Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   C++ (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f39-c.html)
-   -   Graphics using C (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t458557-graphics-using-c.html)

manojgeorge@gmail.com 11-19-2006 07:19 AM

Graphics using C
 
Hi,

I am a student for physics graduation and looking forward to develop
and implement a simple graphics display in C( As this is the only
language which has been taught as part of my syllabus).

Can I use graphics in C to simulate a "fountain effect"? Is it
possibile to use graphics in C? (Not in C++). Sorry to put this in C++
discussion forum as I couldn't yet find a C discussion forum which is
active.

Waiting for your expert comments on this.

Many thanks in advance,
Manoj


Phlip 11-19-2006 08:41 AM

Re: Graphics using C
 
manojgeorge wrote:

> Can I use graphics in C to simulate a "fountain effect"? Is it
> possibile to use graphics in C? (Not in C++). Sorry to put this in C++
> discussion forum as I couldn't yet find a C discussion forum which is
> active.


Was everyone at news:comp.lang.c having, like, a staring contest or
something??

They will tell you graphics are off-topic. Post to a newsgroup that covers
whatever compiler you use, for the best answers. Use Google Groups to find
such a newsgroup - I think you are familiar with it! ;-)

> Waiting for your expert comments on this.


I specialize in graphics but I ain't gonna digress about them here and now!

--
Phlip
http://www.greencheese.us/ZeekLand <-- NOT a blog!!!



Moonlit 11-19-2006 11:49 AM

Re: Graphics using C
 
Hi,

Graphics are not contained in any of the standard libraries. But, yes you
can do graphics in C/C++. The easiest way I think is to use Visual C++ and
GDI. Lookup WM_PAINT message on msdn,

Another approach is to use some kind of library (google for it since there
are many)

Note that whatever you are going to use it will be a study on its own.


Regards, Ron AF Greve

http://moonlit.xs4all.nl

<manojgeorge@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1163920774.211022.48120@h54g2000cwb.googlegro ups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I am a student for physics graduation and looking forward to develop
> and implement a simple graphics display in C( As this is the only
> language which has been taught as part of my syllabus).
>
> Can I use graphics in C to simulate a "fountain effect"? Is it
> possibile to use graphics in C? (Not in C++). Sorry to put this in C++
> discussion forum as I couldn't yet find a C discussion forum which is
> active.
>
> Waiting for your expert comments on this.
>
> Many thanks in advance,
> Manoj
>




kwikius 11-21-2006 01:17 AM

Re: Graphics using C
 

manojgeorge@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a student for physics graduation and looking forward to develop
> and implement a simple graphics display in C( As this is the only
> language which has been taught as part of my syllabus).
>
> Can I use graphics in C to simulate a "fountain effect"? Is it
> possibile to use graphics in C? (Not in C++). Sorry to put this in C++
> discussion forum as I couldn't yet find a C discussion forum which is
> active.


C++ cant handle graphics. Its just a text langauage

regards
Andy Little


Joey Sabey 11-21-2006 01:21 AM

Re: Graphics using C
 

kwikius wrote:
> C++ cant handle graphics. Its just a text langauage


C++ is a general programming language. ;-)

Most games are programmed in C++, for example. And a great deal of
other programs.

Ever heard of the OpenGL library? ;-)

Personally I like the SDL library for simple graphics, and 2D stuff.

~Joey~


kwikius 11-21-2006 01:37 AM

Re: Graphics using C
 

Joey Sabey wrote:
> kwikius wrote:
> > C++ cant handle graphics. Its just a text langauage

>
> C++ is a general programming language. ;-)
>
> Most games are programmed in C++, for example. And a great deal of
> other programs.
>
> Ever heard of the OpenGL library? ;-)


I cant find it in my copy of the C++ standard.

Situation is that C++ cant deal with graphics. Best advice is to try
Java.

Andy Little


Joey Sabey 11-21-2006 01:44 AM

Re: Graphics using C
 

kwikius wrote:
> I cant find it in my copy of the C++ standard.
>
> Situation is that C++ cant deal with graphics. Best advice is to try
> Java.


The standard libraries don't deal with graphics, no, but drop in
something like driectX, openGL SDL or Allegro, and you have graphics
handling in C++. I don't like Java much, myself, and it certainly isn't
used for most graphical programs, or games.

~Joey~


kwikius 11-21-2006 01:47 AM

Re: Graphics using C
 

Joey Sabey wrote:
> kwikius wrote:
> > I cant find it in my copy of the C++ standard.
> >
> > Situation is that C++ cant deal with graphics. Best advice is to try
> > Java.

>
> The standard libraries don't deal with graphics, no, but drop in
> something like driectX, openGL SDL or Allegro, and you have graphics
> handling in C++.


All O.T here I'm afraid bud. C++ doesnt do graphics

regards
Andy Little


Joey Sabey 11-21-2006 01:52 AM

Re: Graphics using C
 
kwikius wrote:
> All O.T here I'm afraid bud. C++ doesnt do graphics


Heh, I'm just pointing out that you don't have to go in search of a new
language to do graphics, that there are extensions to C++ for it.
It can't hurt to point people in the direction of a solution to their
problem. =P

~Joey~


Alf P. Steinbach 11-21-2006 01:52 AM

Re: Graphics using C
 
* manojgeorge@gmail.com:
>
> I am a student for physics graduation and looking forward to develop
> and implement a simple graphics display in C( As this is the only
> language which has been taught as part of my syllabus).


You're posting to a C++ group; C is mostly off-topic here.


> Can I use graphics in C to simulate a "fountain effect"? Is it
> possibile to use graphics in C? (Not in C++). Sorry to put this in C++
> discussion forum as I couldn't yet find a C discussion forum which is
> active.


[comp.lang.c]


--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is it such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.