Velocity Reviews

-   -   C library to send email (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t444389-c-library-to-send-email.html)

parser 09-16-2006 12:31 PM

C library to send email

is there any C library ( popular or standardized ) for sending emails?

Spiros Bousbouras 09-16-2006 01:28 PM

Re: C library to send email

parser wrote:

> is there any C library ( popular or standardized ) for sending emails?

What exactly do you have in mind ? If you already
have in some file the text you want to email then you
only have to use something like system("mail") or whatever
command your platform uses to send emails. But if you
want some library where you specify a file which will be the
body of the email plus additional files which will serve as
attachments and the library will combine those in a file which
satisfies the MIME protocoll then I don't know. Actually I'm
planning to write such a library myself eventually.

CBFalconer 09-16-2006 01:32 PM

Re: C library to send email

parser wrote:

> is there any C library ( popular or standardized ) for sending emails?

Standard. Look up putc().

--
"The most amazing achievement of the computer software industry
is its continuing cancellation of the steady and staggering

Richard Heathfield 09-16-2006 05:23 PM

Re: C library to send email

parser said:

> is there any C library ( popular or standardized ) for sending emails?

Why not just fish out the appropriate RFC and knock up your own?

--
Richard Heathfield
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999

Spiros Bousbouras 09-16-2006 05:24 PM

Re: C library to send email

Richard Heathfield wrote:

> parser said:
>
> > is there any C library ( popular or standardized ) for sending emails?

> Why not just fish out the appropriate RFC and knock up your own?

Because life is short ?

Richard Heathfield 09-16-2006 05:42 PM

Re: C library to send email

Spiros Bousbouras said:

> Richard Heathfield wrote:
>
>> parser said:
>>
>> > is there any C library ( popular or standardized ) for sending emails?

>> Why not just fish out the appropriate RFC and knock up your own?

> Because life is short ?

SMTP? Two monkeys, ten minutes.

Spiros Bousbouras 09-16-2006 06:00 PM

Re: C library to send email

Richard Heathfield wrote:

> Spiros Bousbouras said:
>
> > Richard Heathfield wrote:

> >> Why not just fish out the appropriate RFC and knock up your own?

> > Because life is short ?

> SMTP? Two monkeys, ten minutes.

RFC821 is 67 pages. 10 minutes for 67 pages ?
I don't think so unless you're a rapid reading
wizard.

Richard Heathfield 09-16-2006 07:31 PM

Re: C library to send email

Spiros Bousbouras said:

> Richard Heathfield wrote:
>
>> Spiros Bousbouras said:

>> > Because life is short ?

>> SMTP? Two monkeys, ten minutes.

> RFC821 is 67 pages. 10 minutes for 67 pages ?
> I don't think so unless you're a rapid reading
> wizard.

You can skip the boring bits. :-)

Seriously, SMTP is pretty easy. The hard bit of writing an email client is
/not/ the sending and receiving of email. It's all the stuff around the
edge - GUI, the various encodings, and so on. Sending the stuff is pretty
trivial. The protocol is a simple one.

Roland Pibinger 09-17-2006 09:21 PM

Re: C library to send email

Maybe http://www.stafford.uklinux.net/libesmtp/

parser 09-18-2006 12:56 PM

Re: C library to send email

Spiros Bousbouras wrote:
> parser wrote:
>
> > is there any C library ( popular or standardized ) for sending emails?

> What exactly do you have in mind ? If you already

i know of libesmtp but i want a portable one that has bindings on
almost all the platforms(UNIX/WINDOWS). if there isnt a one i would
have to write my own.