Velocity Reviews

-   -   Choosing a matrix library for image processing. Blitz++,MTL or others? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t452749-choosing-a-matrix-library-for-image-processing-blitz-mtl-or-others.html)

Guch 03-22-2006 09:00 AM

Choosing a matrix library for image processing. Blitz++,MTL or others?

I'll swictch from Matlab to C++. So I want to find a matrix library of
C++, Whitch can process images conveniently as Matlab does.

I've googled, and found that Blitz++ and MTL are popular and powerful.
I want to know whitch of them fit for image processing better.
Or have other choices?

Any suggestion whill be appreciated.

benben 03-22-2006 09:09 AM

Re: Choosing a matrix library for image processing. Blitz++,MTL orothers?

Guch wrote:
> I'll swictch from Matlab to C++. So I want to find a matrix library of
> C++, Whitch can process images conveniently as Matlab does.
>
> I've googled, and found that Blitz++ and MTL are popular and powerful.
> I want to know whitch of them fit for image processing better.
> Or have other choices?
>

> Any suggestion whill be appreciated.

Both.

Guch 03-22-2006 11:13 AM

Re: Choosing a matrix library for image processing. Blitz++,MTL or others?

Both?
But their function are mostly the same.

syntheticpp@yahoo.com 03-22-2006 12:08 PM

Re: Choosing a matrix library for image processing. Blitz++,MTL or others?

Maybe you should also have a look at the Adobe code:

http://opensource.adobe.com/group__asl__gil.html

Peter

Guch 03-22-2006 12:21 PM

Re: Choosing a matrix library for image processing. Blitz++,MTL or others?

What's adobe gil's advantage over Blitz++?
Is it efficient enough?

=?iso-8859-1?q?Peter_K=FCmmel?= 03-22-2006 12:36 PM

Re: Choosing a matrix library for image processing. Blitz++,MTL or others?

gil is specialized for images so there are functions which blitz does
not have (all the color stuff). I don't know the internals of gil (does
it use expression templates?). But if you ask there on the mailing list
or the forum I'm sure they'll aswer all you questions.

When you only need standard image manipulations I assume gil is the
better choice, but if you wanna implement complicated image
manipulation algorithms, then maybe blitz is better because it was
designed to make the implementation of complex calculations more
convenient than unsing pure C.

Catalin Pitis 03-22-2006 02:44 PM

Re: Choosing a matrix library for image processing. Blitz++,MTL or others?

I remember that Intel also has some matrix library, optimized for Intel
processors (SIMD). I don't know what are the constrains from platform
portability point of view...

Catalin