Velocity Reviews

-   -   Microsoft fails yet again to deliver as promised (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t43480-microsoft-fails-yet-again-to-deliver-as-promised.html)

Tobin 11-19-2003 04:22 AM

Microsoft fails yet again to deliver as promised

Microsoft has lied to me yet again.

Perhaps Microsoft themselves should "analyze" their own
requirements because for the last time, they have screwed
this developer out of his hard-earned work.

Microsoft threw down the gauntlet for developers on the
MCSD.NET track. They said [paraphrase] "Get your MCSD by
September 30th, and you'll be recognized as an Early
Adopter." You can find the exact wording here:
http://www.microsoft.com/traincert/m...d/benefits.asp
in the first paragraph.

I have been so wrapped up in work that I didn't hear about
this information until mid-September. Someone joked and
said "you better hurry up" thinking I wouldn't try. Well,
I took my first test on September 9th, and had my MCAD
within a week. At this point, I could have either kept up
this pace, or stretched things out to take my last exam on
the 30th. I wanted to be certain that I didn't screw up
so I called Microsoft and verified that I would indeed get
the EA credential if I took the exam Tuesday morning
(September 30th). It was inconvenient for me to take the
exam on the 29th due to a meeting, but I would have
rescheduled if I had known what was to come.

I took the final exam I had to take at 9:15am and passed.
All done. I had accomplished my goal and taken all 5
exams within a 21 day time period despite a busy work
schedule. I realized today that I had yet to receive my
updated wallet card with the MCSD. I called to inquire
and Microsoft apologized for not getting it out. However,
being that I'm sure they don't keep reproducing "Early
Adopter" cards like the rest of the cards I said, "Mine
will still say Early Adopter on it, wont it?"

The CSR paused and said, "I don't see that you got that
certification. What is it?"

He waited longer and searched before stating, "That is
only for the first couple thousand people, it wasn't based
on a date."

I said, "No, that's the MCAD 'Charter Member' credential.
I'm talking about the MCSD Early Adopter."

He said, "let me look".

After waiting he said "who told you about this? I don't
see anything about it."

I had to tell him it was on the MS website and had to find
it. He came back and pointed me to another site
(http://www.microsoft.com/traincert/m.../showcase.asp).
This site said I had to get it _before_ September 30th
which conflicts with the link above and has different
wording. So instead of saying "yeah, the wording was
kinda misleading" Microsoft has chosen to disrespect a
developer that has long evangelized their products,
authored books about their software, and sold many
solutions that have made them money (not that I make up a
large portion of their gross revenue or anything).

This is the last time. I'm turning all my efforts to Java
as soon as I possibly can. I will run Linux at home. I
will sell my XBox and get another console. I'll have a
Microsoft software burning party in my backyard. I'll
offer free Linux courses on a weekly basis in my
neighborhood and allow anyone else who wants to come in.
I'm going to start developing Linux solutions for charity
in my spare time.

Why am I so ticked over this? Whats the big deal? Because
I am tired of being lied to by Microsoft. I'm tired of
Microsoft treating developers like they don't matter. I'm
sick of the whole system they've created. They need
competition.. and they need it badly. They are second-
rate in support and always will be until they HAVE to
provide good support and are FORCED to be reasonable.
They cut back on benefits for getting certified mostly
because they themselves know that certification doesn't
mean anything to employers.

Go ahead and get certified. See if it actually brings you
anything. MIcrosoft wont think any better of you.
Microsoft doesn't even consider certification of value
within the organization. They don't think any better of
you for getting certified, why should other employers?
I'm telling you now, Sun will welcome you and give you
support if you get certified in their program. They'll
show their appreciation by giving you things you deserve
for your hard work.

Fluker 11-19-2003 07:56 AM

Re: Microsoft fails yet again to deliver as promised

And what's the point of this mail ?

You want to warn us or want to address microsoft
about grievance you had ?

In either case, nothing is going to change.

Next, Going to linux/java doesn't solve this problem, because
atleast you found someone to answer at microsoft, for others
you won't even find the support rep!

Best Regards,
FLu.

"Tobin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> Microsoft treating developers like they don't matter. I'm
> sick of the whole system they've created. They need
> competition.. and they need it badly. They are second-
> rate in support and always will be until they HAVE to
> provide good support and are FORCED to be reasonable.
> They cut back on benefits for getting certified mostly
> because they themselves know that certification doesn't
> mean anything to employers.
>
> Go ahead and get certified. See if it actually brings you
> anything. MIcrosoft wont think any better of you.
> Microsoft doesn't even consider certification of value
> within the organization. They don't think any better of
> you for getting certified, why should other employers?
> I'm telling you now, Sun will welcome you and give you
> support if you get certified in their program. They'll
> show their appreciation by giving you things you deserve

11-19-2003 01:03 PM

Re: Microsoft fails yet again to deliver as promised

But will Sun print "Early Adopter" on your certification card? I think
probably not either.

By the way, if you have Visual Studio.NET 2002 or 2003 Enterprise Developer,
don't burn it yet. I'll buy it from you.

