Velocity Reviews

-   -   Newbie Program That Started Off Easy - Simple Math w/ Interactive Menu (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t435658-newbie-program-that-started-off-easy-simple-math-w-interactive-menu.html)

Mike 10-31-2004 01:52 AM

Newbie Program That Started Off Easy - Simple Math w/ Interactive Menu

Hello,

This program uses C. It is meant to convert whatever the current
exchange rate is to dollars. It compiles, builds, and executes
correctly except for a few bugs. When building I get an error that
states;

Linker Error (Severity 4)
Module "a" in file "c:\program files\miracle c\yendollarext.obj"
references unresolved external "_rewind"
at offset 0303H in segment "_text".

I am not sure how to resolve this error.

Also, I attempted to have the program create an error whenever someone
either "chooses" a number higher than 1 "else if(choice > '1')" or
attempts to use an alpha character

"if (isalpha(yen))

{

printf("\n Sorry, that was not a valid option.\n\n");"

break;

in which the program shuts down without displaying the error message.
Any ideas? Here is the code, all help is appreciated.

#include <stdio.h>
#define DRAINO rewind(stdin);fflush(stdout);
#define STOP rewind(stdin); getchar();

int main( void )
{
double yen = 0.0;
double dollars = 0.0;
double yentoDollar = 0.0;

int choice=0;

printf("\nYen to Dollar Currency Conversion\n\n");

printf("Enter 1 to begin Conversionn\n");

printf("Enter 0 to Quit the Program\n\n");

printf("Please select your option:\n\n");

scanf("%d", &choice);

if (choice == 1)

{

printf("\nYou want to convert Yen into US dollars.\n\n");
printf("Please enter the current exchange rate between Dollars and
Yen.\n\n");
scanf( "%lf", &yentoDollar );

if (isalpha(yentoDollar))

{

printf("Sorry, that was not a valid option.");
getchar ();
break;

}

printf("\nHow many Yen do you have?\n\n");
scanf( "%lf", &yen );
if (isalpha(yen))

{

printf("\n Sorry, that was not a valid option.\n\n");

break;

}
dollars = yen * yentoDollar;
printf( "\nThe conversion to US dollars of %.2f yen is %.2f
dollars\n", yen, dollars );

rewind(stdin);

getchar();

}

else if (choice == 0)

{
printf("Program will terminate after you click Enter.\n");
printf("\nHave a nice day!");
getchar ();
return 0;

}

else if(choice > '1')

{

printf("\nProgram will terminate after you click Enter.\n");
printf("\nHave a nice day!");
getchar ();
return 0;

}

}

Thanks in advance!

Mike

CBFalconer 10-31-2004 11:34 AM

Re: Newbie Program That Started Off Easy - Simple Math w/ InteractiveMenu

Mike wrote:

> This program uses C. It is meant to convert whatever the current
> exchange rate is to dollars. It compiles, builds, and executes
> correctly except for a few bugs. When building I get an error that
> states;

.... snip ...

> in which the program shuts down without displaying the error
> message. Any ideas? Here is the code, all help is appreciated.
>
> #include <stdio.h>
> #define DRAINO rewind(stdin);fflush(stdout);
> #define STOP rewind(stdin); getchar();

You can't rewind stdin.

Jens.Toerring@physik.fu-berlin.de 10-31-2004 01:05 PM

Mike <azrent@gmail.com> wrote:
> This program uses C. It is meant to convert whatever the current
> exchange rate is to dollars. It compiles, builds, and executes
> correctly except for a few bugs. When building I get an error that
> states;

> Linker Error (Severity 4)
> Module "a" in file "c:\program files\miracle c\yendollarext.obj"
> references unresolved external "_rewind"
> at offset 0303H in segment "_text".

> I am not sure how to resolve this error.

That's a question that's more or less off-topic here in clc since
it's not about the language C but a problem with a certain compiler/
linker combination. There probably exist better places to ask such
questions, i.e. a forum that deals with your compiler/linker.

I re-indented the program a bit to make it more readable...

> #include <stdio.h>
> #define DRAINO rewind(stdin);fflush(stdout);
> #define STOP rewind(stdin); getchar();

Chuck already told you that you can't rewind() stdin. But since you
don't use these macros you can delete them anyway.

