way to make the product work opposite to the
way it was specifically designed (read: crippled).

Sorry Billy, but I think your recollection was not
specific to how this issue can be solved in any way, but
maybe to something else?

billyw 07-17-2003 01:45 PM

Re: Domain trust problem

no the issue can be resolved, but not in a way that would please MS