Velocity Reviews

-   -   overloading, template, exception handling and c (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t442769-overloading-template-exception-handling-and-c.html)

v4vijayakumar 05-15-2006 10:43 AM

overloading, template, exception handling and c

Why there is no overloading (function and operator), function templates
and exception handling support in c? after all these are all useful
programming constructs.

What prevents ANSI/ISO committee to add these into c?

jacob navia 05-15-2006 10:45 AM

Re: overloading, template, exception handling and c

v4vijayakumar a écrit :
> Why there is no overloading (function and operator), function templates
> and exception handling support in c? after all these are all useful
> programming constructs.
>
> What prevents ANSI/ISO committee to add these into c?

Well, the lcc-win32 C compiler provides some of those.

See the document
ftp://ftp.cs.virginia.edu/pub/lcc-win32/proposal.pdf

for a detailed description

Ian Collins 05-15-2006 10:46 AM

v4vijayakumar wrote:
> Why there is no overloading (function and operator), function templates
> and exception handling support in c? after all these are all useful
> programming constructs.
>
> What prevents ANSI/ISO committee to add these into c?

Because they can be found elsewhere, C++ for example. C does what it
does, if you want do do something else, use another tool.

--
Ian Collins.

v4vijayakumar 05-15-2006 11:10 AM

Ian Collins wrote:
> Because they can be found elsewhere, C++ for example. C does what it
> does, if you want do do something else, use another tool.

the question is "why these are not C yet?". IMHO, If C++ or any other
programming languages have these then it can not be a solution to C.

Ian Collins 05-15-2006 11:12 AM

v4vijayakumar wrote:
> Ian Collins wrote:
>
>>Because they can be found elsewhere, C++ for example. C does what it
>>does, if you want do do something else, use another tool.

> the question is "why these are not C yet?". IMHO, If C++ or any other
> programming languages have these then it can not be a solution to C.

The answer is why should they be in C?

This has been asked many times before, have a look though the group
archives.

--
Ian Collins.

Bill Pursell 05-15-2006 04:25 PM

Ian Collins wrote:
> v4vijayakumar wrote:
> > Ian Collins wrote:
> >
> >>Because they can be found elsewhere, C++ for example. C does what it
> >>does, if you want do do something else, use another tool.

> > the question is "why these are not C yet?". IMHO, If C++ or any other
> > programming languages have these then it can not be a solution to C.
> >

> The answer is why should they be in C?

I think a better answer is: "they aren't in C **yet** because
they never will be. The never will be because they don't belong."

It's like asking: "when will assembly have garbage collection?"
or "when will VHDL provide a tty interface?".

JesusWaffle@gmail.com 05-15-2006 07:03 PM

Re: overloading, template, exception handling and c

C is, at heart, a systems programming language. It has to be able to
run without a runtime environment, and often on very small computers.
Adding such features would reduce the usefulness of the language for
many important purposes.

Flash Gordon 05-15-2006 07:17 PM

Re: overloading, template, exception handling and c

JesusWaffle@gmail.com wrote:

Please provide context when replying. See the Google section at
http://clc-wiki.net/wiki/Intro_to_clc

> C is, at heart, a systems programming language. It has to be able to
> run without a runtime environment,

That will be why it has a library defined by the standard then, so that
there is no run time support...

> and often on very small computers.
> Adding such features would reduce the usefulness of the language for
> many important purposes.

Possibly. A bigger reason in my opinion is that there are already
languages with those things, so why turn C in to one?

Default User 05-15-2006 08:07 PM

Re: overloading, template, exception handling and c

JesusWaffle@gmail.com wrote:

> C is, at heart, a systems programming language. It has to be able to
> run without a runtime environment, and often on very small computers.
> Adding such features would reduce the usefulness of the language for
> many important purposes.

What features? Please read the information below.

Brian
header.

CBFalconer 05-15-2006 09:06 PM

Re: overloading, template, exception handling and c

"JesusWaffle@gmail.com" wrote:

> C is, at heart, a systems programming language. It has to be able to
> run without a runtime environment, and often on very small computers.
> Adding such features would reduce the usefulness of the language for
> many important purposes.

What features?

In general on usenet you should realize that readers may very well
not have convenient access to previous articles in a thread. That
means that your reply articles should include adequate context, so
that they stand by themselves. Google is NOT usenet, it is only a
very poor interface to the real usenet system. To include proper
context when using google, see my sig. below. Please be sure to
read the referenced URLs.