Velocity Reviews

-   -   OS dependent (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t440470-os-dependent.html)

Realos Osis 12-09-2005 01:26 PM

OS dependent

It is very much operating system dependent.

Please read up FAQ on http://www.faqs.org/faqs/C-faq/faq/

Section "19.4: How can I clear the screen?"

regards,

Realos

Christopher Benson-Manica 12-09-2005 03:58 PM

Re: OS dependent

Realos Osis <realos@loftmail.com> wrote:

> It is very much operating system dependent.

What is? You've included no context with your message, so no one has
a clue to whom you're speaking.

Richard Heathfield 12-09-2005 05:02 PM

Re: OS dependent

Christopher Benson-Manica said:

> Realos Osis <realos@loftmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It is very much operating system dependent.

> What is? You've included no context with your message, so no one has
> a clue to whom you're speaking.

That isn't true. Some people read Usenet using a threaded view. Others
don't, of course. So, strictly, it is only *some* people don't have a clue
to whom he's speaking. (Myself included, since I rarely bother to use
threaded views.)

--
Richard Heathfield
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999

Walter Roberson 12-09-2005 05:23 PM

Re: OS dependent

In article <dncdbt$27i$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com>,
Richard Heathfield <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>Christopher Benson-Manica said:

>> Realos Osis <realos@loftmail.com> wrote:

>>> It is very much operating system dependent.

>> What is? You've included no context with your message, so no one has
>> a clue to whom you're speaking.

>That isn't true. Some people read Usenet using a threaded view. Others
>don't, of course. So, strictly, it is only *some* people don't have a clue
>to whom he's speaking. (Myself included, since I rarely bother to use
>threaded views.)

The original posting was not threaded. It isn't just a case of it
being a reply to something that wasn't received: if you examine the
reference anything.

So this really is a case where unless you have read most postings and
can figure out where the screen clearing reference fit into something,
that you are highly unlikely to have any clue what the original poster
of this thread was talking about.
-- Christopher Priest

Flash Gordon 12-09-2005 05:31 PM

Re: OS dependent

Richard Heathfield wrote:
> Christopher Benson-Manica said:
>
>> Realos Osis <realos@loftmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> It is very much operating system dependent.

>> What is? You've included no context with your message, so no one has
>> a clue to whom you're speaking.

> That isn't true. Some people read Usenet using a threaded view. Others
> don't, of course. So, strictly, it is only *some* people don't have a clue
> to whom he's speaking. (Myself included, since I rarely bother to use
> threaded views.)

In this case a threaded view does not help since the post from Realos
Osis was done as the start of a new thread, not a reply to an existing
message.
--
Flash Gordon
Living in interesting times.

Richard Heathfield 12-09-2005 07:34 PM

Re: OS dependent

Flash Gordon said:

> In this case a threaded view does not help since the post from Realos
> Osis was done as the start of a new thread, not a reply to an existing
> message.

Oops. So it was. Perhaps I should have switched to threaded view before, or
rather instead of, opening my mouth and inserting my foot.

Default User 12-09-2005 08:19 PM

Re: OS dependent

Richard Heathfield wrote:

> Christopher Benson-Manica said:
>
> > Realos Osis <realos@loftmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> It is very much operating system dependent.

> > What is? You've included no context with your message, so no one
> > has a clue to whom you're speaking.

> That isn't true. Some people read Usenet using a threaded view.
> Others don't, of course. So, strictly, it is only some people don't
> have a clue to whom he's speaking. (Myself included, since I rarely
> bother to use threaded views.)

Or people who use threaded views but don't display previously read
messages. I'm set to only show unread messages, so if the original and
reply are from different "sessions" they don't show for me. I can
switch the view on the fly, but I usually won't.

Brian

header.

Eric Sosman 12-09-2005 10:42 PM

[OT] Re: OS dependent

Richard Heathfield wrote:

> Flash Gordon said:
>

>>In this case a threaded view does not help since the post from Realos
>>Osis was done as the start of a new thread, not a reply to an existing
>>message.

> Oops. So it was. Perhaps I should have switched to threaded view before, or
> rather instead of, opening my mouth and inserting my foot.

To help yourself remember, tie a string around your
fing-- um, your toe.

--
Eric Sosman
esosman@acm-dot-org.invalid