Velocity Reviews

-   -   For loops help (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t442702-for-loops-help.html)

paolo.arimado@gmail.com 05-11-2006 10:51 AM

For loops help

Dear everyone,

Can someone please help me on my HW. I'm trying to write a program
that will display the following:

*
***
*****
*******
*********
*********
*******
*****
***
*

I'm having a hard time writing a code for this one. I tried several
times, but I can't get it to work properly. I live in Japan and I take
an online C++ course. The instructor lives in the US so whenever I am
awake, he's asleep. Therefore, I cannot contact him directly when I
need help. I have to get this program up and running ASAP. I tried
searching everywhere for help, but there's none except for this group.
My textbook isn't much of a help either. I WILL GREATLY APPRECIATE THE
HELP I WILL GET!

Vladimir Oka 05-11-2006 11:07 AM

Re: For loops help

paolo.arimado@gmail.com wrote:
> Dear everyone,
>
> Can someone please help me on my HW. I'm trying to write a program
> that will display the following:
>
> *
> ***
> *****
> *******
> *********
> *********
> *******
> *****
> ***
> *
>
> I'm having a hard time writing a code for this one. I tried several
> times, but I can't get it to work properly. I live in Japan and I take
> an online C++ course. The instructor lives in the US so whenever I am
> awake, he's asleep. Therefore, I cannot contact him directly when I
> need help. I have to get this program up and running ASAP. I tried
> searching everywhere for help, but there's none except for this group.
> My textbook isn't much of a help either. I WILL GREATLY APPRECIATE THE
> HELP I WILL GET!

Post some of the attempts you have made. Nobody will just give you the
solution. Also, read the link below, especially where it talks about
(or links to) how a homework question should be asked:

http://www.clc-wiki.net/wiki/Introdu...to_comp.lang.c

I can offer one solution, though I doubt that's what you're looking
for:

#include <stdio.h>

int main(void)
{
int i;

for (i=0; i<1; i++)
{
printf(" *\n");
printf(" ***\n");
printf(" *****\n");
printf(" *******\n");
printf("*********\n");
printf("*********\n");
printf(" *******\n");
printf(" *****\n");
printf(" ***\n");
printf(" *\n");
}

return 0;
}

Richard Bos 05-11-2006 11:14 AM

Re: For loops help

paolo.arimado@gmail.com wrote:

> Can someone please help me on my HW. I'm trying to write a program
> that will display the following:
>
> *
> ***
> *****
> *******
> *********
> *********
> *******
> *****
> ***
> *

#include <stdio.h>

int main(void)
{
puts(" *");
puts(" ***");
puts(" *****");
puts(" *******");
puts("*********");
puts("*********");
puts(" *******");
puts(" *****");
puts(" ***");
puts(" *");
puts("");
puts("Copyright 2006 Richard L. Bos - all rights reserved.");

return 0;
}

> I'm having a hard time writing a code for this one. I tried several
> times, but I can't get it to work properly. I live in Japan and I take
> an online C++ course.

Then a. you want to replace <stdio.h> with something like <cstdio.h++>;
b. you want something like stdout << instead of puts(; and c. you need
to ask in comp.lang.c++, not comp.lang.c.

> The instructor lives in the US so whenever I am awake, he's asleep.
> Therefore, I cannot contact him directly when I need help.

They don't have e-mail in the US? Gosh. I knew that country was a bit
primitive in some aspects, but that's truly backwards.

> I have to get this program up and running ASAP.

I really, really doubt that.

FWIW: DYODH. HTH; HAND.

Richard

Christopher Benson-Manica 05-11-2006 11:15 AM

Re: For loops help

paolo.arimado@gmail.com wrote:

> Can someone please help me on my HW. I'm trying to write a program
> that will display the following:

(snip asterisks)

> I'm having a hard time writing a code for this one. I tried several
> times, but I can't get it to work properly.

Post your best attempt. We'll fix your code, but we won't write it
for you.

