Velocity Reviews

-   -   MCSD Exam 70-300, Aaaaaaaaaaagh!! (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t44086-mcsd-exam-70-300-aaaaaaaaaaagh.html)

Jarett Weber 04-20-2004 06:54 PM

MCSD Exam 70-300, Aaaaaaaaaaagh!!

I was wondering if anyone had some input on scoring
better on the 70-300. I used the Microsoft Press books
and software, but they are worthless. The test is in an
entirely different format than the practice tests and the
test wants more technology and tool answers (ex. Using
ASP.NET, system.resource.debug.whatever to log an event,
etc.). I thought it would be based more on ideas and
concepts of design and database type stuff (like the
Microsoft Press stuff suggests) as opposed to what tools
to use. I needed a 700 and I got a 466. This is the
first test I've tried to take and am not real familiar
with .NET yet. I figured with my backround in C++
development (a couple years of schooling), I could learn
the new stuff on the run. Maybe I went about this all
wrong. Maybe I'm an idiot. Any feedback as far as
articles, websites, links, practice tests, etc., would be
greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone, keep up the good
work.

Matt Hawley 04-20-2004 07:06 PM

MCSD Exam 70-300, Aaaaaaaaaaagh!!

First off, you're not an idiot, well from my perspective since I don't know you ;) However, from what I hear this test is more difficult from all the others. I'm going to be taking it myself in the near future, possibly after I finish my training in 2 weeks for it. The bright side is that now you know what is on the test, so you can hone your skills well enough based on what you remember to pass with flying colors.

I do suggest start programming in .NET, and maybe go towards 70-305/315 and/or 70-306/316 first. These (from what you explained) will give you the background you need for 70-300.

Matt Hawley, MCAD .NET
http://www.eworldui.net

David 04-20-2004 07:22 PM

MCSD Exam 70-300, Aaaaaaaaaaagh!!

1. Pass 70-229 first because more than 50% of questions in
70-300 are database related.
2. Go through Exam Cram 2 qickly to understand the
concepts of the software lifecycle from MS point of view.
3. Try and study exams from trancender (spend most of your
time on exams).