> int main( void )

> {
> double yen = 0.0;
> double dollars = 0.0;
> double yentoDollar = 0.0;
> int choice=0;
>
> printf("\nYen to Dollar Currency Conversion\n\n");
> printf("Enter 1 to begin Conversionn\n");
> printf("Enter 0 to Quit the Program\n\n");
> printf("Please select your option:\n\n");
> scanf("%d", &choice);

Let's hope the user really enters a number otherwise strange things
may happen... Using fgets() to read a complete line and then check
what it contains and, if possible, get the value you're looking for
from the line would be a lot safer.

> if (choice == 1)
> {
> printf("\nYou want to convert Yen into US dollars.\n\n");
> printf("Please enter the current exchange rate between Dollars "
> "and Yen.\n\n");
> scanf( "%lf", &yentoDollar );
>
> if (isalpha(yentoDollar))

'yentoDollar' is a double, not a char, so you can't call isalpha()
on it. What's that supposed to do anyway? If the scanf() call worked
as expected then you can be sure that 'yentoDollar' is a floating
point number (if it's value is reasonable is a different question).

> {
> printf("Sorry, that was not a valid option.");
> getchar ();
> break;

If there was an error wouldn't it make more sense to exit() the
program instead of using a 'break' that doesn't make sense here
since you're not within a loop?

> }
>
> printf("\nHow many Yen do you have?\n\n");
> scanf( "%lf", &yen );
> if (isalpha(yen))

Same problem as above: 'yen' is a double, not a char.

> {
> printf("\n Sorry, that was not a valid option.\n\n");
> break;
> }
>
> dollars = yen * yentoDollar;
> printf( "\nThe conversion to US dollars of %.2f yen is %.2f "
> "dollars\n", yen, dollars );
>
> rewind(stdin);

That rewind() doesn't make sense. What do you expect it to do?

> getchar();
> }
> else if (choice == 0)
> {
> printf("Program will terminate after you click Enter.\n");

Where am I supposed to click on? Didn't you mean "press" instead
of "click"?;-)

> printf("\nHave a nice day!");
> getchar ();
> return 0;
> }
> else if (choice > '1')

I guess you want to compare 'choice' to the number 1, not the character
'1'. And since you seem to want to catch everything here except 0 and 1
(which you already dealt with) you should drop the if clause here
(remember that 'choice' also could be negative).

> {
> printf("\nProgram will terminate after you click Enter.\n");
> printf("\nHave a nice day!");
> getchar ();
> return 0;
> }

You're missing a return statement here (you end here if 'choice' was 1).

> }

Regards, Jens
--
\ Jens Thoms Toerring ___ Jens.Toerring@physik.fu-berlin.de

Michael Hannon 10-31-2004 01:53 PM

Re: Newbie Program That Started Off Easy - Simple Math w/ Interactive Menu

[forewarning - I am relatively new to C myself, and this is the first
time I've responded in c.l.c. Take my answers with a grain of salt,
and a google search for man \function name\ is a better reference than
I]

azrent@gmail.com (Mike) wrote in message news:<7877ca63.0410301752.22d76162@posting.google. com>...
> Hello,
>
> This program uses C. It is meant to convert whatever the current
> exchange rate is to dollars. It compiles, builds, and executes
> correctly except for a few bugs. When building I get an error that
> states;
>
> Linker Error (Severity 4)
> Module "a" in file "c:\program files\miracle c\yendollarext.obj"
> references unresolved external "_rewind"
> at offset 0303H in segment "_text".
>
> I am not sure how to resolve this error.

What compiler are you using? I am not familiar with this error
message. Compiler-specific error questions may be better posted to a
newsgroup dealing with your compiler.