And post to the correct newsgroup. comp.lang.c++ is that way ---->

pete 05-11-2006 11:43 AM

Re: For loops help

paolo.arimado@gmail.com wrote:

> *
> ***
> *****
> *******
> *********
> *********
> *******
> *****
> ***
> *

/* BEGIN new.c */

#include <stdio.h>
#include <string.h>

#define FIVE 5

void function(char *array, int max, int limit);
char *str_rev(char *s);

int main(void)
{
char array[FIVE] = "";
int counter;

counter = FIVE;
while (counter-- != 0) {
function(array, FIVE - 1, counter);
}
for (counter = 0; counter != FIVE; ++counter) {
function(array, FIVE - 1, counter);
}
return 0;
}

void function(char *array, int max, int limit)
{
int count;

for (count = 0; count != limit; ++count) {
array[count] = ' ';
}
while (count != max) {
array[count] = '*';
++count;
}
printf(array);
putchar('*');
str_rev(array);
puts(array);
}

char *str_rev(char *s)
{
char *t, swap;
char *const p = s;

if (s[0] != '\0' && s[1] != '\0') {
t = s + 1 + strlen(s + 2);
do {
swap = *t;
*t-- = *s;
*s++ = swap;
} while (t > s);
}
return p;
}

/* END new.c */

--
pete

osmium 05-11-2006 11:59 AM

Re: For loops help

<paolo.arimado@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can someone please help me on my HW. I'm trying to write a program
> that will display the following:
>
> *
> ***
> *****
> *******
> *********
> *********
> *******
> *****
> ***
> *
>
> I'm having a hard time writing a code for this one. I tried several
> times, but I can't get it to work properly. I live in Japan and I take
> an online C++ course. The instructor lives in the US so whenever I am
> awake, he's asleep. Therefore, I cannot contact him directly when I
> need help. I have to get this program up and running ASAP. I tried
> searching everywhere for help, but there's none except for this group.
> My textbook isn't much of a help either. I WILL GREATLY APPRECIATE THE
> HELP I WILL GET!

Resolve to do it in two parts, the asterisks are growing or the asterisks
are shrinking.

For the growing asterisks:
Write two functions, one to print n spaces and another to print n asterisks.
Call these functions with the appropriate parameters, and have the main loop
provide the end of line. That is, one iteration of the for loop prints one
*line*.

Make a table like this:

line nbr nbr asterisks
1 1
2 3
3 5
4 6

Note the sequence and provide appropriate code in the for loop to provide
the appropriate value to the asterisk printing function.

Note well how the liberal use of functions empties the mind of extraneous
non-interesting (at the moment) things.

Now do the shrinking asterisks bit.

Done.
-----
I *finally* figured out what HW is. Homework!

Richard Heathfield 05-11-2006 02:00 PM

Re: For loops help

paolo.arimado@gmail.com said:

> Dear everyone,
>
> Can someone please help me on my HW. I'm trying to write a program
> that will display the following:
>
> *
> ***
> *****
> *******
> *********
> *********
> *******
> *****
> ***
> *
>
> I'm having a hard time writing a code for this one. I tried several
> times, but I can't get it to work properly. I live in Japan and I take
> an online C++ course. The instructor lives in the US so whenever I am
> awake, he's asleep. Therefore, I cannot contact him directly when I
> need help. I have to get this program up and running ASAP. I tried
> searching everywhere for help, but there's none except for this group.
> My textbook isn't much of a help either. I WILL GREATLY APPRECIATE THE
> HELP I WILL GET!

My pleasure.

