Velocity Reviews

-   -   MCSD Training (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t44268-mcsd-training.html)

Ger4ld 05-27-2004 07:10 PM

MCSD Training

Hi,

I am a developer. I am asking for opinions, am planing to
take up MCSD training. I do not have any idea how much the
package cost. i went to one tech school and offered me
$12,500 for the whole package, like 208 hours of
instructional traning excluding the lab hours, price
excludes the exam fees which is $125/exam (I was told there
will be 8 exams for MCSD).

Is this a good deal? The traning costing me this much, I am
thinking just buying the self-paced books from Microsoft
and study by myself, then take the certification exams,....

I need opinion guys. Thanks

The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere 05-27-2004 07:31 PM

Re: MCSD Training

>(I was told there
>will be 8 exams for MCSD)

You were told wrong.

>I am
>thinking just buying the self-paced books from Microsoft
>and study by myself, then take the certification exams,....

Good idea.

Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

Ger4ld 05-27-2004 09:14 PM

Re: MCSD Training

Thanks for replies guys. Yeah I checked, not 8 exams. 4
core exams and 1 elec exam.

Was wondering, getting the MCSD training kit is enough? My
working pc runs on XP Pro, Visual Studio.Net 2003 (60 day
eval), SQL Server 2000,... will this be enough resource to
study andpass the exams??

Ive been working on .Net Primarily asp.net and ado.net
using the .Net SDK, and using webmatrix and dreamweaver mx
as my development aid.

Am just axious if going to traning school and spening that
much money would be as much as studying on my own.

Opinions are really appreciated. And ADVICES.

05-27-2004 10:22 PM

Re: MCSD Training

Did you mention what your prior professional development experience has
been? Buy the C# for web training book, study for a few weeks and then try
taking the first exam on your own.

"Ger4ld" <bonjing@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for replies guys. Yeah I checked, not 8 exams. 4
> core exams and 1 elec exam.
>
> Was wondering, getting the MCSD training kit is enough? My
> working pc runs on XP Pro, Visual Studio.Net 2003 (60 day
> eval), SQL Server 2000,... will this be enough resource to
> study andpass the exams??
>
> Ive been working on .Net Primarily asp.net and ado.net
> using the .Net SDK, and using webmatrix and dreamweaver mx
> as my development aid.
>
> Am just axious if going to traning school and spening that
> much money would be as much as studying on my own.
>
> Opinions are really appreciated. And ADVICES.

The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere 05-28-2004 05:14 PM

Re: MCSD Training

>Thanks for replies guys. Yeah I checked, not 8 exams. 4
>core exams and 1 elec exam.

Yep.

>Was wondering, getting the MCSD training kit is enough? My
>working pc runs on XP Pro, Visual Studio.Net 2003 (60 day
>eval), SQL Server 2000,... will this be enough resource to
>study andpass the exams??

MS training kits are rubbish, don't waste your money on those. Your
environment is fine.

>Ive been working on .Net Primarily asp.net and ado.net
>using the .Net SDK, and using webmatrix and dreamweaver mx
>as my development aid.

OK, good start, ADO is covered on all the exams. You may need to have
a play with component services, how to interop with COM and the win32
API & how to create and use windows services.

For the desktop stuff, real simple but make sure you understand about
config files.

Make sure you read through the exam prep guides.

>Am just axious if going to traning school and spening that
>much money would be as much as studying on my own.

Waste of money for any professional. If you do go down this route,
make sure they have a good reputation.

Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

Larry Somers 05-30-2004 02:02 PM

MCSD Training

If you've been a Windows developer for several years and
know C++ and OO then I suggest
http://www.trainingcamp.net. (and no, I don't work for
them). They offer two week boot camps that get you though
all the MCSD examps. Cost is about $7500 but this
includes exams, meals and lodging for two weeks of
intensive training that will get you your MCSD. They
really know what they're doing and all instructors are
Microsoft certified. You need to pass 5 exams, 3 for the
MCAD and 2 more for the MCSD.

They have a main facility at a resort in the Poconos
Mountains in Pennsylvania that is great!

It's intense. You will get about 4 hours sleep a night
and no time for anything but studing for the exams. You
need to have a good attitude and not too big of an ego
and you'll do fine. I went though it and thought it was
great! The guys that faied were the quitters and the guys
with egos that couldn't handel the possibility of
failure. Some of the guys didn't pass one of the exams
the first time but the insturctor works with you if you
fail and you simply retake the exam the next day. (Extra
exams cost $125).

Don't do it if you have not been doing Windows and OO
development for several years, including at least some
SQL Server development experience. This training is not
for novices.

The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere 05-30-2004 04:07 PM

Re: MCSD Training

Or better still....

If you've been a Windows developer for several years and
know C++ and OO then I suggest -

.... that you already have good grounding in which to get to grips with
dot net, certainly to the level required to pass the exams.

You can then spend the $7,500 on a two week vacation with the wife and
kids, instead of handing over the cash to boot camp provider.

On Sun, 30 May 2004 07:02:37 -0700, "Larry Somers"
<larry@somertyme.com> wrote:

>If you've been a Windows developer for several years and
>know C++ and OO then I suggest
>http://www.trainingcamp.net. (and no, I don't work for
>them). They offer two week boot camps that get you though
>all the MCSD examps. Cost is about $7500 but this
>includes exams, meals and lodging for two weeks of
>intensive training that will get you your MCSD. They
>really know what they're doing and all instructors are
>Microsoft certified. You need to pass 5 exams, 3 for the
>MCAD and 2 more for the MCSD.
>
>They have a main facility at a resort in the Poconos
>Mountains in Pennsylvania that is great!
>
>It's intense. You will get about 4 hours sleep a night
>and no time for anything but studing for the exams. You
>need to have a good attitude and not too big of an ego
>and you'll do fine. I went though it and thought it was
>great! The guys that faied were the quitters and the guys
>with egos that couldn't handel the possibility of
>failure. Some of the guys didn't pass one of the exams
>the first time but the insturctor works with you if you
>fail and you simply retake the exam the next day. (Extra
>exams cost $125).
>
>Don't do it if you have not been doing Windows and OO
>development for several years, including at least some
>SQL Server development experience. This training is not
>for novices.

Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

06-01-2004 05:12 PM

Re: MCSD Training

Or you can use it to build a fort out of one dollar
bills.....or if thats not enough convert it to pennies....
surely then the fort will be large enough!

The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere 06-01-2004 05:17 PM

Re: MCSD Training

>Or you can use it to build a fort out of one dollar
>bills.....or if thats not enough convert it to pennies....
>surely then the fort will be large enough!

nice idea!

Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

Marty McFly 07-12-2004 01:33 PM

Re: MCSD Training

I agree, Larry...overall, The Training Camp was a good training experience
for me, too. I took the last half (one week) of the MCDBA training, and
passed both exams (70-228 & 70-229) easily on the first try.

BUT...after lectures and labs, we DID use Test King exams to prepare for the
actual exams. Many of the questions on the real exam were word-for-word out
of the Test King exams. I will always be ashamed of that. Honestly, the
lecture and labs were great, but I recommend the braindump route only if you
have no conscience.

Marty