Velocity Reviews

-   -   How important is WEP? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t4395-how-important-is-wep.html)

=?Utf-8?B?RGVhbm9pZA==?= 09-11-2004 04:05 PM

How important is WEP?

Im wondering how important it is to use WEP? When I try to set up my router
with WEP 128 encryption I cannot connect to the internet but I have excellent
signal strength.When I resetup the router with 'disabled' I can connect to
the internet.Should I try using another setting?
Does the firewall on the router along with my 3rd party firewall
provide enough security?
Thankyou for answering,Deanoid

Tee 09-11-2004 06:04 PM

Re: How important is WEP?

"Deanoid" <Deanoid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Im wondering how important it is to use WEP? When I try to set up my

router
> with WEP 128 encryption I cannot connect to the internet but I have

excellent
> signal strength.When I resetup the router with 'disabled' I can connect to
> the internet.Should I try using another setting?
> Does the firewall on the router along with my 3rd party firewall
> provide enough security?

Did you go into the properties of your connection, enable WEP and enter the
key? Personally I don't find a huge need for WEP in a home user
environment. I think the double firewall is pretty good protection,
obviously not as great as WEP enabled, but better than average.

--
Tara

Jafo 09-11-2004 06:10 PM

Re: How important is WEP?

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 14:04:54 -0400, Tee posted:

>Personally I don't find a huge need for WEP in a home user environment.
>I think the double firewall is pretty good protection, obviously not
>as great as WEP enabled, but better than average.

Just ignore the car parked in front of your house with the license
plate of "SPAMMER". :)

Jeff Durham 09-11-2004 07:31 PM

Re: How important is WEP?

I think you are confused about the firewall. Wireless is just like having
someone walk into your house and plug into your LAN. Your main firewall in
the router only protects you from computers on the internet trying to get
into your network. Now, if you have a personal firewall on each one of your
machines, then having WEP to protect by authenticating and encrypting may
not be important. The difference then is do you allow your neighbors and
others outside your house free access to your internet connection.

Jeff

Jack 09-11-2004 08:35 PM

Re: How important is WEP?

Hi.
This page lists the basic security measures.
You can set your system with the simple ones and leave WEP/WPA Off for few
days.
If No Body logs On leave it Off and check every few days the status of the
system..
Otherwise switch On WPA.
In order to find out of a "Rouge" computer logged On you can look at the
DHCP server in your Cable/DSL Router (Access Point), see if there is
additional unknown IP numbers dished out.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

Tee 09-11-2004 08:42 PM

Re: How important is WEP?

"Jeff Durham" <jdurham.nospam@cinci.rr.com> wrote in message
> I think you are confused about the firewall. Wireless is just like having
> someone walk into your house and plug into your LAN. Your main firewall

in
> the router only protects you from computers on the internet trying to get
> into your network. Now, if you have a personal firewall on each one of

your
> machines, then having WEP to protect by authenticating and encrypting may
> not be important. The difference then is do you allow your neighbors and
> others outside your house free access to your internet connection.

The OP said he has two firewalls, one on the router & a 3rd party program,
which I assumed to be on his personal computer. IMO that's ok. As I said,
its not as good as enabling WEP but its better than alot of people do.

--
Tara

Tee 09-11-2004 08:46 PM

Re: How important is WEP?

"Jafo" <a@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 14:04:54 -0400, Tee posted:
>
> >Personally I don't find a huge need for WEP in a home user environment.
> >I think the double firewall is pretty good protection, obviously not
> >as great as WEP enabled, but better than average.

> Just ignore the car parked in front of your house with the license
> plate of "SPAMMER". :)

Not a problem since my signal *barely* reaches my front porch, as in right
in the area the door swings, and I'm happy with that. Someone, a spammer or
anyone else, would have to be plastered to my front door or inside my home
to get my signal. My backyard is privacy fenced but I've also taken both my
laptops out there to try them. Neighbor on one side cannot see my router
signal. No neighbor on other side. Please don't assume everyone is a total
idiot.

--
Tara

=?Utf-8?B?RGVhbm9pZA==?= 09-11-2004 10:45 PM

Re: How important is WEP?

Thanks to all for your advice and will try. Deanoid

TW 09-14-2004 01:08 AM

Re: How important is WEP?

I use a Dlink DI624, and my connection is still good across the street and
down two houses. I use WEP, not for internet security but think it this
way- anyone with access to my network will ALSO have access to ANY and ALL
shares on my network. Sound like a security risk? Use either WEP or WPA-PSK.
Read everything you can find on the 'net and learn about wireless security.

Simon Pleasants 09-14-2004 07:43 AM

Re: How important is WEP?

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 20:08:52 -0500, "TW" <twilcken@msn.com> wrote:

>I use a Dlink DI624, and my connection is still good across the street and
>down two houses. I use WEP, not for internet security but think it this
>way- anyone with access to my network will ALSO have access to ANY and ALL
>shares on my network. Sound like a security risk? Use either WEP or WPA-PSK.
>Read everything you can find on the 'net and learn about wireless security.

That depends on what access restrictions you've put on your shares.
There is not a single share on my computer with anyone access. Most
are restricted to two usernames only and some are restricted to just
one.