Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   C Programming (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f42-c-programming.html)
-   -   K&R Wishlist (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t439582-k-and-r-wishlist.html)

newby2c 09-29-2005 02:34 AM

K&R Wishlist
 
My personal K&R (3rd edition) wish list:

1. That a 3rd edition is actually published!
2. Make any and all corrections from earlier editions.
3. Update to comply with the c99 Standard.
4. A reference to other C books to aid the programmer.
5. A listing of C related web sites.
6. For ease of use, an appendix of tables used in the text.
7. Make an appendix with the full ascii table.
8. Make an appendix that includes a C Programming FAQ.
9. Appendix of answers to questions (ala Tondo & Gimple).
10. Even with the additions proposed, BREVITY must be maintained.


Keith Thompson 09-29-2005 05:09 AM

Re: K&R Wishlist
 
"newby2c" <servello@juno.com> writes:
> My personal K&R (3rd edition) wish list:
>
> 1. That a 3rd edition is actually published!
> 2. Make any and all corrections from earlier editions.
> 3. Update to comply with the c99 Standard.
> 4. A reference to other C books to aid the programmer.


Umm, ok.

> 5. A listing of C related web sites.


I don't think a hardcopy book is the best place for a list of web
sites. There's already a web page for the book.

> 6. For ease of use, an appendix of tables used in the text.
> 7. Make an appendix with the full ascii table.


That's not really C, but it has a chapter on Unix so I guess I
wouldn't mind.

> 8. Make an appendix that includes a C Programming FAQ.
> 9. Appendix of answers to questions (ala Tondo & Gimple).


Then instructors couldn't assign questions from the book as class
exercises. I've seen a "C Answer Book"; putting the anwers in a
separate book seems like a good compromise.

> 10. Even with the additions proposed, BREVITY must be maintained.


--
Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) kst-u@mib.org <http://www.ghoti.net/~kst>
San Diego Supercomputer Center <*> <http://users.sdsc.edu/~kst>
We must do something. This is something. Therefore, we must do this.

Eric Sosman 09-29-2005 12:41 PM

Re: K&R Wishlist
 
newby2c wrote:

> My personal K&R (3rd edition) wish list:
>
> 1. That a 3rd edition is actually published!
> 2. Make any and all corrections from earlier editions.
> 3. Update to comply with the c99 Standard.
> 4. A reference to other C books to aid the programmer.
> 5. A listing of C related web sites.
> 6. For ease of use, an appendix of tables used in the text.
> 7. Make an appendix with the full ascii table.
> 8. Make an appendix that includes a C Programming FAQ.
> 9. Appendix of answers to questions (ala Tondo & Gimple).
> 10. Even with the additions proposed, BREVITY must be maintained.


Sounds wonderful. After Mr. K. and Mr. R. have done all
the work to produce this marvelous new thing, please tell me
where I can download it for free. In Urdu, if possible.

--
Eric Sosman
esosman@acm-dot-org.invalid


Chris Hills 09-29-2005 12:58 PM

Re: K&R Wishlist
 
In article <1127961267.738066.220060@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups .com>,
newby2c <servello@juno.com> writes
> My personal K&R (3rd edition) wish list:
>
> 1. That a 3rd edition is actually published!

There are other books out there already.

When K&R did V 1 it was their language.

When they did V2 they were major players in the panel that did it.

Now C99 is produced by a world wide group of panels... so a K&R3 would
be no more authoritative than many other books.

> 2. Make any and all corrections from earlier editions.
> 3. Update to comply with the c99 Standard.

OK but there are no widely used compilers working to this.

> 4. A reference to other C books to aid the programmer.

Here is the competition, buy these? Besides new books come put all the
time and other go out of print all the time.

> 5. A listing of C related web sites.

These change daily. As do their content and accuracy

> 6. For ease of use, an appendix of tables used in the text.

OK

> 7. Make an appendix with the full ascii table.


Why? A waste of paper. This is available "everywhere"

> 8. Make an appendix that includes a C Programming FAQ.


That is already a separate book by some one else.

> 9. Appendix of answers to questions (ala Tondo & Gimple).

No thanks. It is a reference book No questions let alone answers.

>10. Even with the additions proposed, BREVITY must be maintained.

"Everything" in half the size.

Don't want much do you?



--
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
\/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/
/\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org www.phaedsys.org \/\/\
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/




newby2c 09-29-2005 04:52 PM

Re: K&R Wishlist
 
Keith Thompson wrote:

> > 9. Appendix of answers to questions (ala Tondo & Gimple).

>
> Then instructors couldn't assign questions from the book as class
> exercises.


That's a good point.

newby2c


newby2c 09-29-2005 05:09 PM

Re: K&R Wishlist
 

Chris Hills wrote:

> >
> > 1. That a 3rd edition is actually published!

> There are other books out there already.


And this is why a 3rd edition should not be published? According to
your statement then, you think the 2nd edition should not have been
published.

> When K&R did V 1 it was their language.
>
> When they did V2 they were major players in the panel that did it.
>
> Now C99 is produced by a world wide group of panels... so a K&R3 would
> be no more authoritative than many other books.


That may be true, but I still don't see why a 3rd edition could not be
done.

> > 4. A reference to other C books to aid the programmer.

> Here is the competition, buy these? Besides new books come put all the
> time and other go out of print all the time.


This is a joke, right? 99.9% of the books I own, have references to
other texts within them.

> > 5. A listing of C related web sites.

