Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   C Programming (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f42-c-programming.html)
-   -   Why isn't C proprietary ? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t444387-why-isnt-c-proprietary.html)

Spiros Bousbouras 09-16-2006 09:57 AM

Why isn't C proprietary ?
 
Why isn't C proprietary ?

Given the way it was started wasn't it by default the
intellectual property of AT&T ? So how come it's
not proprietary now ?


T.M. Sommers 09-16-2006 11:23 AM

Re: Why isn't C proprietary ?
 
Spiros Bousbouras wrote:
> Why isn't C proprietary ?
>
> Given the way it was started wasn't it by default the
> intellectual property of AT&T ? So how come it's
> not proprietary now ?


The original implementations were the intellectual property of
AT&T, but not the language itself. Anyone can implement any
language, as long as they do it on their own. There are, for
instance, implementations of Java that do not come from Sun.

--
Thomas M. Sommers -- tms@nj.net -- AB2SB


Mark McIntyre 09-16-2006 11:52 AM

Re: Why isn't C proprietary ?
 
On 16 Sep 2006 02:57:21 -0700, in comp.lang.c , "Spiros Bousbouras"
<spibou@gmail.com> wrote:

>Why isn't C proprietary ?
>
>Given the way it was started wasn't it by default the
>intellectual property of AT&T ? So how come it's
>not proprietary now ?


Because a decision was taken, presumably by AT&T, to offer the
langauge definition up to ISO for standardization.

--
Mark McIntyre

"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place.
Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are,
by definition, not smart enough to debug it."
--Brian Kernighan

Mark McIntyre 09-16-2006 12:01 PM

Re: Why isn't C proprietary ?
 
On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 12:52:24 +0100, in comp.lang.c , Mark McIntyre
<markmcintyre@spamcop.net> wrote:

>On 16 Sep 2006 02:57:21 -0700, in comp.lang.c , "Spiros Bousbouras"
><spibou@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Why isn't C proprietary ?
>>
>>Given the way it was started wasn't it by default the
>>intellectual property of AT&T ? So how come it's
>>not proprietary now ?

>
>Because a decision was taken, presumably by AT&T, to offer the
>langauge definition up to ISO for standardization.


.... and to follow up my own post. Dennis Ritchie's website has more
detail in the "development of C" section, which is an interesting read
in itself.
http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/dmr/chist.html
--
Mark McIntyre

"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place.
Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are,
by definition, not smart enough to debug it."
--Brian Kernighan

Richard Tobin 09-16-2006 11:35 PM

Re: Why isn't C proprietary ?
 
In article <450bdeb4$0$21519$470ef3ce@news.pa.net>,
T.M. Sommers <tms@nj.net> wrote:

>The original implementations were the intellectual property of
>AT&T, but not the language itself. Anyone can implement any
>language, as long as they do it on their own. There are, for
>instance, implementations of Java that do not come from Sun.


Generally companies that want to control a language do so by
trademarking the name, as Sun have done with Java. They can't stop
you writing a compatible compiler, but they can stop you calling it by
their name (at least for commercial implementations).

-- Richard


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.