Velocity Reviews

-   -   sequence points (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t444717-sequence-points.html)

ramasubramanian.rahul@gmail.com 10-12-2006 06:02 AM

sequence points

what are sequence points in c
any pointers to some resource which explains them in detail will be of
much help...
Thanks in advance
kind regards
Rahul

Richard Heathfield 10-12-2006 06:13 AM

Re: sequence points

ramasubramanian.rahul@gmail.com said:

> what are sequence points in c

They are points within your program at which it is guaranteed that
everything that should have happened (and in particular all the side
effects) up till this point /has/ happened (or won't ever happen!). You get
them at the end of expression statements, and at various other places as
well.

> any pointers to some resource which explains them in detail will be of
> much help...

See "C: A Reference Manual", by Harbison & Steele. My 4th edition carries a
reasonable explanation on p83, and again on pages 228-229.

--
Richard Heathfield
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999

Tejas Kokje 10-12-2006 06:13 AM

Re: sequence points

ramasubramanian.rahul@gmail.com wrote:

> what are sequence points in c
> any pointers to some resource which explains them in detail will be of
> much help...
> Thanks in advance
> kind regards
> Rahul

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sequence_point

Google is your friend.

Tejas Kokje

Cong Wang 10-12-2006 11:29 AM

Re: sequence points

On Oct 12, 2:13 pm, Richard Heathfield <inva...@invalid.invalid>
wrote:
> > any pointers to some resource which explains them in detail will be of
> > much help...See "C: A Reference Manual", by Harbison & Steele. My 4th edition carries a

> reasonable explanation on p83, and again on pages 228-229.

Your book "C Unleashed"? I like it very much. Thanks! ;-)

Richard Heathfield 10-12-2006 11:50 AM

Re: sequence points

Cong Wang said:

> On Oct 12, 2:13 pm, Richard Heathfield <inva...@invalid.invalid>
> wrote:
>> > any pointers to some resource which explains them in detail will be of
>> > much help...See "C: A Reference Manual", by Harbison & Steele. My 4th
>> > edition carries a

>> reasonable explanation on p83, and again on pages 228-229.

> Your book "C Unleashed"? I like it very much. Thanks! ;-)

You're welcome. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Christopher Benson-Manica 10-12-2006 12:46 PM

Re: sequence points

Richard Heathfield <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:

("them" equals "sequence points")

> > any pointers to some resource which explains them in detail will be of
> > much help...

> See "C: A Reference Manual", by Harbison & Steele. My 4th edition carries a
> reasonable explanation on p83, and again on pages 228-229.

Or, alternatively, OP can get the "from the horse's mouth" explanation
from 5.1.2.3, subparagraph 2, in the draft n869 standard. (OP can,
presumably, use Google to locate this document.)

Richard Heathfield 10-12-2006 08:55 PM

Re: sequence points

Christopher Benson-Manica said:

> Richard Heathfield <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> See "C: A Reference Manual", by Harbison & Steele. My 4th edition carries
>> a reasonable explanation on p83, and again on pages 228-229.

> Or, alternatively, OP can get the "from the horse's mouth" explanation
> from 5.1.2.3, subparagraph 2, in the draft n869 standard. (OP can,
> presumably, use Google to locate this document.)

Yes, but ISO Standards tend to make lousy tutorials. :-)

Richard Tobin 10-12-2006 10:49 PM

Re: sequence points

In article <_oudnTvOQIQPNrPYnZ2dneKdnZydnZ2d@bt.com>,
Richard Heathfield <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>Yes, but ISO Standards tend to make lousy tutorials. :-)

I've always found ISO 8859-1 quite understandable.

-- Richard

Flash Gordon 10-12-2006 10:52 PM

Re: sequence points

Christopher Benson-Manica wrote:
> Richard Heathfield <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
> ("them" equals "sequence points")
>
>>> any pointers to some resource which explains them in detail will be of
>>> much help...

>> See "C: A Reference Manual", by Harbison & Steele. My 4th edition carries a
>> reasonable explanation on p83, and again on pages 228-229.

> Or, alternatively, OP can get the "from the horse's mouth" explanation
> from 5.1.2.3, subparagraph 2, in the draft n869 standard. (OP can,
> presumably, use Google to locate this document.)

There is now a link to a copy of it on the CLC wiki. I used the way back
machine to find Dan Pop's copy and uploaded it to my site. If Dan
objects (which I think is unlikely) I can remove it. Links to that and
other versions of the standard are here http://clc-wiki.net/wiki/c_standard

P.S. Anyone know how Dan is doing?
--
Flash Gordon
Hosting the CLC Wiki on an actively maintained server as a repayment for

CBFalconer 10-13-2006 12:12 AM

Re: sequence points

Richard Heathfield wrote:
> Christopher Benson-Manica said:
>> Richard Heathfield <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> See "C: A Reference Manual", by Harbison & Steele. My 4th edition
>>> carries a reasonable explanation on p83, and again on pages 228-229.

>> Or, alternatively, OP can get the "from the horse's mouth" explanation
>> from 5.1.2.3, subparagraph 2, in the draft n869 standard. (OP can,
>> presumably, use Google to locate this document.)

> Yes, but ISO Standards tend to make lousy tutorials. :-)

Where is Dan Pop when you need him? :-)

--
Some informative links: