Velocity Reviews

-   -   How to read all files present in a directory in C ? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t436536-how-to-read-all-files-present-in-a-directory-in-c.html)

vsk 01-18-2005 06:20 AM

How to read all files present in a directory in C ?

Hai All,
How to read all files present in a directory in C ?.
Thanks,

Ben Pfaff 01-18-2005 06:56 AM

Re: How to read all files present in a directory in C ?

"vsk" <vsk_cit@yahoo.co.in> writes:

> How to read all files present in a directory in C ?.

This is in the FAQ.

19.20: How can I read a directory in a C program?

A: See if you can use the opendir() and readdir() functions, which
are part of the POSIX standard and are available on most Unix
variants. Implementations also exist for MS-DOS, VMS, and other
systems. (MS-DOS also has FINDFIRST and FINDNEXT routines which
do essentially the same thing.) readdir() only returns file
names; if you need more information about the file, try calling
stat(). To match filenames to some wildcard pattern, see
question 13.7.

POSIX Sec. 5.1; Schumacher, ed., _Software Solutions in C_
Sec. 8.
--
"When in doubt, treat ``feature'' as a pejorative.
(Think of a hundred-bladed Swiss army knife.)"

Thomas Matthews 01-18-2005 08:21 PM

Ben Pfaff wrote:
> "vsk" <vsk_cit@yahoo.co.in> writes:
>

>> How to read all files present in a directory in C ?.

> This is in the FAQ.
>
> 19.20: How can I read a directory in a C program?
>
> A: See if you can use the opendir() and readdir() functions, which
> are part of the POSIX standard and are available on most Unix
> variants. Implementations also exist for MS-DOS, VMS, and other
> systems. (MS-DOS also has FINDFIRST and FINDNEXT routines which
> do essentially the same thing.) readdir() only returns file
> names; if you need more information about the file, try calling
> stat(). To match filenames to some wildcard pattern, see
> question 13.7.

> POSIX Sec. 5.1; Schumacher, ed., _Software Solutions in C_
> Sec. 8.

Ben, a suggestion: also include the link to the
FAQ. Your reply doesn't inform the OP how to get
to the FAQ or where it came from. Hmmmm, kind of
like citing your references. ;-)

--
Thomas Matthews

C++ newsgroup welcome message:
http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ faq:
Other sites:

Mike Wahler 01-18-2005 08:33 PM

Re: How to read all files present in a directory in C ?

"Thomas Matthews" <Thomas_MatthewsSpamBotsSuck@sbcglobal.net> wrote in
message news:41ED6FA8.5090103@sbcglobal.net...
> Ben, a suggestion: also include the link to the
> FAQ. Your reply doesn't inform the OP how to get
> to the FAQ or where it came from. Hmmmm, kind of
> like citing your references. ;-)

I'm all for helping folks, but imo the 'hand holding'
can get out of hand, causing some to view the regulars
here as virtual servants. Anyone can type "C FAQ" into
google and find it. Ben did give the FAQ item number
with his quotation.

[insert that stuff about fish and feeding folks]

-Mike

Newcomer 01-19-2005 12:56 PM

Re: How to read all files present in a directory in C ?

In article <noeHd.1400$Ju1.151@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.n et>, Mike
Wahler <mkwahler@mkwahler.net> wrote:

> "Thomas Matthews" <Thomas_MatthewsSpamBotsSuck@sbcglobal.net> wrote in
> message news:41ED6FA8.5090103@sbcglobal.net...
> > Ben, a suggestion: also include the link to the
> > FAQ. Your reply doesn't inform the OP how to get
> > to the FAQ or where it came from. Hmmmm, kind of
> > like citing your references. ;-)

> I'm all for helping folks, but imo the 'hand holding'
> can get out of hand, causing some to view the regulars
> here as virtual servants. Anyone can type "C FAQ" into
> google and find it.

Such behaviour also helps keep the 'elect' and the mere rabble
separate. What's more important? To help those who need it, or to show
disdain for those who don't know what you happen to know?

FAQ's are very often concerned with netiquette and topical definitions;
and I for one had not assumed there was a collection of 'those' sort of
frequent questions about C.

However if this (suggested by Google)

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/faq.html

was what you were talking about, it wouldn't open.

neither would this (suggested by Google)

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/questions.htmll

nor this (suggested by Google)

http://www.lysator.liu.se/c/c-faq/

However, I did have better luck with this:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/hepatitis/c/faq.htm

Is this what you meant? I'm tempted to add 'FAQED'.

Another Newcomer

pete 01-19-2005 01:26 PM

Newcomer wrote:

> In article <noeHd.1400$Ju1.151@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.n et>, Mike
> Wahler <mkwahler@mkwahler.net> wrote:
>
> > "Thomas Matthews" <Thomas_MatthewsSpamBotsSuck@sbcglobal.net> wrote in
> > message news:41ED6FA8.5090103@sbcglobal.net...
> > > Ben, a suggestion: also include the link to the
> > > FAQ. Your reply doesn't inform the OP how to get
> > > to the FAQ or where it came from. Hmmmm, kind of
> > > like citing your references. ;-)

> > I'm all for helping folks, but imo the 'hand holding'
> > can get out of hand, causing some to view the regulars
> > here as virtual servants. Anyone can type "C FAQ" into
> > google and find it.

> Such behaviour also helps keep the 'elect' and the mere rabble
> separate. What's more important? To help those who need it, or to show
> disdain for those who don't know what you happen to know?
>
> FAQ's are very often concerned with netiquette and topical definitions;
> and I for one had not assumed there was a collection of 'those' sort of
> frequent questions about C.
>
> However if this (suggested by Google)
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/faq.html
>
> was what you were talking about, it wouldn't open.

I think the server's down.
Try again later.

--
pete