Velocity Reviews

-   -   What do i use to write programs in Windows? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t449575-what-do-i-use-to-write-programs-in-windows.html)

Weasel 11-05-2005 12:41 AM

What do i use to write programs in Windows?

What do i use to compile , and basically program in windows? Since at
home i use linux, but at school they dont have linux... what can i use?

Mike Wahler 11-05-2005 12:58 AM

Re: What do i use to write programs in Windows?

"Weasel" <Weaselwoot@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1131151269.650268.185220@g44g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
> What do i use to compile , and basically program in windows?
>Since at
> home i use linux, but at school they dont have linux... what can i use?

See sections 5, 6, 7
(Better yet, read the whole document)

-Mike

nivlemt1@yahoo.com 11-05-2005 07:48 AM

Re: What do i use to write programs in Windows?

www.cygwin.com

Matthias Kaeppler 11-05-2005 08:08 AM

Weasel wrote:
> What do i use to compile , and basically program in windows? Since at
> home i use linux, but at school they dont have linux... what can i use?

Text editor, compiler suite (e.g. www.mingw.org), build system (I think
'make' comes with mingw32).

savagesmc 11-05-2005 06:31 PM

Re: What do i use to write programs in Windows?

If you are used to linux, then cygwin is your best option. It provides
a very functional set of the same development tools that you get with
linux - gcc/g++, sed, awk, perl, python, make, autoconf, automake,
etc..... The website for cygwin was already given in this thread.

However, if you want to write "windows" programs, microsoft has their
compiler available for free download:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/

Good luck, and have fun.

Steve

Alf P. Steinbach 11-05-2005 06:37 PM

Re: What do i use to write programs in Windows?

* Weasel:
> What do i use to compile , and basically program in windows? Since at
> home i use linux, but at school they dont have linux... what can i use?

Many others have suggested CygWin, but although it's a great command
interpreter environment you have to bend backwards to produce Windows
programs.

All that work has been done for you, by the MingW folks, so if you're
considering CygWin, use MingW instead (and CygWin as an extra Unix-like
command interpreter if you like).

For links to the above plus other compilers and documentation etc., see
<url:
http://home.no.net/dubjai/win32cpptut/html/w32cpptut_01_01_02.html>.

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is it such a bad thing?

savagesmc 11-05-2005 11:50 PM

Re: What do i use to write programs in Windows?

I think that Alf guy is misleading the original poster by telling him
that you can't write c++ programs in cygwin, and that MingW what he
must use. Cygwin is much more than just a unix-like command
interpreter, it comes with a compiler, linker, and all the other stuff
you need to compile and run ansi compilant (or close to it) c++
programs. It has a fairly posix compilant pthreads library for
mutlithreaded applications, and it has a sockets library so you can
write networking applications if you want. If you install the X11
option, you can even compile and run X11 based graphics applications in
cygwin.

What I think Alf was trying to say is that out of the box, programs
compiled in cygwin require the cygwin dynamic link library in order to
execute. This is no problem if you are just running on the same pc
that you compiled on - you already have the dll installed just to be
able to use the cygwin tools. If you want to deliver that software to
someone, they'll need the same version of cygwin.dll that was used when
compiling the program. Not really applicable to this thread, because
the poster indicated he just wants to be able to work on homework at
home.

While MingW may also work for a lot of things - probably homework
included, my experience is that you get a much more complete
development environment when you use cygwin.

But do whatever you want, either tool MingW or Cygwin will probably
work for what you are doing. Just don't believe the post that says you
can't compile and run your programs in cygwin.

Mike Wahler 11-06-2005 01:15 AM

"savagesmc" <stevie.clark@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1131234615.064636.297290@z14g2000cwz.googlegr oups.com...
>I think that Alf guy is misleading the original poster by telling him
> that you can't write c++ programs in cygwin,

Where in his message did he say that?

> and that MingW what he
> must use.

Where in his message did he say that?

> Cygwin is much more than just a unix-like command
> interpreter,

Alf never claimed otherwise.

> it comes with a compiler, linker, and all the other stuff
> you need to compile and run ansi compilant (or close to it) c++
> programs.

Alf never claimed otherwise.

> It has a fairly posix compilant pthreads library for
> mutlithreaded applications, and it has a sockets library so you can
> write networking applications if you want. If you install the X11
> option, you can even compile and run X11 based graphics applications in
> cygwin.

None of those features are applicable to standard C++, the
topic of this newsgrop.

> What I think Alf was trying to say is that out of the box, programs
> compiled in cygwin require the cygwin dynamic link library in order to
> execute.

No he didn't, and no they don't.

>This is no problem if you are just running on the same pc
> that you compiled on - you already have the dll installed just to be
> able to use the cygwin tools. If you want to deliver that software to
> someone, they'll need the same version of cygwin.dll that was used when
> compiling the program. Not really applicable to this thread, because
> the poster indicated he just wants to be able to work on homework at
> home.

And Cygwin, among many other possiblities, can provide
that.

> While MingW may also work for a lot of things - probably homework
> included, my experience is that you get a much more complete
> development environment when you use cygwin.

Not necessarily. It depends upon what you're developing.

> But do whatever you want, either tool MingW or Cygwin will probably
> work for what you are doing. Just don't believe the post that says you
> can't compile and run your programs in cygwin.

Alf did not post such a claim.

-Mike

ben 11-06-2005 01:58 AM

Weasel wrote:
> What do i use to compile , and basically program in windows? Since at
> home i use linux, but at school they dont have linux... what can i use?

If you are a restricted user on your school computer systems then you
are unlikely to be able to install anything. Talk to your admin or just
have a look at what they have already. I remember once I had to use
notepad to edit source and send it over telnet to my home to compile,
then retrieve the program via ftp, very unpleasant experience.

Ben

Weasel 11-07-2005 03:45 PM

Re: What do i use to write programs in Windows?

Hey, my high school computers are restricted, some websites are
blocked, you cant download at all and you cant install at all... do you
think it would work if ia sked to admin to install or download a
compiler on just my computer?