Velocity Reviews

-   -   How to rescue data on a hard disk? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t436206-how-to-rescue-data-on-a-hard-disk.html)

King W.Wang 12-17-2004 01:58 PM

How to rescue data on a hard disk?

Hi all,
I've deleted 2 folders and emptied the trash bin on a hard disk
in Windows XP. And then I found that I've no back-up of these folders.
I want to rescue the data in these folders.
The hard disk with NTFS is connected to the PC through USB. Since
the deletion I've made no writing on this disk.
I can imagine that the data can be rescued, at least a part of them.
A program which does the similar job as CHKDSK in DOS should help me:
The program should read the master file table, save the deleted short
files on another hard disk, and read the addresses (sector, track etc.)
of all files. Then the program should read all other sectors and save
the contents, if they are not empty, on another medium, each sector
being saved in a separate file. And these files can be checked manually
if they should be saved or concatenated with other files.
Is there a free utilities in the web to do this job? Or is there a
similar program with source code, so that I can adapt it to meet my
need? The source should be in C, for I don't know assembly language.
Many thanks!

Weichao Wang

pete 12-17-2004 02:25 PM

[ot]Re: How to rescue data on a hard disk?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...9-1&q=undelete

--
pete

Raymond Martineau 12-17-2004 04:10 PM

On 17 Dec 2004 05:58:40 -0800, king_wwang@yahoo.de (King W.Wang) wrote:

>Hi all,
>I've deleted 2 folders and emptied the trash bin on a hard disk
>in Windows XP. And then I found that I've no back-up of these folders.
>I want to rescue the data in these folders.

comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32 (for information on how to directly
access the disk.)

You also need to get hold of the NTFS specification. You have to contact
Microsoft for that, or find a website that describes it.

Keith Thompson 12-17-2004 09:20 PM

bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau) writes:
> On 17 Dec 2004 05:58:40 -0800, king_wwang@yahoo.de (King W.Wang) wrote:
>>Hi all,
>>I've deleted 2 folders and emptied the trash bin on a hard disk
>>in Windows XP. And then I found that I've no back-up of these folders.
>>I want to rescue the data in these folders.

> comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32 (for information on how to directly
> access the disk.)
>
> You also need to get hold of the NTFS specification. You have to contact
> Microsoft for that, or find a website that describes it.

I think the OP is more interested in retrieving the information than
in knowing the low-level details of how to do it. There are probably
plenty of existing tools to do this.

None of them, of course, are topical in comp.lang.c.