Velocity Reviews

-   -   MCSD questions (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t44567-mcsd-questions.html)

Rick 08-27-2004 04:04 PM

MCSD questions

Hi,

To prepare for 70-229 I plan on using MSDE since I don't have access to SQL
Server 2000 Enterprise edition. Would this be sufficient? I plan on studying
at home using Viera's book with MSDE. Should I go out and look for SQL
Server 2000? Thanks for your opinions.

Rick

The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere 08-27-2004 04:14 PM

Re: MCSD questions

>To prepare for 70-229 I plan on using MSDE since I don't have access to SQL
>Server 2000 Enterprise edition. Would this be sufficient?

unfortunately yes.

> I plan on studying
>at home using Viera's book with MSDE.

excellent book

>Should I go out and look for SQL
>Server 2000?

get a 120 day trial version.

Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

08-27-2004 05:04 PM

Re: MCSD questions

I'm thinking that the Developer Edition of SQL Server can be purchased for
around $100. It comes with the same front tools such as Enterprise Manager
and Query Analyzer.

Eric 08-27-2004 07:50 PM

Re: MCSD questions

<WKidd> wrote:

> I'm thinking that the Developer Edition of SQL Server can be
> purchased for around $100. It comes with the same front tools such as
> Enterprise Manager and Query Analyzer.

I've seen if for around $50.

But I might D/L the eval version, and use MSDE after the eval period
runs out. You can still use Enterprise Manager and Query Analyzer with
MSDE - these tools don't expire.

Eric

The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere 08-27-2004 08:15 PM

Re: MCSD questions

>You can still use Enterprise Manager and Query Analyzer with
>MSDE

..... But not necessary legally....

Amongst other restrictions, the MSDE does not come with enterprise
manager or query analyzer, and the MSDE license agreement, by itself,
does not allow the use of said tools.

Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

Eric 08-30-2004 03:05 PM

Re: MCSD questions

> .... But not necessary legally....

You mean I'm supposed to read that blurb that comes up when I try to
install something?

The new SQL Express 2005 (replacement for MSDE) will come with some
kind of graphical tools, so this isn't a big deal.

Eric

The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere 08-30-2004 04:38 PM

Re: MCSD questions

>You mean I'm supposed to read that blurb that comes up when I try to
>install something?

dear oh dear.....

>The new SQL Express 2005 (replacement for MSDE) will come with some
>kind of graphical tools, so this isn't a big deal.

that has nothing to do with the question.

Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

Eric 08-31-2004 03:09 PM

Re: MCSD questions

> > You mean I'm supposed to read that blurb that comes up when I try to
> > install something?

> dear oh dear.....
>
> > The new SQL Express 2005 (replacement for MSDE) will come with some
> > kind of graphical tools, so this isn't a big deal.

> that has nothing to do with the question.
>
> Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

that never stopped me before :-)

Eric

The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere 08-31-2004 04:06 PM

Re: MCSD questions

>that never stopped me before :-)

GOOG LUCK IN PRISON!!!!

Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

08-31-2004 09:06 PM

Re: MCSD questions

I hear the inmates are hard on software pirates. Especially the young skinny
ones.