WKidd

> [...]
> Microsoft treating developers like they don't matter. I'm
> sick of the whole system they've created. They need
> competition.. and they need it badly. They are second-
> rate in support and always will be until they HAVE to
> provide good support and are FORCED to be reasonable.
> They cut back on benefits for getting certified mostly
> because they themselves know that certification doesn't
> mean anything to employers.
>
> Go ahead and get certified. See if it actually brings you
> anything. MIcrosoft wont think any better of you.
> Microsoft doesn't even consider certification of value
> within the organization. They don't think any better of
> you for getting certified, why should other employers?
> I'm telling you now, Sun will welcome you and give you
> support if you get certified in their program. They'll
> show their appreciation by giving you things you deserve

11-19-2003 01:19 PM

Re: Microsoft fails yet again to deliver as promised

No, actually, I just want people to see how Microsoft
treats their "premium" certified people -- the people
that make their crap work in solutions. I wont
get "Early Achiever" on my certificate from Sun. But
then again, they didn't promise it. Sun has never lied
like Microsoft has. If they say they will do something
they do it.

So my point in posting is mostly just so this will be one
more voice in the wind. Sooner or later, all these
voices will be heard.

(http://www.microsoft.com/traincert/m...d/showcase.asp)
..
>> This site said I had to get it _before_ September 30th
>> which conflicts with the link above and has different
>> wording. So instead of saying "yeah, the wording was
>> kinda misleading" Microsoft has chosen to disrespect a
>> developer that has long evangelized their products,
>> authored books about their software, and sold many
>> solutions that have made them money (not that I make

up a
>> large portion of their gross revenue or anything).
>>
>> This is the last time. I'm turning all my efforts to

Java
>> as soon as I possibly can. I will run Linux at home. I
>> will sell my XBox and get another console. I'll have a
>> Microsoft software burning party in my backyard. I'll
>> offer free Linux courses on a weekly basis in my
>> neighborhood and allow anyone else who wants to come

in.
>> I'm going to start developing Linux solutions for

charity
>> in my spare time.
>>
>> Why am I so ticked over this? Whats the big deal?

Because
>> I am tired of being lied to by Microsoft. I'm tired of
>> Microsoft treating developers like they don't matter.

I'm
>> sick of the whole system they've created. They need
>> competition.. and they need it badly. They are second-
>> rate in support and always will be until they HAVE to
>> provide good support and are FORCED to be reasonable.
>> They cut back on benefits for getting certified mostly
>> because they themselves know that certification doesn't
>> mean anything to employers.
>>
>> Go ahead and get certified. See if it actually brings

you
>> anything. MIcrosoft wont think any better of you.
>> Microsoft doesn't even consider certification of value
>> within the organization. They don't think any better

of
>> you for getting certified, why should other employers?
>> I'm telling you now, Sun will welcome you and give you
>> support if you get certified in their program. They'll
>> show their appreciation by giving you things you

deserve
>> for your hard work.

>.

11-19-2003 01:21 PM

Re: Microsoft fails yet again to deliver as promised

I unfortunately do own this crap along with Office XP,
Office 11, betas of products that I'm under obligation
not to name here, and a lot more. I'm sorry, but I wont
give them away. They, too, will be destroyed.

11-19-2003 01:49 PM

Re: Microsoft fails yet again to deliver as promised

I'll pay you $300 for it. You'll need the cash when it comes time to take
the Sun certification exams.

Charlie 11-19-2003 02:01 PM

Re: Microsoft fails yet again to deliver as promised

I what you are experiencing is normal for M$.

I missed a project deadline because of their product activation policies and
procedures

What I learned from them is a very simple lesson

To them, their profits are more important than my success.

They have grown so big that they don't understand this anymore.

> No, actually, I just want people to see how Microsoft
> treats their "premium" certified people -- the people
> that make their crap work in solutions. I wont
> get "Early Achiever" on my certificate from Sun. But
> then again, they didn't promise it. Sun has never lied
> like Microsoft has. If they say they will do something
> they do it.
>
> So my point in posting is mostly just so this will be one
> more voice in the wind. Sooner or later, all these
> voices will be heard.

11-19-2003 02:32 PM

Re: Microsoft fails yet again to deliver as promised

I'm not one to need extra cash and I have no intention of
letting these software or Microsoft abuse anyone else
with the stuff I have in my hands. Go get yourself a
copy of SharpDevelop if you simply must develop in C# and
need an IDE. It's free, and I'll just bet you'll get more
help on it than anyone else will give you. And if you do
run into a bug, the source code is available so you can
fix the problem yourself.

11-19-2003 03:41 PM

Re: Microsoft fails yet again to deliver as promised

Seriously, if you're not going to use it, then I'll buy it from you. Do you
have a MSDN subscription?

Clint Kennedy 11-19-2003 05:05 PM

Re: Microsoft fails yet again to deliver as promised

Hmm, I hate to be a jerk here, but the exact wording on the original link
says:

"Earn the Microsoft Certified Solution Developer (MCSD) for Microsoft .NET
certification by September 30, 2003."

To me, that is ambiguous. It does not say "September 30th, inclusive." It
simply says "*by* Sept 30th." Does that mean "by 00:00:00 11/30/03" ??
This is not clear wording.

It would've been much more prudent, since you place such a strong importance
on having "Early Adopter" on your wallet card, to make a phone call
beforehand to clarify the wording.

As for the clueless CSR, who among us HASN'T had to speak to a clueless CSR.
There are REASONS they work customer service. This is not reason to label
Microsoft and it's products as "bad."

I would say the fault here lies with you, not Microsoft. If I were
Microsoft, I would be happy to see you go.

Enjoy Linux!

- C