Velocity Reviews

-   -   MSDN? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t44272-msdn.html)

=?Utf-8?B?d2FzcA==?= 05-29-2004 03:31 PM

MSDN?

I am a recent college graduate who wants to get .net certified. Can anyone help me understand how to integrate the msdn with my studying. I hope the question is clear enough. I just want to know how to better use the resources in the msdn.

Chipmunk 05-29-2004 04:09 PM

Re: MSDN?

If you have a certification study book or training kit, then each chapter
typically contains references to MSDN and other websites with relevent
information. There are also websites that collect links related to specific
exams. For example, http://www.codeclinic.com/certification.htm

Chip

Curly 05-29-2004 04:42 PM

MSDN?

MSDN provides a wealth of information on MS development
tools, best practices, design patterns, and the
overall .NET architecture, including a detailed reference
of .NET classes, etc. I don't think there's anything in
there that is geared specifically toward the cert exams -
but maybe I just haven't run across it.

You need something that gives you a sense of what to
focus on in preparing for each exam. I use the Microsoft
Study Guides myself but I generally agree with a lot of
people on this board who are somewhat dissapointed by
them. (Basically, I'm using them 'cause I'm cheap and
got the books for all 4 core exams for $120 from Amazon.
And that came with discount tickets for the exams. Came
out to about eleven bucks a book - probably about what
they are worth.)

Read this newsgroup, plus reviews on Amazon, ask people,
whatever and decide on a study guide for each test and go
through it. Use MSDN to get further information on
topics that don't make any sense in the books (happens a
lot). Also, I'm constantly looking things up in MSDN
while I'm actually coding, designing, etc.

The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere 05-29-2004 05:16 PM

Re: MSDN?

On Sat, 29 May 2004 08:31:03 -0700, "wasp"

>I am a recent college graduate who wants to get .net certified.
>Can anyone help me understand how to integrate the msdn with my studying.
>I hope the question is clear enough.
>I just want to know how to better use the resources in the msdn.

See the exam prep guides for the exams you wish to take. These give a
break down of the topic's you can expect to find on the exams.

Then it's simple research, taking notes in the process, much like you
did (I assume) during your college degree. The MSDN contains a wealth
of information, and during your research I guarantee you will learn
more than what is required to pass the exams.

Also, make sure you access to products themselves, including sql
server.

A word of warning - stay away from braindumps.....

Good luck

Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere 05-29-2004 05:19 PM

Re: MSDN?

Good advice.

On Sat, 29 May 2004 09:42:00 -0700, "Curly"

>MSDN provides a wealth of information on MS development
>tools, best practices, design patterns, and the
>overall .NET architecture, including a detailed reference
>of .NET classes, etc. I don't think there's anything in
>there that is geared specifically toward the cert exams -
>but maybe I just haven't run across it.
>
>You need something that gives you a sense of what to
>focus on in preparing for each exam. I use the Microsoft
>Study Guides myself but I generally agree with a lot of
>people on this board who are somewhat dissapointed by
>them. (Basically, I'm using them 'cause I'm cheap and
>got the books for all 4 core exams for $120 from Amazon.
>And that came with discount tickets for the exams. Came
>out to about eleven bucks a book - probably about what
>they are worth.)
>
>Read this newsgroup, plus reviews on Amazon, ask people,
>whatever and decide on a study guide for each test and go
>through it. Use MSDN to get further information on
>topics that don't make any sense in the books (happens a
>lot). Also, I'm constantly looking things up in MSDN
>while I'm actually coding, designing, etc.

Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

=?Utf-8?B?d2FzcA==?= 05-29-2004 06:21 PM

RE: MSDN?

Thanks all. Very helpful group indeed. Chipmunk and curly, thanks for the advice. Mr Kline I will stay away from the dumps. I hope to continue getting more help from the group as I go along.

Eric 06-01-2004 03:33 PM

Re: MSDN?

wasp wrote:

> I am a recent college graduate who wants to get .net certified. Can
> anyone help me understand how to integrate the msdn with my studying.
> I hope the question is clear enough. I just want to know how to
> better use the resources in the msdn.

MSDN has way too much info for a beginner in .NET. It's cool to check
out the links there sometimes, but if you don't know the subject to
beging with, you should get the training guides by Kalani (C#), or
Gunderloy (VB.NET) and study them first. This is a much better use of
your time.

After you know the material, take the tests. Then spend more time with
MSDN to understand the more advanced stuff...

Eric