Velocity Reviews

-   -   Access Point Channel Selection (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t4510-access-point-channel-selection.html)

=?Utf-8?B?THVtaW5hcnk=?= 09-23-2004 11:43 PM

Access Point Channel Selection

This may be a dumb question, but I want to extend the range of an existing
wireless network by connecting a wireless access point (via cat5 cable) to
the router. Should I configure the WAP to use the same channel that's
already being used by the wireless router or should I use a different channel?

Jeff Durham 09-24-2004 01:13 AM

Re: Access Point Channel Selection

Linksys recommends using the same channel when setting up another access
point. Everyone else says to use a different channel. I think you should
use a different channel. Roaming should work as well in this situation
where you walk with your laptop and it will switch to the stronger signal
without losing a connection. When deciding on channel numbers, use
non-overlapping channels. Good choices would be 1 and 6, 2 and 7, 3 and 8,
and so on. Channels 1 and 11 would work fine too. You want to minimize the
interference for access points that are within proximity of each other.

As another example, let's say you had a three access points where the first
and third access point are too far apart for their signal to reach each
other. In that situation, you could use channels 1, 6, and 11 or you
something like 1, 6, and 1. Even though the first and third are the same,
they are too far apart for it too matter.

Be sure all other settings are identical such as SSID and WEP/WPA/none. The
only difference should be IP address and channel number.

Jeff

GuitarMan 09-24-2004 12:02 PM

"Jeff Durham" <jdurham.outdoor.life@cinci.rr.com> wrote in message
> Linksys recommends using the same channel when setting up another access
> point. Everyone else says to use a different channel. I think you should
> use a different channel. Roaming should work as well in this situation
> where you walk with your laptop and it will switch to the stronger signal
> without losing a connection. When deciding on channel numbers, use
> non-overlapping channels. Good choices would be 1 and 6, 2 and 7, 3 and
> 8, and so on. Channels 1 and 11 would work fine too. You want to
> minimize the interference for access points that are within proximity of
> each other.
>
> As another example, let's say you had a three access points where the
> first and third access point are too far apart for their signal to reach
> each other. In that situation, you could use channels 1, 6, and 11 or you
> something like 1, 6, and 1. Even though the first and third are the same,
> they are too far apart for it too matter.
>
> Be sure all other settings are identical such as SSID and WEP/WPA/none.
> The only difference should be IP address and channel number.
>
> Jeff

Where did you get this information?

Jeff Durham 09-24-2004 12:38 PM

Re: Access Point Channel Selection

I used google and looked at a variety of sources. Linksys' documentation
describes roaming and says to use the same channel. Everyone else said to
use a different channel. I was successful trying it both ways. Now that I
understand how it works, it makes more sense to use separate channels. Barb
Bowman also had a good article on this.

Try searching this in google:

wireless roaming access point

Jeff

news:s1U4d.1307$%06.141@newsread3.news.atl.earthli nk.net...

GuitarMan 09-24-2004 07:18 PM

>I used google and looked at a variety of sources. Linksys' documentation
>describes roaming and says to use the same channel. Everyone else said to
>use a different channel. I was successful trying it both ways. Now that I
>understand how it works, it makes more sense to use separate channels.
>Barb Bowman also had a good article on this.
>
> Try searching this in google:
>
> wireless roaming access point
>
> Jeff

Thanks Jeff...
I was playing around with this myself and was wondering if I shoud have the
WAP/Router and 2nd WAP set to the same channel and SSID or not.

Jeff Durham 09-24-2004 09:31 PM

Re: Access Point Channel Selection

Definitely use the same SSID and encryption settings to allow roaming. The

news:Wp_4d.1638$%06.1438@newsread3.news.atl.earthl ink.net...

Jack 09-25-2004 04:18 PM

Re: Access Point Channel Selection

Hi.

All the settings but channel should be the same.

Whether to use the same channel or not depends on the distances between the
hardware units and on the sensitivity and scanning practice of the Wireless
clients.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

Since changing a channel takes few seconds try what best for you.