Velocity Reviews

-   -   C++ Primer, 4th Edition (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t447749-c-primer-4th-edition.html)

hajime 08-16-2005 06:29 AM

C++ Primer, 4th Edition

I purchased this book: C++ Primer, 4th Edition ISBN: 0201721481 in
Australia.

The right side of the last three lines on page 231 are not legible. A
stain shows a piece of paper was on that part when printed. I checked
two more local book stores around here, and found all books have the
same defect.

I would like to see what should be printed on the page 231. Does
anybody have a complete copy tell me the last three lines ?

The last three lines on page 231 in my book are:

This behavior folows from the normal initialization rules for const
objects???????????
tion 2.4, p.56). Because the initialization copies the value of the
initialize?????????????
initialize a nonconst object from a const object, or vice versa.

Thanks in advance,

John Ratliff 08-16-2005 07:48 AM

Re: C++ Primer, 4th Edition

hajime wrote:
> I purchased this book: C++ Primer, 4th Edition ISBN: 0201721481 in
> Australia.
>
> The right side of the last three lines on page 231 are not legible. A
> stain shows a piece of paper was on that part when printed. I checked
> two more local book stores around here, and found all books have the
> same defect.
>
> I would like to see what should be printed on the page 231. Does
> anybody have a complete copy tell me the last three lines ?
>
> The last three lines on page 231 in my book are:
>
> This behavior folows from the normal initialization rules for const
> objects???????????
> tion 2.4, p.56). Because the initialization copies the value of the
> initialize?????????????
> initialize a nonconst object from a const object, or vice versa.
>
> Thanks in advance,

You should write the publisher. They would be the ones with a complete
copy, and they will probably send you a replacement book.

--John Ratliff

cragwolf 08-16-2005 08:51 AM

Re: C++ Primer, 4th Edition

hajime wrote:

> I would like to see what should be printed on the page 231. Does
> anybody have a complete copy tell me the last three lines ?

Hey, I have that problem, too! Looks like a bit of sticky tape got in
the way during printing. The section is on nonreference parameters; in
particular, const parameters. Great book, though.

cragwolf

ikinal 08-16-2005 02:31 PM

Re: C++ Primer, 4th Edition

This behavior folows from the normal initialization rules for const
objects (Sec
tion 2.4, p.56). Because the initialization copies the value of the
initializer, we can
initialize a nonconst object from a const object, or vice versa.

hope that helps.
Ihor

hajime 08-16-2005 03:48 PM

Re: C++ Primer, 4th Edition

Wow! This is great! Thanks, Mates!

hajime

hajime 08-16-2005 03:56 PM

Re: C++ Primer, 4th Edition

Sure, I did. Hoping to get another copy. I don't want to return the
current copy because I already made many notes and mark-ups. If they
send me another one, I'll give it to my friend.

Hajime