> Also, I attempted to have the program create an error whenever someone
> either "chooses" a number higher than 1 "else if(choice > '1')"
> or attempts to use an alpha character
>
> "if (isalpha(yen))
>
> {
>
> printf("\n Sorry, that was not a valid option.\n\n");"
>
> break;
>
> in which the program shuts down without displaying the error message.
> Any ideas? Here is the code, all help is appreciated.
>
> #include <stdio.h>
> #define DRAINO rewind(stdin);fflush(stdout);
> #define STOP rewind(stdin); getchar();
>

> int main( void )
> {
> double yen = 0.0;
> double dollars = 0.0;
> double yentoDollar = 0.0;
>
> int choice=0;
>

> printf("\nYen to Dollar Currency Conversion\n\n");
>
> printf("Enter 1 to begin Conversionn\n");
>
> printf("Enter 0 to Quit the Program\n\n");
>

> printf("Please select your option:\n\n");
>
> scanf("%d", &choice);
>

> if (choice == 1)
>
> {
>
> printf("\nYou want to convert Yen into US dollars.\n\n");
> printf("Please enter the current exchange rate between Dollars and
> Yen.\n\n");
> scanf( "%lf", &yentoDollar );

I may be wrong, but "%f" should used instead of "%lf" - you are not
using a long double.

> if (isalpha(yentoDollar))
>
> {
>
> printf("Sorry, that was not a valid option.");
> getchar ();
> break;
>
> }

isalpha() requires the library <ctype.h>. However, if the user enters
a letter, scanf will not put anything into \yentoDollar\ and the
condition if(isalpha(yentoDollar)) will always evaluate as false.
Assuming you want the program to shut down on invalid input, the
following would be a better method for data input and checking
(tab-spacing mangled by google groups):

char line_Buffer[100];
fgets(line_Buffer, sizeof(line), stdin);
if(sscanf(line_Buffer, "%f", &yentoDollar) != 1) {
printf("Sorry, that was not a valid option.\n");
return(1);
}

This will make your program exit if the user does not enter a float or
double. You may also want to check if the user entered a negative
number, and use a loop to continue prompting the user until valid
input has been entered.

> printf("\nHow many Yen do you have?\n\n");
> scanf( "%lf", &yen );
> if (isalpha(yen))
>
> {
>
> printf("\n Sorry, that was not a valid option.\n\n");
>
> break;
>
> }

Again, isalpha() should not be used, and "%f" should be used instead
of "%lf". See above.

> dollars = yen * yentoDollar;
> printf( "\nThe conversion to US dollars of %.2f yen is %.2f
> dollars\n", yen, dollars );
>

> rewind(stdin);

Why are you calling rewind()? It seems unnecessary.

> getchar();
>
> }
>
> else if (choice == 0)
>
> {
> printf("Program will terminate after you click Enter.\n");
> printf("\nHave a nice day!");
> getchar ();
> return 0;
>
> }
>
> else if(choice > '1')

Your variable 'choice' is an int, so you do not need the single-quotes
around the number 1. Also, your program's behavior is the same if
choice == 0 or choice > 1, so the two conditions can be combined into
one. Futhermore, you leave open the possibility that \choice\ will be
negative. I suggest you modify the condition like so:

else if(choice <= 0 || choice > 1) {
/* print message and exit */
}

> {
>
> printf("\nProgram will terminate after you click Enter.\n");
> printf("\nHave a nice day!");
> getchar ();
> return 0;
>
> }
>
> }
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Mike

Your welcome! I hope this helps.

Best,
Michael Hannon
michael.hannon@NOSPAM.gmail.com

Jens.Toerring@physik.fu-berlin.de 10-31-2004 05:02 PM

Michael Hannon <michael.hannon@gmail.com> wrote:
>> printf("\nYou want to convert Yen into US dollars.\n\n");
>> printf("Please enter the current exchange rate between Dollars and
>> Yen.\n\n");
>> scanf( "%lf", &yentoDollar );
>>

> I may be wrong, but "%f" should used instead of "%lf" - you are not
> using a long double.

That's not the case. You need '%f" for a float and "%lf" for a double
(and 'yentoDollar' is a double), at least with scanf() and the related
functions fscanf() and sscanf(). IIRC, you would need "%Lf" for a long
double. Please note that there's an asymmetry between the scanf() and
the printf() functions, for printf() you need a "%f" both for float and
double.
Regards, Jens
--
\ Jens Thoms Toerring ___ Jens.Toerring@physik.fu-berlin.de

Mike 10-31-2004 06:51 PM

Re: Newbie Program That Started Off Easy - Simple Math w/ Interactive Menu

CBFalconer wrote

You can't rewind stdin.

Thanks, that was easy to get rid of the error message, but how do I
get the program to rewind to the beginning?

