Velocity Reviews

-   -   C Database (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t441751-c-database.html)

raviz 03-13-2006 06:55 AM

C Database

i want to know how to create a database of your own using c or c++.
without using any external tools. if any body could provide me an idea
to go by it would help me a lot, also if their is any sample code it
would help me a lot.

Richard Heathfield 03-13-2006 07:43 AM

Re: C Database

raviz said:

> i want to know how to create a database of your own using c or c++.
> without using any external tools. if any body could provide me an idea
> to go by it would help me a lot, also if their is any sample code it
> would help me a lot.

First step - decide what you mean by "database". If you want to write a
full-blown SQL parsing engine, you're in for the long haul. If you simply
want to be able to store some data in a reasonably generic format and be
able to perform simple Create/Retrieve/Amend/Purge (or, if you prefer,
Create/Retrieve/Update/Delete) on that data, you can do quite a lot with a
bunch of ordinary text (or even binary) files.

At the bottom level, you're going to be using fopen, fread (or, if you're
like me and prefer text format, a custom-written routine to get a complete
line of text, and some parsing code to interpret it for you), fwrite (or
fprintf), fclose, and the like.

How much you build up from that is entirely up to you. You'll need to come
up with some kind of concrete design first, and then have a go at
implementing it. If you get stuck on the C implementation part of it, let
us know what you've got, what you want it to do, and what it's doing
instead, and you'll very likely get good support here. But alas, we don't
have time to do all your design and programming work for you.

--
Richard Heathfield
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999

Richard Bos 03-13-2006 09:03 AM

Re: C Database

"raviz" <raviv2880@gmail.com> wrote:

> i want to know how to create a database of your own using c or c++.
> without using any external tools. if any body could provide me an idea
> to go by it would help me a lot, also if their is any sample code it
> would help me a lot.

Design a database file format or find one you like on
<http://www.wotsit.org/search.asp?s=database>. Then go wild with
fopen(), fwrite(), fread(), fgetpos() and fsetpos().

Sample code? Sure. Decide what you _actually_ want to do ("create a
database" is just a tad vague), then do a websearch.

Richard

Charles Mills 03-13-2006 05:13 PM

Re: C Database

raviz wrote:
> i want to know how to create a database of your own using c or c++.
> without using any external tools. if any body could provide me an idea
> to go by it would help me a lot, also if their is any sample code it
> would help me a lot.

If you want to see what a relational database implemented in C looks
like, check out the freely available and open source database engine
SQLite:
http://www.sqlite.org/

-Charlie