#define M 002354l
#define A 000644l
#define G 000132l
#define I 000322l
#define C 000374l

#define a ;
#define b for
#define c ++
#define d %
#define e int
#define f ,
#define g -
#define h 011
#define i =
#define j {
#define k )
#define l '\n'
#define m main
#define n <
#define o }
#define p >
#define q &&
#define r (
#define s ||
#define t ?
#define u putchar
#define v void
#define w '*'
#define x :
#define y ' '
#define _ /
#define C_O_O_L return

e u r e k a

m r
v k j
j j j j
j j j j j
j j j j j j
j j j j j j j
j e z a b r z i
M _ A _ G _ I _ C
a z n G a u r z d h
+ z _ h p M _ A q z d
h + z _ h n M _ G q z _
h n z d h + M _ I q z _ h
p z d h g M _ C t w x y k f
z d h g h + 1 s u r l k f z c
k a u r l k a j j j j j j j j j
j j C_O_O_L M _ A _ G _ I _ C a o
o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o
o o o o
o o o o
o o o o
o o o o

--
Richard Heathfield
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999

Vladimir Oka 05-11-2006 02:10 PM

Re: For loops help

Richard Heathfield wrote:
> paolo.arimado@gmail.com said:
>
> > Dear everyone,
> >
> > Can someone please help me on my HW. I'm trying to write a program
> > that will display the following:
> >
> > *
> > ***
> > *****
> > *******
> > *********
> > *********
> > *******
> > *****
> > ***
> > *
> >
> > I'm having a hard time writing a code for this one. I tried several
> > times, but I can't get it to work properly. I live in Japan and I take
> > an online C++ course. The instructor lives in the US so whenever I am
> > awake, he's asleep. Therefore, I cannot contact him directly when I
> > need help. I have to get this program up and running ASAP. I tried
> > searching everywhere for help, but there's none except for this group.
> > My textbook isn't much of a help either. I WILL GREATLY APPRECIATE THE
> [...]

Thank you! You've definitely made my day! LoL

Robert Latest 05-11-2006 03:22 PM

Re: For loops help

On Thu, 11 May 2006 14:00:50 +0000,
Richard Heathfield <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote
in Msg. <IvqdnVvtxcAH3v7ZnZ2dnUVZ8qudnZ2d@bt.com>

> #define M 002354l
> #define A 000644l
> #define G 000132l
> #define I 000322l
> #define C 000374l

[...]

> h n z d h + M _ I q z _ h
> p z d h g M _ C t w x y k f
> z d h g h + 1 s u r l k f z c
> k a u r l k a j j j j j j j j j
> j j C_O_O_L M _ A _ G _ I _ C a o
> o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o
> o o o o
> o o o o
> o o o o
> o o o o

OK, let's un-obfuscate this a little bit:

------
int putchar(int);

int main(void)
{
int z;

for (z =
002354l / 000644l / 000132l / 000322l / 000374l; z < 000132l;
putchar(z % 011 + z / 011 > 002354l / 000644l
&& z % 011 + z / 011 < 002354l / 000132l
&& z / 011 < z % 011 + 002354l / 000322l
&& z / 011 > z % 011 - 002354l / 000374l ? '*' : ' '),
z % 011 - 011 + 1 || putchar('\n'), z++);
putchar('\n');
return 002354l / 000644l / 000132l / 000322l / 000374l;
}
------

Ho do you come up with stuff like this? I don't get it. My mind doesn't
work that way.

Puzzled,
robert

Richard Heathfield 05-11-2006 03:55 PM

Re: For loops help

Robert Latest said:

> for (z =
> 002354l / 000644l / 000132l / 000322l / 000374l; z < 000132l;
> putchar(z % 011 + z / 011 > 002354l / 000644l
> && z % 011 + z / 011 < 002354l / 000132l
> && z / 011 < z % 011 + 002354l / 000322l
> && z / 011 > z % 011 - 002354l / 000374l ? '*' : ' '),
> z % 011 - 011 + 1 || putchar('\n'), z++);
> putchar('\n');
> return 002354l / 000644l / 000132l / 000322l / 000374l;
> }
> ------
>
> Ho do you come up with stuff like this? I don't get it. My mind doesn't
> work that way.

Well, I see no point using two loops when one will do, that's all.

I also don't think a program is sufficiently obfuscated if its workings are
immediately clear to the reader after running the source through cpp and
indent!