Jens.Toerring@physik.fu-berlin.de 10-31-2004 07:06 PM

Mike <azrent@gmail.com> wrote:
> CBFalconer wrote

> You can't rewind stdin.

> Thanks, that was easy to get rid of the error message, but how do I
> get the program to rewind to the beginning?

I guess by "rewinding to the beginning" you mean that you want to
ask the user again what (s)he wants to do after you did a conversion.
For that you must put everything in a loop, probably a do or while loop
would be most suitable.

You could e.g. run your code in a infinite loop like this:

while( 1 ) { /* repeats infinitely since 1 is always true */

do everything you did before in here

}

and do either a 'break' from that loop if the user want's to stop
or exit() directly in that case.

Regards, Jens
--
\ Jens Thoms Toerring ___ Jens.Toerring@physik.fu-berlin.de

Mike 10-31-2004 10:48 PM

michael.hannon@gmail.com (Michael Hannon) wrote in message news:<75f9b0f0.0410310553.4d0a0590@posting.google. com>...
> [...]

> > else if (choice == 0)
> >
> > {
> > printf("Program will terminate after you click Enter.\n");
> > printf("\nHave a nice day!");
> > getchar ();
> > return 0;
> >
> > }
> >
> > else if(choice > '1')
> >

> Your variable 'choice' is an int, so you do not need the single-quotes
> around the number 1. Also, your program's behavior is the same if
> choice == 0 or choice > 1, so the two conditions can be combined into
> one. Futhermore, you leave open the possibility that \choice\ will be
> negative. I suggest you modify the condition like so:
>
> else if(choice <= 0 || choice > 1) {
> /* print message and exit */
> }
>
> > {
> >
> > printf("\nProgram will terminate after you click Enter.\n");

Thanks, I have changed the program. Do you by chance know how to add a
Sentinel or how I can make this program re-start without using
"rewind(stdin);"? I have listed the program below with changes.

#include <stdio.h>

int main( void )
{
double yen = 0.0;
double dollars = 0.0;
double yentoDollar = 0.0;
int choice=0;

printf("\nYen to Dollar Currency Conversion\n\n");

printf("Enter 1 to Begin Conversion\n\n");

printf("\n(Entering anything other than 1 will Terminate the
Program!)\n\n");

printf("Please select your option:\n\n");

scanf("%d", &choice);

if (choice == 1)

{

printf("\nYou want to convert Yen into US dollars.\n\n");
printf("Please enter the current exchange rate of Yen to
Dollars.\n\n");
scanf( "%lf", &yentoDollar );

printf("\nHow many Yen do you have?\n\n");
scanf( "%lf", &yen );
dollars = yen * yentoDollar;
printf( "\nThe conversion to US dollars of %.2f yen is %.2f
dollars\n", yen, dollars );

rewind(stdin);

getchar();

}

else if(choice <= 0 || choice > 1)

{
printf("Program will terminate after you Press Enter.\n");
printf("\nHave a nice day!");
getchar();
exit ();

}

}

Thanks,
Mike

CBFalconer 10-31-2004 11:07 PM

Mike wrote:
> CBFalconer wrote
>
>> You can't rewind stdin.

> Thanks, that was easy to get rid of the error message, but how do I
> get the program to rewind to the beginning?

If it's inputting from stdin, you don't.

Mike 11-01-2004 02:26 AM

Jens.Toerring@physik.fu-berlin.de wrote in message news:<2ukrdmF2alnivU1@uni-berlin.de>...
> Mike <azrent@gmail.com> wrote:
> > CBFalconer wrote

> > You can't rewind stdin.

> > Thanks, that was easy to get rid of the error message, but how do I
> > get the program to rewind to the beginning?

> I guess by "rewinding to the beginning" you mean that you want to
> ask the user again what (s)he wants to do after you did a conversion.
> For that you must put everything in a loop, probably a do or while loop
> would be most suitable.
>
> You could e.g. run your code in a infinite loop like this:
>
> while( 1 ) { /* repeats infinitely since 1 is always true */
>
> do everything you did before in here
>
> }
>
> and do either a 'break' from that loop if the user want's to stop
> or exit() directly in that case.
>
> Regards, Jens

Thanks, that worked!