Velocity Reviews

-   -   ADO Cursor location - HELP (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t43444-ado-cursor-location-help.html)

11-12-2003 01:57 PM

ADO Cursor location - HELP

Hi,
I know this post is some what irrelavant to this site, but
I thought I'll try my luck here.
Can some one please explain the answer to the following
question. I find the question a bit vague and the best way
of reducing network traffic is to have client-side cursor,
I would have thought.
"the data in the result ", I suppose this refers to a
recordset.
Your help is much appreciated.

QUESTION:
You are developing a client/server application. The client
application will access only some of the data in the
result set .You want to minimize the amount of network
traffic. Which type of database cursor should you
use in the application?

A. dynamic server-side cursor

B. dynamic keyset client-side with pessimistic locking

C. static client-side cursor with optimistic locking

D. non-keysetclient-side cursor.

THANKS
VIJI

ND 11-12-2003 03:38 PM

Re: ADO Cursor location - HELP

If you have a client side cursor then you are stepping through the data one
row at a time from the client while looking at data all way back on the
database server. So, every row will have to be fetched, one at a time, from
the database to the client. That's a ton of round trips. Cursors step
through data one row at a time, they do not contain data, they just look at
it one row at a time. Moving the cursor to the client does not move the
data too. The data stays in the database and so the cursor must pull each
row of data from the database. The closer the cursor is to the DB the less
network traffic. The only reason you would want to move the cursor out of
the database is to reduce the CPU load on the DB server. If you want to
move the data to the client, in one big chunk, you must use a DataSet.

Clear?
ND

Davin Mickelson 11-12-2003 05:41 PM

Re: ADO Cursor location - HELP

Hi.

Couldn't you find the answer to your question on the dump site you recommend
under the post titled, "Study Material or Dumps"?

The mere mention of that site sickens me...

Check it out - learn about ADO cursors in MSDN and figure out the answer
yourself. You'll truly benefit from the research.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en...on_07_5lpz.asp

I apologize in advance if it was someone else sharing your surname in the
other post.
Davin Mickelson, MCSD.NET, MCSA

Kline Sphere 11-12-2003 08:27 PM

Re: ADO Cursor location - HELP

>Check it out - learn about ADO cursors in MSDN and figure out the answer
>yourself. You'll truly benefit from the research.
>http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en...on_07_5lpz.asp

You are too kind. I find it amazing that these morons do not have the
intelligence to find the answers out for themselves.

Thank god they can't get any work.