> These change daily. As do their content and accuracy


Good point.

> > 7. Make an appendix with the full ascii table.

>
> Why? A waste of paper. This is available "everywhere"


Yes. However, it would be nice if the information needed could be found
in one source. Remember, this is *my* wishlist. Yours would, quite
naturally, be different.

> > 8. Make an appendix that includes a C Programming FAQ.

>
> That is already a separate book by some one else.


Again, it would be nice to have the info in *one* text.

> > 9. Appendix of answers to questions (ala Tondo & Gimple).

> No thanks. It is a reference book No questions let alone answers.


Ok, that's a personal preference. But if a book has questions (like K&R
does), then there should be answers.

> >10. Even with the additions proposed, BREVITY must be maintained.

> "Everything" in half the size.
>
> Don't want much do you?


Again, this is *my* personal wishlist.

newby2c


Chris Hills 09-29-2005 05:29 PM

Re: K&R Wishlist
 
In article <1128013787.245005.110120@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups .com>,
newby2c <servello@juno.com> writes
>
>Chris Hills wrote:
>
>> >
>> > 1. That a 3rd edition is actually published!

>> There are other books out there already.

>
>And this is why a 3rd edition should not be published? According to
>your statement then, you think the 2nd edition should not have been
>published.


No. The second edition came out before the standard and was the first
book on C90. Now there are many books on C.

>
>> When K&R did V 1 it was their language.
>>
>> When they did V2 they were major players in the panel that did it.
>>
>> Now C99 is produced by a world wide group of panels... so a K&R3 would
>> be no more authoritative than many other books.

>
>That may be true, but I still don't see why a 3rd edition could not be
>done.
>
>> > 4. A reference to other C books to aid the programmer.

>> Here is the competition, buy these? Besides new books come put all the
>> time and other go out of print all the time.

>
>This is a joke, right? 99.9% of the books I own, have references to
>other texts within them.


Not a joke. The references are just that. Reference the text make to
other books. Usually to a specific edition and page. It is not a list of
"other books".

All books have references to other material they cite. If they don't
reference other works directly then they don't list them.

What are you asking for? lists of other books on c that are not
specifically referenced in the text? Then my point stands.


>
>> > 5. A listing of C related web sites.

>> These change daily. As do their content and accuracy

>
>Good point.
>
>> > 7. Make an appendix with the full ascii table.

>>
>> Why? A waste of paper. This is available "everywhere"

>
>Yes. However, it would be nice if the information needed could be found
>in one source. Remember, this is *my* wishlist. Yours would, quite
>naturally, be different.


OK.


>> > 8. Make an appendix that includes a C Programming FAQ.

>>
>> That is already a separate book by some one else.

>
>Again, it would be nice to have the info in *one* text.


Then you want two books in one volume?


>
>> > 9. Appendix of answers to questions (ala Tondo & Gimple).

>> No thanks. It is a reference book No questions let alone answers.

>
>Ok, that's a personal preference. But if a book has questions (like K&R
>does), then there should be answers.


Agreed.
Though I prefer not questions at all.

>> >10. Even with the additions proposed, BREVITY must be maintained.

>> "Everything" in half the size.
>>
>> Don't want much do you?

>
>Again, this is *my* personal wishlist.
>
>newby2c
>


--
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
\/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/
/\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org www.phaedsys.org \/\/\
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/




Stan Milam 09-30-2005 03:45 AM

Re: K&R Wishlist
 
Keith Thompson wrote:
> "newby2c" <servello@juno.com> writes:


>> 9. Appendix of answers to questions (ala Tondo & Gimple).

>
>
> Then instructors couldn't assign questions from the book as class
> exercises. I've seen a "C Answer Book"; putting the anwers in a
> separate book seems like a good compromise.
>


The instructors should come up with their own damn problems for students
to solve!

Randy Howard 10-01-2005 03:44 AM

Re: K&R Wishlist
 
Stan Milam wrote
(in article <ox2%e.1478$Y_5.678@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com>) :

> Keith Thompson wrote:
>> "newby2c" <servello@juno.com> writes:

>
>>> 9. Appendix of answers to questions (ala Tondo & Gimple).

>>
>>
>> Then instructors couldn't assign questions from the book as class
>> exercises. I've seen a "C Answer Book"; putting the anwers in a
>> separate book seems like a good compromise.
>>

>
> The instructors should come up with their own damn problems for students
> to solve!


We've seen plenty of examples of what happens when instructors
make up their own questions. They get posted here, then railed
on for being completely in violation of the holy C standard.
Given the quality of what is being taught today, they should
just stop bothering altogether.



--
Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)


Mabden 10-02-2005 02:22 PM

Re: K&R Wishlist
 
"Randy Howard" <randyhoward@FOOverizonBAR.net> wrote in message
news:0001HW.BF63703E02B817C3F0488550@news.verizon. net...
>
> We've seen plenty of examples of what happens when instructors
> make up their own questions. They get posted here, then railed
> on for being completely in violation of the holy C standard.
> Given the quality of what is being taught today, they should
> just stop bothering altogether.
>

"They should just stop bothering."


Perhaps we need to create a fund to pay people who can teach, the money
it is worth to do it. I would call it "taxes", but that has already been
taken.

Maybe Keith, Thomp's son, could spend less time criticizing humor (a
topic he is less than apt at) and teach a college course on "Dead Sea
Linguistics" at a local Community College.

--
Mabden




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.