Velocity Reviews

-   -   70-300, ambiguous question (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t44145-70-300-ambiguous-question.html)

Session 05-03-2004 05:48 PM

70-300, ambiguous question

Hello,

I had the following question on my 70-300 exam:

If you want to monitor the performance of your
application, which event logs should you use (choose 2)?

a - Custom Event Log
b - Application Event Log
c - System Event Log
d - Security Event Log

I was a little confused because I was thinking that you
could use three of them: custom to monitor anything you
want, application to monitor application performance, and
system to monitor resource performance. Could someone
help me out on their logic here. Thanks

Session

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\) 05-03-2004 07:21 PM

Re: 70-300, ambiguous question

I would read what it says:
"monitor the performance of your application"

It is not saying, monitor anything that can give you information about your
application, but asking you to focus on your application.

Let's examine:

Application - a given (TRUE)

System - can show you what the system is doing at the time, but not what
your application is doing. (FALSE)

NOTE: You can sometimes find your app problem in the security log, but it is
a needle in a haystack at best.

Security - can show you security events for the OS, but nothing directly
related to your application (FALSE)

NOTE: Security can be an application function, but the security log has
Windows auth events. While it might be useful to see if people are using
your app as a hole, it does not help you monitor your application.

Custom - If you want to focus on specific events, separate from the app
garbage dump (ie, focus only on YOUR app), you have to create a custom log.
(TRUE)

Short answer
-------------
Application and custom

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!
"Session" <semwamufiya@alum.vassar.edu> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I had the following question on my 70-300 exam:
>
> If you want to monitor the performance of your
> application, which event logs should you use (choose 2)?
>
> a - Custom Event Log
> b - Application Event Log
> c - System Event Log
> d - Security Event Log
>
> I was a little confused because I was thinking that you
> could use three of them: custom to monitor anything you
> want, application to monitor application performance, and
> system to monitor resource performance. Could someone
> help me out on their logic here. Thanks
>
> Session

The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere 05-04-2004 05:55 PM

Re: 70-300, ambiguous question

NDA comes to mind......

On Mon, 3 May 2004 10:48:17 -0700, "Session"
<semwamufiya@alum.vassar.edu> wrote:

>Hello,
>
> I had the following question on my 70-300 exam:
>
>If you want to monitor the performance of your
>application, which event logs should you use (choose 2)?
>
>a - Custom Event Log
>b - Application Event Log
>c - System Event Log
>d - Security Event Log
>
> I was a little confused because I was thinking that you
>could use three of them: custom to monitor anything you
>want, application to monitor application performance, and
>system to monitor resource performance. Could someone
>help me out on their logic here. Thanks
>
>Session

Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3