Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: "Cunnus" should be accepted, proper term for female genitalia (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t446058-re-cunnus-should-be-accepted-proper-term-for-female-genitalia.html)

Andy 01-27-2007 11:22 AM

Re: "Cunnus" should be accepted, proper term for female genitalia

x-no-archive: yes
Moira de Swardt wrote:
> "Bret Ludwig" <bretldwig@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>

>> If uterus, anus, umbilicus, phallus or penis, etc, etc are the
>> proper terms for those parts of the body, shouldn't "cunnus" be the
>> proper term fror the vagina, labia and vulva?

> Not a Latin scholar, I see. Latin has gender specific nouns. -us
> (m) -a (f) -um (n).

Interesting stuff. So 'cunna' would be the proper term? 'Cunnae' for
plural?

I always thought '****' was the acceptable term these days.

Cheers,
Andy.

Martin Ambuhl 01-28-2007 06:46 AM

Andy wrote:
> x-no-archive: yes
> Moira de Swardt wrote:
>> "Bret Ludwig" <bretldwig@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>

>>> If uterus, anus, umbilicus, phallus or penis, etc, etc are the proper
>>> terms for those parts of the body, shouldn't "cunnus" be the
>>> proper term fror the vagina, labia and vulva?

>> Not a Latin scholar, I see. Latin has gender specific nouns. -us
>> (m) -a (f) -um (n).

> Interesting stuff. So 'cunna' would be the proper term? 'Cunnae' for
> plural?

Moira de Swardt is in error, and is no Latin scholar. You were right:
cunnus, -i (m) is, in the words of Charlton T. Lewis, "the female
pudenda." Such use can be found in the writings of M. Tullius Cicero, C.
Velerius Catullus, and M. Valerius Martialis.

Q. Hortius Flaccus uses this grammatically masculine term as a
synecdoche for both a female person and for an unchaste woman.

Latin has grammatical gender; Moira de Swardt, who should be ignored,
confuses this with sex.

Peter Moylan 01-28-2007 06:52 AM

Andy wrote:
> x-no-archive: yes Moira de Swardt wrote:
>> "Bret Ludwig" <bretldwig@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>

>>> If uterus, anus, umbilicus, phallus or penis, etc, etc are the
>>> proper terms for those parts of the body, shouldn't "cunnus" be
>>> the proper term fror the vagina, labia and vulva?

>> Not a Latin scholar, I see. Latin has gender specific nouns. -us
>> (m) -a (f) -um (n).

Not a Latin scholar, I see. The word in question is masculine.

> I always thought '****' was the acceptable term these days.

Only in English. With all this cross-posting, who can guess what's
acceptable in the other groups?

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org

Please note the changed e-mail and web addresses. The domain
eepjm.newcastle.edu.au no longer exists, and I can no longer
receive mail at my newcastle.edu.au addresses. The optusnet
address could disappear at any time.

Moira de Swardt 01-28-2007 06:58 AM

"Andy" <nospam@no.no> wrote in message
> Moira de Swardt wrote:
> > "Bret Ludwig" <bretldwig@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> >> If uterus, anus, umbilicus, phallus or penis, etc, etc are the
> >> proper terms for those parts of the body, shouldn't "cunnus" be

the
> >> proper term fror the vagina, labia and vulva?

> > Not a Latin scholar, I see. Latin has gender specific

ouns. -us
> > (m) -a (f) -um (n).

> Interesting stuff. So 'cunna' would be the proper term? 'Cunnae'

for
> plural?

Someone else has pointed out that "****" has non Latin origins.

As to "proper" term, the "proper" term is the one used medically and
anatomically, namely "vagina" with the other terms used above
describing parts of the vagina.

> I always thought '****' was the acceptable term these days.

Of the terms used by people in the ordinary course of events when
referring to female genitalia, "****" is probably one of the more
emotive ones. There are women, and doubtless men as well, who find
its use offensive to a greater or lesser degree, so I would argue
about it being the "acceptable term" these days.

--
Moira de Swardt posting from Johannesburg, South Africa
Remove the dot in my address to find me at home.

Grinner 01-28-2007 07:08 AM

> x-no-archive: yes
> Moira de Swardt wrote:
>> "Bret Ludwig" <bretldwig@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>

>>> If uterus, anus, umbilicus, phallus or penis, etc, etc are the proper
>>> terms for those parts of the body, shouldn't "cunnus" be the
>>> proper term fror the vagina, labia and vulva?

>> Not a Latin scholar, I see. Latin has gender specific nouns. -us
>> (m) -a (f) -um (n).

> Interesting stuff. So 'cunna' would be the proper term? 'Cunnae' for
> plural?
>
> I always thought '****' was the acceptable term these days.

It's the term I've been most familiar with these last 40 odd years, and I
don't think it's about to change as I'm not familar with too many dead
languages.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Peter_Bj=F8rn_Perls=F8?= 01-28-2007 07:36 AM

Andy <nospam@no.no> wrote:

> x-no-archive: yes
> Moira de Swardt wrote:
> > "Bret Ludwig" <bretldwig@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >

> >> If uterus, anus, umbilicus, phallus or penis, etc, etc are the
> >> proper terms for those parts of the body, shouldn't "cunnus" be the
> >> proper term fror the vagina, labia and vulva?

> > Not a Latin scholar, I see. Latin has gender specific nouns. -us
> > (m) -a (f) -um (n).

> Interesting stuff. So 'cunna' would be the proper term? 'Cunnae' for
> plural?
>
> I always thought '****' was the acceptable term these days.

Yes, for such things ad Hillary Clinton, I suppose.

--
regards , Peter B. P. - http://titancity.com/blog , http://macplanet.dk

"If guns kill, do pencils cause spelling errors?"

Robert Bannister 01-31-2007 12:17 AM

Moira de Swardt wrote:

> "Andy" <nospam@no.no> wrote in message
>
>>Moira de Swardt wrote:

> the

>>>Not a Latin scholar, I see. Latin has gender specific

> ouns. -us
>
>>>(m) -a (f) -um (n).

>>Interesting stuff. So 'cunna' would be the proper term? 'Cunnae'

> for
>
>>plural?

> Someone else has pointed out that "****" has non Latin origins.

I must have missed this. Most dictionaries still say "origin unknown".

> As to "proper" term, the "proper" term is the one used medically and
> anatomically, namely "vagina" with the other terms used above
> describing parts of the vagina.

Total nonsense spread around by schoolteachers who are ignorant. The
term is "vulva". The vagina does not have a great many "parts".

--
Rob Bannister