Velocity Reviews

-   -   Enabling Internet Access for 'Limited Account' users (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t4342-enabling-internet-access-for-limited-account-users.html)

=?Utf-8?B?U3ViYmFyYXl1ZHU=?= 09-04-2004 11:41 PM

Enabling Internet Access for 'Limited Account' users

Greetings,

This question has been posted previously but I have not seen an answer. I am
having trouble enabling Internet Access to users setup as a 'Limited
Account'. Here is a brief description of the problem and setup:

Internet Access: High Speed Internet via Cable Modem
Access Point: NetGear Wireless Router
Laptop: XP Pro with SP1 and 802.11b Wireless card
Problem: Users with a 'Limited Account' profile cannot access the Internet.
They cannnot even ping the router's IP address.
Workaround: User with an administrator account capability logs on first.
Then switches to the limited account userid. Now the limited user account can
access the Internet without problems.

How can I fix this problem without having to first login as an
administrator? Please share your solutions. Thanks.

Cheers
Subbarayudu

Pavel A. 09-05-2004 09:37 PM

Re: Enabling Internet Access for 'Limited Account' users

This seems to be a driver bug, like the config utility or service of the wireless adapter
fails to work under limited account.

Or, if you have advanced security setup (802.1x, Radius server, IAS etc), it
is not properly set to recognize credentials of your limited accounts.

--PA

=?Utf-8?B?aHVtYmxlc2x1Zw==?= 10-08-2004 05:57 PM

Re: Enabling Internet Access for 'Limited Account' users

I am having the same trouble with 3 limited accounts on the computer and two
administrators, the limited accounts can not login to the internet unless an
admnistrator logs in first.

I have a DWL 520+ adapter, I have tried the latest software.

Is it one of the paremeters contained with the driver?

Any help appreciated

Subbarayudu 10-08-2004 10:10 PM

Re: Enabling Internet Access for 'Limited Account' users

I am still having this problem. I have even tried to install the
drivers under the limited user by providing them administrator
privileges during the installation process. Internet access works fine
as long as the limited user is setup with administrator privileges.
There is no internet access when I switch the user back to a limited
user. Any other hints or suggestions will be very helpful. Thanks.

Subbarayudu
sdarisi@hotmail.com

=?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbCBCLg==?= 10-27-2004 10:59 PM

Re: Enabling Internet Access for 'Limited Account' users

I am having the exact same problem...has anyone found a solution yet. It is
not inconceivable that a system would be setup with internet access for
limited users. It seems to work fine *if* no WEP or WAP. But, I have
changed this so many times, I have lost count...All I know for sure is that
for my limited users to access the Internet, the admin has to be logged
in...very irritating problem...Any help would be greatly appreciated...Thanks
to all in advance.

T. Robinson 10-28-2004 02:19 PM

Re: Enabling Internet Access for 'Limited Account' users

I don't know if it's related, but none of my non-administrators can get the
wireless network to work at all--Internet or local network. If I give them
admin rights, it fixes the problem. My setup is....

-A Belkin Wireless G Desktop Network Card
-A DLink AirPlus Xtreme G High-Speed 2.4GHz (802.11g) Wireless 108Mbps1
Router
-Windows XP with SP2

I tried rolling back SP2, but it didn't fix it.

Subbarayudu 11-02-2004 02:45 AM

Re: Enabling Internet Access for 'Limited Account' users

I have tried all of the options suggested but got nowhere! Here is
what I came across during one my web surfing sessions. And it worked!
I followed the logic and sequence listed and voila! Hope this helps
others too.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;Product=winxp

Imagine getting a solution from the MS knowledge base...:-)

Cheers
Subbarayudu

Troy Whistman 11-08-2004 03:04 PM

Re: Enabling Internet Access for 'Limited Account' users

I am having the same issues, with a computer connected via a LinkSys
Wireless 802.11b card to our cable modem 802.11b router upstairs.

I see some people say that if somebody is logged in as an
Administrator, it will work for the limited accounts. That has not
been my experience. For me, administrators can access the internet,
but limited account users cannot. For limited accounts, the tray icon
for the zero-config-wireless shows that I am connected, and that I
have an IP address, but I cannot browse to any intra- or internet
resources (sites), cannot ping any addresses by name or IP, etc.

Anybody have a solution?

Troy

=?Utf-8?B?RWQ=?= 01-12-2005 05:17 AM

=?Utf-8?B?RWQ=?= 01-12-2005 05:25 AM

Re: Enabling Internet Access for 'Limited Account' users

I have same issues on my system. I have a Belkin Router and wireless adapter
card. I called them and they told me that the account must have
administrator rights in order for it to enable the wireless network.

Go figure, does not make any sense to me that they would not allow a limited
account user have access to the wireless network/internet.