Velocity Reviews

-   -   DLINK Repeater setup (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t4405-dlink-repeater-setup.html)

Display Name Here 09-12-2004 12:30 PM

DLINK Repeater setup

Hi, I've got a DLINK DI624 as my AP and I'm trying to extend my range with a
DWL210AP setup in repeater mode.

The 2100AP is properly setup as a repeater and it takes on the SSID of the
624.

The problem is that I cannot connect through the 2100AP, only the 624.

I can connect to the network as long as I am in range of the 624. As soon
as I am out of range, the 2100AP still shows up on my network connections
with 3-4 bars strength but I get the message "cannot connect to .." the
2100AP.

Tech support suggested using a different connection manager other than
Window's connection manager. I've tried the Intel (comes with card) and
Boingo but both give me the same problems.

Any suggestions?

Jeff Durham 09-12-2004 01:39 PM

Re: DLINK Repeater setup

Have you thought about setting up the second access point as an access point
rather than a repeater? A repeater will cut your available bandwidth in
half because it has to retransmit everything it does. I thought about a
repeater for my setup, but decided that a second access point was the way to
go. It has worked well and I can roam between locations with my laptop
without being disconnected.

Just be sure to setup each access point with identical settings (same
encryption scheme, etc.). The differences will be of course that each
access point will need its own unique IP address so it can be configured.
You also want to use a different channel for each. When I setup my Linksys
access points, the documentation said to use the same channel number. It
worked doing that, but everyone else has said that too will limit bandwidth
because of interference. Therefore, I used a different channel and
everything is working well. When selecting channels, use 1, 6, or 11. If
you use channel 1 for one access point, use either 6 or 11 for the other
access point. These channels do not overlap with each other. I will not go
into the explanation here about overlap as you can search google and find
that out.

Jeff

Jeff Durham 09-13-2004 12:39 PM

Re: DLINK Repeater setup

One other thing -- make sure the SSIDs on each access point are the same.

Jeff

Old Boy 09-17-2004 12:29 PM

Re: DLINK Repeater setup

FYI

The firmware 1.03 does not work in repeater mode, DLINK recommends
downgrading to 1.02 until the problem is fixed.

Cheers

Joe Dow 09-19-2004 10:56 PM

Re: DLINK Repeater setup

A repeater will cut your available bandwidth in
> half because it has to retransmit everything it does.

Can you explain this in more detail please?

swales 11-05-2004 04:02 PM

Re: DLINK Repeater setup

The DWL-2100 will work in repeater mode. But there are a few tricks.
have mine working with firmware 1.03. Have not tried the 2.0 yet.. bu
hear it works well.

The trick for me was with the client. For some reason I have to set m
client (Intel Pro 2100) to use a Mandatory AP and put in the repeater
MAC. So I have 2 profiles in my client. One goes to the main AP an
the other goes to the repeater. The repeater one is set for
Mandatory AP with the repeaters MAC. It now works.

Also be sure you have SSID broadcast turned on in the main AP (624) an
make sure you enter the SSID in the repeater. Some say you do not hav
to... but I found that if it does not have the SSID entered th
auto-switch between main AP and repeater does not work.

Display Name Here wrote:
> *Hi, I've got a DLINK DI624 as my AP and I'm trying to extend m
> range with a
> DWL210AP setup in repeater mode.
>
> The 2100AP is properly setup as a repeater and it takes on the SSI
> of the
> 624.
>
> The problem is that I cannot connect through the 2100AP, only th
> 624.
>
> I can connect to the network as long as I am in range of the 624. A
> soon
> as I am out of range, the 2100AP still shows up on my networ
> connections
> with 3-4 bars strength but I get the message "cannot connect to .."
> the
> 2100AP.
>
> Tech support suggested using a different connection manager othe
> than
> Window's connection manager. I've tried the Intel (comes with card
> and
> Boingo but both give me the same problems.
>
> Any suggestions?

-
swale

Golftdi130 02-05-2008 09:37 AM

DWL-2100AP (Repeater Issues)

Hey All

You might of heard some of the things im about to tell you but rather me reading through and trying to see what i need to write and dont here is all.

To set up a successful repeater you need to make sure the following

Make sure the SSID are the same

Make sure the Encryption are both the same as if you think about it, If you set up a repeater and you main Internet box has enccryption and you DWL-2100AP doesen't it wont work cause the main fact there not talking to eachother.

Make sure your internet box wireless channel is set to the same as the DWL-2100ap

If you change anything on either DWL-2100 or Internet Box you HAVE to change the setting on the other box for example if you hide the SSID on the DWL-2100 and not your internet they wont talk which means repeater wont work.

This is silly as well you need to have your repeater plugged in to your existing network.

Any Questions i will do my best to answer.

mathew21uk@gmail.com

Thanks

Mat